Official NFL Offseason Thread

Cleveland Browns defensive back Kenny Wright was arrested Thursday after police said he led them on a quarter-mile foot chase that began in the parking lot of the police station.
So stupid...you can't even say he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Must have been gone out his mind.
smh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I didnt even read the article til Now
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That cant be right can it? Da @$*@ he was doin in the police parking lot with Weed in the first place.

I cant stop laughin at this

That cant be right can it? Da @$*@ he was doin in the police parking lot with Weed in the first place.
I was hoping you or somebody knew more about it, because that's what I was sitting here trying to figure out too.

It takes a special kind of dufus to do something like that.

This was arrest was actually from 2006, but the arresting officer's notes just became public the other day....you all have to read this....
smh.gif

264115000.jpg

Jaguar back gave officer an earful

Brian Williams went on a purple rant after being stopped in 2006.

By Paul Pinkham, The Times-Union

Jaguars defensive back Brian Williams went off on a sexual, racist and profane rant aimed at Jacksonville police during his 2006 drunken driving arrest, according to recently obtained documents from his ongoing prosecution.

Notes taken by Officer E.E. Bridges shortly after the arrest reflect Williams profanely threatening sex acts with the officer's wife and daughter and later called Bridges, who is white, a "h****" coupled with a sexual epithet. Williams, who is black, also said the officer arrested him because he was jealous of his date and that Williams was "an [n-word]'' in a Bentley, according to the officer's notes.

"Almost every other rant was racial," Bridges wrote in the handwritten report. "Loud and yelling throughout ride to jail."

Williams also offered to let Bridges have sex with his date "if you let me go," according to the officer's notes.

The incident wasn't taped.

Another Jaguar, Khalif Barnes, launched a similar rant when he was arrested two months later. His was captured on videotape.

Williams, 28, apologized after the incident and following news reports indicated he made racially provocative comments. But the actual statements were not part of the public record at that time.

He declined comment Tuesday through his attorney, Hank Coxe. "I didn't say anything in 2006, but it isn't within Brian Williams' makeup to be the one to initiate any racial remarks," Coxe said.

Jaguars spokesman Dan Edwards said the team has no comment on Williams' remarks. Assistant State Attorney Richard Mantei, who is prosecuting Williams, also declined to discuss the case.

Then new to Jacksonville, Williams was arrested in September 2006 on West Bay Street downtown after swerving and running Bridges' patrol car into a curb, according to a police report. The player was coming from Club Paris at The Jacksonville Landing and refused to submit to a blood-alcohol test.

Williams didn't reveal he played for the Jaguars, and Bridges indicated in his notes that he didn't learn that until the next morning on the Internet. Williams was a recent acquisition from the Minnesota Vikings and had just received a $10 million signing bonus.

Williams immediately pleaded guilty, received a standard six-month probation sentence and suspended license and apologized to the team, police and community. But later that month, Williams returned to court saying he wanted to withdraw his plea because he didn't understand its ramifications, didn't think he could pay a $2,500 bail and wanted to get out of jail.

Three months ago, an appellate judge allowed him to withdraw the plea over the state's objections, and the case began anew. A pretrial hearing is scheduled Monday.

The Times-Union obtained Bridges' notes Monday through a public records request seeking recent filings in the case. The document reveals Williams ranting about everything from sex to social status.

According to the report, Williams said he would rather flip burgers than be a police officer and bragged that he went to a "name college" while the (expletive deleted) officer "went to public college, probably junior college." Williams attended North Carolina State University.

Asked if he wanted his female passenger to take his car, Williams replied, "I ain't letting that ho take my car," Bridges wrote. Advised that a tow truck was the only alternative, Bridges said Williams responded: "Let the [expletive deleted] take it."

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/040208/met_264114945.shtml

Garrard signs seven-year, $60 million contract with Jags

Associated Press

Updated: April 7, 2008, 6:00 PM ET

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Quarterback David Garrard probably could have gotten the Jacksonville Jaguars to pay him more money.

But he was tired of negotiating.

So Garrard ended the contract process Monday, signing a seven-year, $60 million contract that is the richest in franchise history.

"I pretty much had to say, 'Let's go ahead and wrap it up. I'm done,'" Garrard said. "It's too much stress on me and my family. My wife was done five weeks ago. She's already been on board with everything. We just kept working on it and I finally just said, 'You know what, I'd rather be happy now, have the city happy now, have the team, the organization, the owner happy now than trying to string something out having everybody on edge.'"

Garrard and his agent, Albert Irby, had been seeking something similar to the six-year, $67.5 million contract Dallas quarterback Tony Romo signed last season.

But Garrard settled for the latest offer because he "felt like it was time."

"I've just seen it too many times," he said. "I just didn't want to go through it myself. There's way too many things that can happen to you between here and now and when you're trying to get this done and that done. Is it really worth it? I just said, 'It's time to make everybody happy' because I was already happy."

A career backup who beat out Byron Leftwich last preseason, Garrard was entering the final year of a four-year deal that paid about $2 million annually.

The Jaguars were eager to get him under contract after his first season as a full-time starter.

The 30-year-old Garrard completed 64 percent of his passes for 2,509 yards and 18 touchdowns despite missing three games because of an ankle injury. He threw just three interceptions and finished with the NFL's third-highest passer rating (102.2), proving head coach Jack Del Rio made the right move when he announced his quarterback decision a week before the season opener.

"When you look at what transpired and how David responded, I think that's what's most impressive," Del Rio said. "A lot of people may have gotten down, gotten down on themselves, gotten bitter at me for the decision. Any number of things could have taken place that would have led to a different outcome.

"What you see is a young man that persevered, ultimately a coach that saw something, took a shot with him, and now we're together here for the foreseeable future here in Jacksonville, and tied together and hungry for more."

The Jaguars expect Garrard to be even better this season, with the addition of receivers Jerry Porter and Troy Williamson and another year in Dirk Koetter's offense.

"To have David lead this team for the next seven years, it really gives us the stability and the continuity that we need to compete at the highest level and bring a championship to Jacksonville and hopefully multiple championships," owner Wayne Weaver said. "David has earned this."
Well earned
pimp.gif

I wouldn't get too excited about that until i find out how much guaranteed money Garrard earned.

I'd be willing to bet that contract is heavily back loaded considering he's 30 and it's a 7 year contract.

He won't be playing until he's 37.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Gabriel, out of the NFL last year, signs with Bengals to boost WRs[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: April 8, 2008, 5:45 PM ET

4625.jpg

Gabriel

CINCINNATI -- Receiver Doug Gabriel, who was out of the NFL last season, signed a one-year contract Tuesday with the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Bengals added Gabriel to their thin receiving corps after they released No. 3 receiver Chris Henry last week following his latest arrest.

Oakland drafted Gabriel out of Central Florida in the fifth round in 2003. He played for the Raiders through 2005, and was traded to New England. Oakland claimed him off waivers during the 2006 season, then released him last August.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

tired.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ Jeanty on the Bengals with Doug

I'll hit u on AIM

but
laugh.gif
@ the Bengals for getting rid of CHris Henry and then Signing this "character"
roll.gif

Report: Raiders agree to deal with defensive end Spires

The Oakland Raiders reportedly have found their replacement for Chris Clemons at defensive end.

The San Francisco Chronicle, citing an unnamed source, reported that the Raiders have agreed to a one-year deal with former Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Greg Spires.

Spires will be counted on to help fill the void left by Clemons, who signed a free-agent contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Spires, who spent the last six seasons with the Buccaneers, has 39½ career sacks and also recorded a sack in Tampa Bay's victory over Oakland in Super Bowl XXXVII.

He was released by the Buccaneers this offseason in a salary-cap move.

Clemons, who tied for the team high in sacks with eight in 2007, signed a five-year contract with the Eagles in March.

Our D is only gettin better
pimp.gif

Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Ex-RB Hambrick gets five years in prison for selling crack cocaine

Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- A Tampa judge has sentenced former NFL running back Troy Hambrick to five years in prison for selling crack cocaine.
The former Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals player was sentenced Tuesday by U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday.Hambrick pleaded guilty on Feb. 26 to one count of distributing 50 grams or more of crack cocaine.Court documents show Hambrick sold the drugs in 2007 to confidential informants near his home in Lacoochee, about 40 miles north of Tampa.Hambrick's NFL career spanned five seasons. His best year was 2003 when he rushed for 972 yards and five touchdowns for Dallas.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3394121&type=story

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Ex-RB Hambrick gets five years in prison for selling crack cocaine

Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- A Tampa judge has sentenced former NFL running back Troy Hambrick to five years in prison for selling crack cocaine.
The former Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals player was sentenced Tuesday by U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday.Hambrick pleaded guilty on Feb. 26 to one count of distributing 50 grams or more of crack cocaine.Court documents show Hambrick sold the drugs in 2007 to confidential informants near his home in Lacoochee, about 40 miles north of Tampa.Hambrick's NFL career spanned five seasons. His best year was 2003 when he rushed for 972 yards and five touchdowns for Dallas.

eek.gif

All he got was 5 years for 50 grams of crack???

Report: Raiders agree to deal with defensive end Spires
The Oakland Raiders reportedly have found their replacement for Chris Clemons at defensive end.

The San Francisco Chronicle, citing an unnamed source, reported that the Raiders have agreed to a one-year deal with former Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Greg Spires.

Spires will be counted on to help fill the void left by Clemons, who signed a free-agent contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Spires, who spent the last six seasons with the Buccaneers, has 39½ career sacks and also recorded a sack in Tampa Bay's victory over Oakland in Super Bowl XXXVII.

He was released by the Buccaneers this offseason in a salary-cap move.

Clemons, who tied for the team high in sacks with eight in 2007, signed a five-year contract with the Eagles in March.
Greg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Joe Horn wants a trade. Joe Horn wants the chance to win a Super Bowl, which makes me wonder why he signed here in the first place...

Joe might as well chill and wait to get cut in June. Nobody is trading for Joe Horn.

The WR position might be the one spot on the Falcons that isn't totally devoid of talent (I guess RB is included, too. Maybe Linebacker...), as odd as thatseems to say now...took us long enough.
ohwell.gif

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/05/12/falcons_0513.html

Flowery Branch - Falcons veteran wide receiver Joe Horn said Monday that he would like to be traded instead of remaining with the team as a "just-in-case guy."

"I want to win a Super Bowl and I want to win a Super Bowl here in Atlanta, but I don't think I can help this team win a Super Bowl sitting on the bench, waiting for third down," Horn said.

Horn said he had not approached the team yet about his desire to be dealt but that him and/or his agent would in the near future.

When told of Horn's remarks, general manager Thomas Dimitroff said: "He is still part of our team and we still see a future for him here."

Horn said that he would be professional for as long as he remains with the Falcons. He said he hopes the Falcons will push to deal him to a team who values him as a contributor.

"They're going with the younger guys and I don't have a problem with that, if that's the course they've chosen," Horn said. "I want to have an opportunity to play with a team that needs a veteran to play and contribute and who helps the young guys.

Also, Jimmy Williams is a bum...
grin.gif

Flowery Branch - Jimmy Williams, the Falcons' top draft pick in 2006, said he annoyed the coaching staff by reporting to offseason workouts overweight. He is said to weigh more than 230 pounds, although he is listed at 212.
"They're a little upset about that," Williams said of his weight gain. "They want me like 215. Me at 215 is skinny. It's me trying to get down to what they want."

Dude has been moved from CB to Safety and back more times than I can count, which isn't really fair to him...but get your $%$ in shape.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ Jeanty on the Bengals with Doug

I'll hit u on AIM

but
laugh.gif
@ the Bengals for getting rid of CHris Henry and then Signing this "character"
roll.gif
nerd.gif

i remember that bum Troy Hambrick cowboy fans thought he was the future
laugh.gif
tired.gif

and jimmy williams is trying to say 230 isnt out of shape for a CB?
roll.gif

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8098806?MSNHPHMA

Woman told police Bills WR beat up father

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) - A woman called police saying Buffalo Bills rookie wide receiver James Hardy was beating up his father and had pulled a gun when she yelled for him to stop.

The witness told officers she called out for Hardy to stop after hearing a loud noise in the back yard about 1:30 p.m. Sunday, according to a city police report.

Fort Wayne police spokesman Michael Joyner said Tuesday no charges were filed because Hardy was gone when officers arrived and Hardy's father did not want to press charges.

The police report quoted the elder Hardy as saying his son has a lot of anger toward him because he was in prison when his son was young.

Neither Hardy nor his agent, Eugene Parker, immediately responded to phone messages seeking comment.

The 6-foot-6 receiver left Indiana a year early to enter the NFL draft and was picked by the Bills in the second round last month.

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Woman told police Bills WR beat up father

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) - A woman called police saying Buffalo Bills rookie wide receiver James Hardy was beating up his father and had pulled a gun when she yelled for him to stop.

The witness told officers she called out for Hardy to stop after hearing a loud noise in the back yard about 1:30 p.m. Sunday, according to a city police report.

Fort Wayne police spokesman Michael Joyner said Tuesday no charges were filed because Hardy was gone when officers arrived and Hardy's father did not want to press charges.

The police report quoted the elder Hardy as saying his son has a lot of anger toward him because he was in prison when his son was young.

Neither Hardy nor his agent, Eugene Parker, immediately responded to phone messages seeking comment.

The 6-foot-6 receiver left Indiana a year early to enter the NFL draft and was picked by the Bills in the second round last month.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
talk about character issues. if dude will beat down his own pops, there's no telling what he'll get into throughout his career. hello BILLSred flag

Roy Cummings, Tampa Tribune - [Full Article]

Tampa Bay QB Jeff Garcia hinted at a possible holdout if he is unable to get a new contract signed before the season begins. Negotiations have been relatively nonexistent and Garcia said he may have to take a stand. "There might come a time when I might have to stand up," said Garcia, who is in the final year of a two-year deal worth $7 million. He is believed to be seeking an extension that will bring his total payout to the league average for starters, which is roughly $7 million. He also may want compensated a 2007 incentive that would have payed him at least 1 million for taking 70 percent of the snaps, but the team rested him in Week 17 after clinching the division.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-176/Report--Tatupu-arrested-for-DUI.html
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-176/Report--Tatupu-arrested-for-DUI.html
Report: Tatupu arrested for DUI http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-176/Report--Tatupu-arrested-for-DUI.html http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-176/Report--Tatupu-arrested-for-DUI.html

May 13, 2008 3:24 PM

nfl_g_tatupu_300.jpg

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Seattle radio station KJR-AM 950 is reporting today that Lofa Tatupu, the Seahawks' perennial Pro Bowl linebacker, has been arrested for drunken driving.

The Seahawks recently signed Tatupu to a long-term extension. Team president Tim Ruskell has taken a hard line against off-field incidents. Tatupu is the defensive leader of the Seahawks. This is the first off-field incident involving Tatupu that I can recall hearing about.

KJR has a copy of the police report showing Tatupu blew .155 percent and .158 percent in his breath tests. The legal limit in Washington state is .08 percent.

Tatupu is known as an unassuming hard worker, a leader who is vocal but not flamboyant. How unflamboyant is Tatupu? The police report says Tatupu, whose new deal is worth more than $40 million, was driving a 2006 Hyundai Accent, worth about $11,000 fully loaded with 30,000 miles, according to Kelley Blue Book.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-176/Report--Tatupu-arrested-for-DUI.htmlSeahawks, Lofa Tatupu, Tim Ruskellhttp://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-176/Report--Tatupu-arrested-for-DUI.html

Ravens' Suggs to be designated as franchise defensive end-linebacker

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Terrell Suggs entered his franchise free agency with a debate over whether he was a linebacker or a defensive end.

Thanks to an agreement by the Ravens, Suggs' agent, the Management Council and the NFL Players Association, Suggs gets the best of both worlds. The settlement, which is being finalized by lawyers for the NFLPA and the Management Council, creates a new position in franchise designations -- a defensive end-linebacker. Once the paperwork is completed later this week, Suggs, designated as a franchise linebacker, will be re-designated as a defensive end-linebacker, and his one-year franchise tender will increase from $8.065 million to around $8.5 million.

Suggs challenged his designation as a franchise linebacker by claiming he had more snaps as a defensive end than he did at linebacker last season. A franchise player is tendered at the average of the top five cap numbers at that position. The difference can be substantial. A franchise linebacker has a $8.065 million tender. A franchise defensive end has an $8.879 million tender.

The differences in negotiations are even more pronounced. The highest paid defensive ends -- Dwight Freeney of the Colts and Jared Allen of the Vikings -- make around $12 million a year. Top linebackers make in the $7.7 million to $7.8 million a year range.

For months, negotiations were stalled because of the debate over the position. Suggs filed a grievance, asking a Special Master to determine his true position. Being a team player, Suggs showed up at the first minicamp under first-year coach John Harbaugh to show him he was on board with his hiring...

Click link for full story (
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3394771)
Titans' White played 2007 with torn meniscus
By Terry McCormick, May 13, 2008 1:40 pm
Updated: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:40 pm

LenDale White says his surgically repaired left knee feels fine as he took part in organized team activities on Tuesday after revealing he played all of 2007 with a torn meniscus.

White, who had arthroscopic surgery in January, had been limited to individual work in last week's open workout.

White suffered the injury in preseason last August.

"This happened last year in preseason. I tore my meniscus," White said. "I played on it all season. Contrary to what people believe, I am a soldier. I played on it all year and I didn't complain, not once. I waited until the season was over to get it fixed and now I'm feeling good."

White played in all 16 games last season and the Titans AFC Divisional playoff loss at San Diego, rushing for 1,110 yards in the regular season. Despite posting a breakthrough season, White said the injury bothered him plenty at times last year.

"It affected me a lot, because it took me a long time to get warmed up. It was catching a lot and it hurt on certain days," White said. "When we played San Diego, it was hurting bad. I came in and tried to put Ben Gay on it and Flexall 454, and I tried to get it warmed up as best I could. But now, I'm back and it's 100 percent and it feels good."
Hit the link for more of the story (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=60177)
[h2][/h2]
[h2]Urlacher Continues To Tell Everyone He's Skipping Minicamphttp://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/14/urlacher-continues-to-tell-everyone-hes-skipping-minicamp/[/h2]
Posted by Josh Alper on May 14, 2008, 11:31 a.m.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/14/urlacher-continues-to-tell-everyone-hes-skipping-minicamp/
Brian Urlacher continued his media tour by chatting with Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune, who didn't credit Michael Silver of Yahoo! with scooping him, about his plans to skip minicamp. $8,000 in fines isn't going to be enough to shake Urlacher into changing his mind.

"Yeah, it would bug me to get fined, but it's my choice," he said. "Unless something happens [with the contract] between now and then, I won't be there."

Urlacher's got every right to ask for more money but it's hard to find much about his complaints to agree with. He signed a nine-year contract and then uses a rise in the salary cap as part of his rationale for wanting a new deal. What did he think would happen over the course of a decade? He either got bad advice or misunderstood the nature of a contract, either way that's his own fault.

His other gripe, the right of a team to cut a player if they don't perform, is a long-standing issue in the CBA between the league and the players. It should be revisited but Urlacher and others need to realize their signing bonuses will have to come down as a result because that's what they get for giving up guaranteed money down the road.

The Bears made a reasonable offer to Urlacher, a $5 million bonus with $1 million per year through reachable playing time incentives and one more year tacked on with $9 million base salary, and he rejected it. My guess is he wants more up front because he's worried about making it through the life of the contract.

Urlacher says he's healthy, "my neck is not an issue, my back is sweet," but those are both injuries that have a nasty habit of coming back. It doesn't make any sense for the Bears to take on that risk by issuing a larger signing bonus, though it would help explain why Urlacher wants all that money right now.

Back
Top Bottom