OFFICIAL NFL OFFSZN THREAD 2023-24: Bill WILDIN

I usually agree with you but you're wrong here. 99% of people in the NFL are great in college but as we know the things that you're good at in college don't always translate to the NFL especially considering defenses are better and faster so you have to process things a lot faster which a lot of guys struggle with. Again The shanny's, Mike & Kyle, tailored the entire offense around his ability to run. It's disingenuous to say they didn't know how to incorporate his running and passing abilities when there literally what they did his rookie year. The problem came the following off season when Robert went public with wanting to be more of a pocket passer, I remember this vividly because the headlines at the time being that there was tension between Robert and Mike and Mike was holding him back. You have to also remember Dan was in love with Robert and Mike was in a lose-lose situation so he eventually caved and decided to go with a more traditional offense similar to what he ran with Elway in Denver but the only problem is that Robert proved to be mediocre at best from the pocket in the NFL. Fast forward a bit and Mike gets fired because Robert was darling at the time and could do no wrong so all the blame went to the coach but the same struggles in the pocket continued with the next regime. Now Gruden himself admitted that he didn't know how to fully utilize RG3 so if you want to accuse a coach of not knowing how to use him then Gruden's the guy but the Shanny's knew how to get the most of his skill set but his arrogance wouldn't allow him to see it. People have a very revisionist history when it comes to Robert and Washington and I hate how Mike is always made to be a scapegoat. Robert was very messy always throwing shots at his coaches in the media and to this day the guy never accepts any responsibility for anything.

I skimmed all that, but we can agree to disagree...it's a combination of things. RGIII was absolutely a good passer. His knack for running then getting lit up did himself no favors.

Screenshot_20240119-105651_Chrome Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20240119-105701_Chrome Beta.jpg

Top 5 in completion % as a damn rookie. Not dink and dunk either. Led the league in yards per attempt. He just so happened to be a great athlete with amazing speed...had he toned back, he definitely could've been successful as a pocket passer...just wasn't his nature to be just one thing. His accuracy was always a strength.

RG3 for damn sure was a good passer, that’s why coaches f’d up

and he had a strong arm to go with the accuracy

running should have been a last option once everything opened wide.. and then you preach getting down anytime anyone gets near him

preaching for him to do it and then him actually doing it are two separatet things. Especially with as stubborn as RG3 was.

I skimmed all that, but we can agree to disagree...it's a combination of things. RGIII was absolutely a good passer. His knack for running then getting lit up did himself no favors.

Screenshot_20240119-105651_Chrome Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20240119-105701_Chrome Beta.jpg

Top 5 in completion % as a damn rookie. Not dink and dunk either. Led the league in yards per attempt. He just so happened to be a great athlete with amazing speed...had he toned back, he definitely could've been successful as a pocket passer...just wasn't his nature to be just one thing. His accuracy was always a strength.
I mean I think everyone is in agreement that he was great his rookie season.

We've seen guys like Stroud, Luck and Cam rewriting the record books for QB's but I'll always stand by rookie RG3 being the best rookie QB I've ever seen.

He was deadass the most exciting/electrifying player in the league from the jump and helped that team overachieve. His rookie year is coming up on still being the only 10 win season they've had as a franchise over the last 20...

I'm sure there's more than enough blame to go both ways about how he was handled but at the end of the day I feel the onus is always on the team to protect players from themselves when it comes to their health regardless of what they player wants.

We were calling out how he was being handled by Gruden at the time and it's been proven that there was indeed a disconnect and bone to pick with him and RG3 that influenced how it all went down.

Obviously the Kirk pick worked out but for all that they gave up to get him, still think they should've continued tailoring the squad to his strengths and building on that long term while not taking any risks with his health.

Nowadays you see it all the time with teams shutting down or holding their QB's back from coming back or playing before they're 100%. Shame that things went down the way they did.

Micah getting scorched by Skip is hilarious.

Micah gotta kill that podcast, he’s awful at it. Too many pods and too many athletes trying.

I'm all for dudes building their brand and making money off the field but Micah acts like a college kid. You can't trash talk a team that beat you 3 straight times. You can't always fight the battle of "clapping back" to haters. When you are a current player your play is the response.

RG3 for damn sure was a good passer, that’s why coaches f’d up

and he had a strong arm to go with the accuracy

running should have been a last option once everything opened wide.. and then you preach getting down anytime anyone gets near him
If he was such a prolific passer then what happened after his rookie year??? Coaching was good enough then to make him OROY. Following season coaches gave him what he demanded in less read option. He got exposed because he couldn’t read the field, then hurt again for never learning to slide.

So which is it: Coaches screwed him up by not making him keep running against his wishes or by treating him like a pocket passer like he wanted but never was? Can’t have it both ways…

How many jobs are left open?

Titans
Panthers
Seahawks
Chargers
Falcons
Washington

I like the Raiders move but he definitely getting a short contract.

I don’t understand why all these coaches get 4-6 years? Rookie coaches or coaches coming off a failure shouldn’t be getting those deals. (Not that I give a **** about an owner losing money)

John Mara was paying three HC at the same time, he was livid. Raiders about to do the same.

I like the Raiders move but he definitely getting a short contract.

I don’t understand why all these coaches get 4-6 years? Rookie coaches or coaches coming off a failure shouldn’t be getting those deals. (Not that I give a **** about an owner losing money)

John Mara was paying three HC at the same time, he was livid. Raiders about to do the same.
If the hiring is on the heels of a full tear down I absolutely think new coaches should get 4-6 years off the bat. I also believe a coach and GM should be hired in tandem.

If the hiring is on the heels of a full tear down I absolutely think new coaches should get 4-6 years off the bat. I also believe a coach and GM should be hired in tandem.

It’s so rare now that coaches stay halfway into their contract. Raiders should have fired their coach last year but were paying him and Gruden so much he wouldn’t fire him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom