Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

tuukka rask - high glove side, you've been exposed
Dude is so young though, he should be in the minors improving his game. Too early.
yeah. i wish we didnt have to force him up. i feel like its split opinion in boston.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Can't wait to see the Devils take on the Caps tonight.
OH! That's gonna be fun to watch.

Not so far
laugh.gif

Don't laugh now, but the Kings came in third for Week #3
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]2009-2010 Power Rankings: Week 3[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]RK (PV)[/td] [td] TEAM[/td] [td]REC.[/td] [td]COMMENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
pit.gif
[/td] [td]1 (2)[/td] [td]Penguins[/td] [td]4-1-0[/td] [td]Despite a soft outing against Phoenix, the Pens rebounded to win a wild one in Philadelphia and then dominated the Leafs in Toronto. Sidney Crosby is rolling early with four goals.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
cgy.gif
[/td] [td]2 (3)[/td] [td]Flames[/td] [td]4-1-0[/td] [td]The Flames' only loss came with backup Curtis McElhinney between the pipes. But Miikka Kiprusoff has been flawless, and the Flames are getting contributions from throughout the lineup, as witnessed by team-leader Rene Bourque, who has seven points.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
los.gif
[/td] [td]3 (15)[/td] [td]Kings[/td] [td]3-1-0[/td] [td]The Kings have won three in a row and have used big offense and tight checking along the way. Netminder Jonathan Quick was especially impressive, stopping 29 of 30 in a 2-1 victory in St. Louis on Saturday. Ryan Smyth already has four goals.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
phi.gif
[/td] [td]4 (5)[/td] [td]Flyers[/td] [td]3-1-1[/td] [td]Big week for the Flyers, as they beat Washington in overtime, lost to the Pens and then blew a late lead against Anaheim before losing in a shootout. Mike Richards leads all NHLers with six goals, and Matt Carle leads all defensemen with eight points.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nyr.gif
[/td] [td]5 (12)[/td] [td]Rangers[/td] [td]4-1-0[/td] [td]Big wins over Washington and Anaheim give the Rangers four straight wins. Nice starts for rookie defensemen Matt Gilroy and Michael Del Zotto. Marian Gaborik's clicking, too, with points in every game. Sean Avery's return is a welcome addition.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
chi.gif
[/td] [td]6 (6)[/td] [td]Blackhawks[/td] [td]2-1-1[/td] [td]It took the Hawks nine shootout rounds to best Colorado in their home opener Saturday after a disappointing loss in Detroit earlier in the week.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
san.gif
[/td] [td]7 (7)[/td] [td]Sharks[/td] [td]3-2-0[/td] [td]The Sharks, as predicted, are lighting it up offensively. Welcome to the Shark Tank, Dany Heatley. He is tied for the league lead with 10 points.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
ott.gif
[/td] [td]8 (21)[/td] [td]Senators[/td] [td]3-1-0[/td] [td]Not much in the way of offense for the Sens thus far, but they haven't needed much with Pascal Leclaire and Brian Elliott combining to give the Northeast Division-leading Senators terrific goaltending.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
cls.gif
[/td] [td]9 (22)[/td] [td]Blue Jackets[/td] [td]3-1-0[/td] [td]The Blue Jackets were pummeled by San Jose earlier in the week but bounced back for a strong win in Phoenix on Saturday, led by backup netminder Mathieu Garon.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
det.gif
[/td] [td]10 (
glasses.gif
[/td] [td]Red Wings[/td] [td]2-2-0[/td] [td]The Wings have won two straight since dropping their first two in Stockholm, but the loss of Johan Franzen (out at least four months with a torn left ACL) is a big blow.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
was.gif
[/td] [td]11 (1)[/td] [td]Capitals[/td] [td]2-2-1[/td] [td]Blew lead against Philadelphia, lost to Rangers and then couldn't keep Detroit in check. All in all, a sobering week for the undisciplined Caps, who are scoring like crazy but giving up way too many.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
ana.gif
[/td] [td]12 (10)[/td] [td]Ducks[/td] [td]2-2-1[/td] [td]Up-and-down road trip closed Sunday with 3-0 loss to New York Rangers but did include last-minute tying goal and shootout victory over Philadelphia. Teemu Selanne looks like the Finnish Flash of old.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
col.gif
[/td] [td]13 (19)[/td] [td]Avalanche[/td] [td]2-1-1[/td] [td]The Avs continue their impressive early-season play. Craig Anderson has delivered stalwart netminding as the Avs have given up just nine goals in four games heading into Monday.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
buf.gif
[/td] [td]14 (14)[/td] [td]Sabres[/td] [td]2-0-1[/td] [td]How wacky is this? The Sabres have scored just four goals so far but given up one fewer. Fire-wagon hockey this isn't. Still, they're undefeated in regulation.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
edm.gif
[/td] [td]15 (24)[/td] [td]Oilers[/td] [td]2-1-1[/td] [td]The Oilers are getting good goaltending from Nikolai Khabibulin and balanced scoring. Missing Sheldon Souray, who's resting with a concussion thanks to a Jarome Iginla hit, will hurt.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
tam.gif
[/td] [td]16 (29)[/td] [td]Lightning[/td] [td]1-1-2[/td] [td]The Lightning showed signs of getting into a groove with a solid win over Carolina. They gave up the tying goal to New Jersey with one second left earlier in the week. Ryan Malone is off to a sizzling start with four goals.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
car.gif
[/td] [td]17 (13)[/td] [td]Hurricanes[/td] [td]2-3-0[/td] [td]The Hurricanes have been up and down to start this season, coming up flat Saturday against Tampa after crushing Florida the night before. Missing Erik Cole doesn't help.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
dal.gif
[/td] [td]18 (25)[/td] [td]Stars[/td] [td]1-0-3[/td] [td]The Stars are undefeated in regulation and beat up on the Flames and backup Curtis McElhinney. Sophomore James Neal is off to a good start with three goals and an assist.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
atl.gif
[/td] [td]19 (20)[/td] [td]Thrashers[/td] [td]2-1-0[/td] [td]The Thrashers hit a bump against Ottawa on Saturday, but defense and goaltending have been impressive to date. Ilya Kovalchuk is off to a nice start with five goals.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nsh.gif
[/td] [td]20 (23)[/td] [td]Predators[/td] [td]2-1-0[/td] [td]The Preds have taken a page from the Sabres' handbook, scoring just six times while giving up one fewer. Netminders Dan Ellis and Pekka Rinne are holding things together for the offensively challenged Preds.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
bos.gif
[/td] [td]21 (9)[/td] [td]Bruins[/td] [td]2-2-0[/td] [td]The Bruins were oh-so-close to a 1-3-0 record, as they fell behind 3-0 to the Islanders on Saturday before coming back to win in a shootout. Tuukka Rask earned his first victory of the season.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
njd.gif
[/td] [td]22 (18)[/td] [td]Devils[/td] [td]2-2-0[/td] [td]They scored with one second left against Tampa to force overtime (they won in a shootout), then squeaked out victory in Florida on Saturday.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
stl.gif
[/td] [td]23 (4)[/td] [td]Blues[/td] [td]2-2-0[/td] [td]Disappointing North American start for the Blues, as they dropped two home dates to Atlanta and Los Angeles after beating Detroit twice in Stockholm. Offense combined for three goals in those losses.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
pho.gif
[/td] [td]24 (27)[/td] [td]Coyotes[/td] [td]2-2-0[/td] [td]The Coyotes have lost two in a row, and although their defense and goaltending remain solid (seven goals against), their offense is AWOL.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nyi.gif
[/td] [td]25 (30)[/td] [td]Islanders[/td] [td]0-0-3[/td] [td]The good news for Isles fans is the team is undefeated in regulation. The bad news? The Isles have lost three straight after regulation. John Tavares is the real deal, by the way, with five points.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
van.gif
[/td] [td]26 (17)[/td] [td]Canucks[/td] [td]2-3-0[/td] [td]Yes, they pounded Montreal to stop a three-game slide to open the season, but then blew a late lead against Dallas on Sunday, forcing them into a shootout. True, they got the two points, but there's still not a lot of confidence in Canucktown.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mon.gif
[/td] [td]27 (11)[/td] [td]Canadiens[/td] [td]2-3-0[/td] [td]After opening the season with two straight wins, the Habs lost Andrei Markov and have dropped three straight. Reports of a return to prominence for Carey Price may have been premature, which spells trouble for Les Habs.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
min.gif
[/td] [td]28 (26)[/td] [td]Wild[/td] [td]1-3-0[/td] [td]News bulletin! The Wild can't score. Still. But you could see that one coming a mile away, no?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
fla.gif
[/td] [td]29 (16)[/td] [td]Panthers[/td] [td]1-3-0[/td] [td]The Panthers have lost three in a row, including an embarrassing shellacking at the hands of Carolina and a disappointing 3-2 effort in their home opener Saturday. They've scored just eight times in four games, and that's not going to get it done.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
tor.gif
[/td] [td]30 (28)[/td] [td]Maple Leafs[/td] [td]0-3-1[/td] [td]Easily the worst team in the NHL right now. No goaltending. Can't kill penalties. Aren't even that tough. Ouch.[/td] [/tr][/table]

Jon Quick has been lights out in goal, and the line of Kopitar, Williams, and Smyth, has been getting it done.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

9 to 21? seriously? i guess it is a "what have you done for me lately" so yeah, makes sense

Originally Posted by bobby1109

Can't wait to see the Devils take on the Caps tonight.
OH! That's gonna be fun to watch.

Not so far
laugh.gif
Depends who you are talking to.
laugh.gif

Caps came out.

The Washington teams have to win sometimes right?

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Spoiler [+]
laugh.gif

*the hell is going on in Chicago????? 5-0 w. 5 minutes left in the FIRST PERIOD???? Hawks need a fight or something to get things going....

Damn the Caps could not get it out of their zone to save their life and the Devils tied it up.

WOW...I had NO idea the Leafs were playing tonight.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ this #%$@#$ bum $+@ team.

I've lived in Toronto 90% of my life and words can not describe how much I hate the Leafs. I gave up on these bums around 2002 when they lost to Carolinain the ECF
indifferent.gif

I honestly expected the Leafs to compete for a playoff spot this season but finish around 9th or 10th. Their defense looked respectable on paper but theirforwards suck a.ss

How the heck does a team give up 5, 6, 7 goals a night?

And to make matters worse, the Bruins have the Leafs 2010 1st rounder. Burke you genius...Mr. "I brought the Stanley Cup to Anaheim" even though hepretty much inherited that team and had the pieces in place to make a trade for Chris Pronger.

^ I pretty much liked all the moves Burke made except for the Kessel trade... They might have a chance to draft Taylor Hall but they traded that pick away to adivisional rival. If I was a Leafs fan, I would be absolutely livid. You don't give up two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder for freakin Phil Kessel. Lasttime I checked, he's not Wayne Gretzky.

how good is taylor hall? better than Tavares? i really have no clue about this up coming draft prospects

Wow, Calgary had a 5-0 lead in the 1st period but Chicago came back and won the game 6-5! I didnt watch it but its probably an early candidate for game of theyear.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Wow, Calgary had a 5-0 lead in the 1st period but Chicago came back and won the game 6-5! I didnt watch it but its probably an early candidate for game of the year.

I watched from the 2nd period to the end. it was
pimp.gif
x1000. Seabrook withthe winning goal in OT.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

^ I pretty much liked all the moves Burke made except for the Kessel trade... They might have a chance to draft Taylor Hall but they traded that pick away to a divisional rival. If I was a Leafs fan, I would be absolutely livid. You don't give up two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder for freakin Phil Kessel. Last time I checked, he's not Wayne Gretzky.
Exactly what I was saying.

I mean, I understand trading draft picks if your a cup contender and you feel you are 1-2 pieces away from making a deep playoff run. However, you do not tradeaway draft picks when you are really early on in the rebuilding process and you need all the help that you can get. Leafs fans think that the rebuildingprocess is almost over and they're a few players away from making the playoffs. The fact is, this team was actually trying to make the playoffs the first 3seasons after the lockout but failed. The rebuilding process started in February 2008 when JFJ was fired and Cliff Fletcher was brought in as the temporary GM.You dont trade top draft picks 20-months into a rebuilding process
smh.gif

The Devils have been showing a lot of heart on this road trip. Granted they played Tampa, Fla, and the Caps (them being the only one I'd say is a powerteam in the East) and came out 3-0. I strongly believe Parise is the best shootout scorer inthe league. Brodeur stopping Ovie to win the game was a fantasticsave, Theordore played great too.

Back
Top Bottom