Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

crappy loss to MTL last night. tuukka with the boneheaded play
smh.gif

TERRIBLE call by the refs on Ovechkin....just like they were saying on NBC, there is no way that should have been a game misconduct. A penalty (or even a double-minor), sure....but that hit was from the side and Campbell fell awkwardly into the boards
smh.gif

Hard to fault the refs though with the league unable to decide what is cool and not, and then all the scrutiny that has come with it. Get it together NHL!

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

good win yesterday
pimp.gif

PHILADELPHIA – There’s been a lot of speculation about the Flyers’ future in goal beyond this season. An answer may be forthcoming sooner rather than later.

Michael Leighton’s agent, Mike Liut, has been in the Philadelphia area for several days and likely will talk to general manager Paul Holmgren about a contract extension for his client this week, a Flyers source confirmed to the Daily Times.

While there is no guarantee that anything will be signed this week, it’s a good bet ideas will be exchanged.

According to the source, the Flyers would like to have Leighton back – possibly on a two-year deal – if the salary figure is reasonable.

Leighton makes $600,000 this season, but the Flyers are only on the hook for $300,000 after claiming him off of re-entry waivers from the Carolina Hurricanes. Carolina is paying him the other half of his salary.

Leighton, 28, has been tremendous for the Flyers this season, and entered play Thursday with a record of 17-5-2 with a 2.46 GAA.

indifferent.gif
is prolly gonna be our starting goalie next year

2dlohn8.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 @ that .gif

[h3]Ovi shouldn't be suspended for latest hit[/h3]
March, 14, 2010
Mar 14

2:45

PM ET

Comment Print http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/nhl/id/4994689/ovi-suspended-latest-hit#/sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/nhl/id/4994689/ovi-suspended-latest-hit&title=Ovi shouldn">http://sendtofriend.espn....&title=...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" class="email">Email Share

By Scott Burnside

Another day, another challenge for the NHL's head disciplinarian Colin Campbell.
Fresh from his perplexing decision not to suspend Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke for the forward's potentially season-ending hit on Boston's Marc Savard, Campbell will now have to deal with another controversial hit by Washington captain -- and superstar -- Alex Ovechkin.

Here's a suggestion (and we know how much Campbell enjoys suggestions from the peanut gallery): do nothing, again.

Only this time, Campbell will completely get it right if he simply lets Sunday's call stand -- Ovechkin was ejected in the first period of a key game against Chicago after pushing Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell into the boards behind the Chicago net.

Campbell was stunned and did not return to action, while Ovechkin was tossed for the third time this season, assessed a five-minute major for boarding and a 10-minute misconduct and game misconduct.

We understand the call (we could have lived with a double-minor), but as for requiring further action, we don't think so.

Rest of Article

This article by Burnside is 100% spot on.....

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

I am beyond livid. We aren't going anywhere this year 
mad.gif
blame it on management for screwing up those contracts in the summer

and signing Huet and Campbell at those numbers and term
laugh.gif

Huet is terrible but they are still 3rd in the NHL and 6-3-1 in our last 10 so throw a new goaltender in there and who knows what would happen. but it won't happen.

Did you guys see Downie take down Crosby yesterday
eek.gif
smh.gif

As a Caps fan, I can't stand Crosby but I don't want to see the guy get injured on a dirty %!# play.....

Crosby is lucky that his ankle/knee wasn't as bad as how the vid looked.

Thomas in net against NJ. Either very good, or very bad.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

We'll see. Huge game, Rangers with two in a row cut the 8 place gap to 1.

yeah dude...almost every game from here on out is going to be a must win.

huge and tough game tonight

[table][tr][td]2009-2010 Power Rankings: Week 25[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]RK (LW)[/td][td]TEAM[/td][td]REC[/td][td]COMMENT[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]1 (1)[/td][td]Capitals[/td][td]46-14-9[/td][td]Walk into Chicago in a battle of Cup contenders and erase a three-goal deficit with Hart Trophy candidate Alex Ovechkin in street clothes for two-plus periods? Yes, folks -- mighty, mighty impressive. [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]2 (3)[/td][td]Blackhawks[/td][td]44-18-6[/td][td]A weekend to forget with two blown leads and now top-four blueliner Brian Campbell injured. Again, goaltending questions continue to pester this club.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]3 (6)[/td][td]Canucks[/td][td]43-23-3[/td][td]Road weary? Hardly. Try 6-1-1 since the Olympic break and no letdown at home after weekend sweep over Ottawa and Calgary.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]4 (2)[/td][td]Sharks[/td][td]43-15-10[/td][td]Posted losses to non-playoff teams this weekend. The Sharks need to fine tune their game before the playoffs.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]5 (5)[/td][td]Coyotes[/td][td]42-22-5[/td][td]NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly in Phoenix on Tuesday to try and salvage the Ice Edge ownership bid, but nothing seems able to derail these desert dogs on the ice.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]6 (4)[/td][td]Penguins[/td][td]41-23-5[/td][td]Quite the scary night Sunday in Tampa with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin both shaken up. Crosby is OK; all eyes are on Malkin.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]7 (
glasses.gif
[/td][td]Kings[/td][td]40-23-5[/td][td]Jonathan Bernier? Jonathan Quick? Have the Kings ever been this deep in goal in their history?[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]8 (7)[/td][td]Avalanche[/td][td]39-23-6[/td][td]Two solid victories following the meltdown against Vancouver. Good reaction from a young team.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]9 (10)[/td][td]Devils[/td][td]40-24-3[/td][td]Their mastery over the Penguins continues, but a loss to the Islanders underlines the second-half frustrations for the Devils.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]10 (13)[/td][td]Predators[/td][td]38-26-5[/td][td]Followed up the meltdown in San Jose with impressive wins in Anaheim and Los Angeles.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]11 (9)[/td][td]Sabres[/td][td]36-21-10[/td][td]Luckily for Buffalo, the Senators have imploded out of the Olympic break.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]12 (12)[/td][td]Red Wings[/td][td]33-23-12[/td][td]The veteran Wings are 5-2-0 since the break and hoping to make a run now.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]13 (15)[/td][td]Flames[/td][td]34-25-9[/td][td]The Flames' four-game winning streak was snapped by red-hot Vancouver on Sunday night. [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]14 (14)[/td][td]Flyers[/td][td]36-28-4[/td][td]Their huge, emotional win Saturday against the Blackhawks was followed up by a stinker at MSG on Sunday.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]15 (16)[/td][td]Canadiens[/td][td]35-29-6[/td][td]The Habs have won six of seven since the break and face another biggie Tuesday night against the Rangers in New York.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]16 (11)[/td][td]Senators[/td][td]37-27-5[/td][td]Someone tell Ottawa the Olympic break is over: one win in six games.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]17 (24)[/td][td]Rangers[/td][td]32-29-9[/td][td]Clutch weekend for the Blueshirts after many people had counted them out ... but they can't rest now.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]18 (17)[/td][td]Bruins[/td][td]30-25-12[/td][td]All eyes on Thursday's rematch with the Penguins, their first matchup since Matt Cooke's hit on Marc Savard.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]19 (18)[/td][td]Blues[/td][td]32-27-9[/td][td]There won't be a stretch-run miracle this season.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]20 (22)[/td][td]Wild[/td][td]33-29-6[/td][td]Josh Harding's play in goal is giving the Wild some options for next season.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]21 (21)[/td][td]Stars[/td][td]29-26-13[/td][td]Improving the blue line a major priority in the offseason.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]22 (20)[/td][td]Ducks[/td][td]31-29-8[/td][td]Is there a tougher team to figure out in the NHL?[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]23 (23)[/td][td]Lightning[/td][td]28-28-12[/td][td]At least there's Steven Stamkos' season to savor.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]24 (19)[/td][td]Hurricanes[/td][td]28-32-8[/td][td]Time to start losing more games and improve that draft lottery.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]25 (25)[/td][td]Thrashers[/td][td]28-29-11[/td][td]After a brief surge following the Ilya Kovalchuk trade, reality is now setting in.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]26 (26)[/td][td]Panthers[/td][td]28-29-10[/td][td]A ninth consecutive season out of the playoffs is on the horizon. [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]27 (28)[/td][td]Islanders[/td][td]28-32-9[/td][td]So what do you do in goal next season?[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]28 (27)[/td][td]Blue Jackets[/td][td]27-31-11[/td][td]A trip to the World Championships in Germany is what Steve Mason needs to regain his confidence.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]29 (29)[/td][td]Maple Leafs[/td][td]23-34-12[/td][td]Nikolai Kulemin has seven points (4-3) in his past five games.[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]30 (30)[/td][td]Oilers[/td][td]21-40-7[/td][td]And with the first overall pick, the Oilers select ...[/td][/tr][/table]

It's still weird seeing Detroit so low in the standings...

And I think Ovie might get a game or two.  Lapierre hit Scott Nichol last week almost the same kinda play and got 4 games.

Interesting tidbit, E.J. Hradek's top 10 centers in the league:

Back on the ice, I enjoyed watching top centers Jonathan Toews and Nicklas Backstrom go head-to-head during the Sunday afternoon tilt in Chicago. Toews scored a pair of first-period goals, but Backstrom had the last laugh, tallying his second goal of the game in OT to win it.

Those two stud pivots got me thinking about the best centers in the game. For my Monday 10, here's my list of the game's top 10 centers with a short comment.

1. Sidney Crosby: Who did you think would be No. 1?
2. Jonathan Toews: This great young talent/leader showed his stuff in Vancouver.
3. Nicklas Backstrom: The Swedish star gets overlooked because he plays with Ovi.
4. Evgeni Malkin: By his standards, this has been a very average season.
5. Ryan Getzlaf: With size, skill and attitude, he's a dynamic force in the middle.
6. Henrik Sedin: He didn't miss a beat when brother Daniel was out for six weeks.
7. Pavel Datsyuk: The Russian-born pivot has the quickest stick in the game.
8. Henrik Zetterberg: In big games, I still trust this guy in the important moments.
9. Joe Thornton: The big play-making center turns grinders into scorers.
10. Eric Staal: Healthy again, the elder Staal can dominate with his speed.

I do have a few honorable mentions. These guys could easily jump onto my list: Steven Stamkos, Mikko Koivu, Anze Kopitar, Vincent Lecavalier.

I'd order it differently.

I am not overly surprised about AO, but not sure if it was deserved. NHL will figure it out at some point. AO can just use the days for some rest

No broken bones in Malkin's foot, which is good

Originally Posted by dmxfury

I am not overly surprised about AO, but not sure if it was deserved. NHL will figure it out at some point. AO can just use the days for some rest

No broken bones in Malkin's foot, which is good

Agreed....

and Nick Backstrom is the 2nd best center in the NHL.  Should be up for the Selke also

Campbell just needs to be consistent. Can't suspend Lapierre, not suspend Cooke and then suspend Ovie IMO.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Campbell just needs to be consistent. Can't suspend Lapierre, not suspend Cooke and then suspend Ovie IMO.
Exactly.

I hate to agree with Don Cherry, but should the rise in recklessness in the NHL result in an injury to one of the League's stars (i.e. Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane) Campbell has no one to blame but himself.

Aside: The Devils are up 3 on the Bruins... after 1 period.
tired.gif

got these in last week.
2rraomh.jpg

btw anyone still looking for a navy USA jersey try the nike store in minnesota. i dont know what sizes they have left but they were $89 after tax and shipping. heres their number (952)854-5042.

Back
Top Bottom