OFFICIAL: NIKE ZOOM KD V THREAD: ELITE

Someone really doesn't like them. I understand if they're not for you but exaggerate much...?

Nah brother, I worked retail for almost a decade. Saw the 'retro' craze from its infancy to its present over-saturation. I've seen Nike/JB product go from good to bad - and believe me man, it hasn't been the same since Parker took over the reigns.

KD originally had good intentions when he wanted affordable shoes, so his line up as always been very 'average' at best. I haven't owned any of his sigs but they would be comparable to Nike's entry and mid-level offerings but with 'KD' branding. The problem now is that they are moving an entry to mid-level product to 'premium' but only via pricing - absolutely nothing is being done with the aesthetics or overall engineering.

Look at that KD V Elite, take away the Swoosh and KD logos and it looks like your run of the mill Nike/Adidas/Reebok plastic shoe. Hell, you take away the KD logo and you guys would let them turn 'yellow' at your local Nike factory outlets. Without the KD logos, it looks like a mid-2000 Serena Williams tennis shoe and those have always sold, very poorly.

Yeah I agree that the kd line lately lacks originality especially comparing them against the other sigs. Kd vs to me would still sell w/o kd branding but the elites no way which is why I'm waiting for half off at outlets and not wasting my rewards either.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. I love the look of the Superhero Elites... So call me a sucker. I have a pair... And thinking about doubling up. But not for retail

Love my bhm and aunt pearl, the new elite are
sick.gif
to me

Not gonna lie. I love the look of the Superhero Elites... So call me a sucker. I have a pair... And thinking about doubling up. But not for retail
I'm with you. I went into buy Grape 5's and passed on them once I saw the elites in person. Played 2 games in them and I love them. If these sit and go on sale, I will definitely double up.

Nah brother, I worked retail for almost a decade. Saw the 'retro' craze from its infancy to its present over-saturation. I've seen Nike/JB product go from good to bad - and believe me man, it hasn't been the same since Parker took over the reigns.

KD originally had good intentions when he wanted affordable shoes, so his line up as always been very 'average' at best. I haven't owned any of his sigs but they would be comparable to Nike's entry and mid-level offerings but with 'KD' branding. The problem now is that they are moving an entry to mid-level product to 'premium' but only via pricing - absolutely nothing is being done with the aesthetics or overall engineering.

Look at that KD V Elite, take away the Swoosh and KD logos and it looks like your run of the mill Nike/Adidas/Reebok plastic shoe. Hell, you take away the KD logo and you guys would let them turn 'yellow' at your local Nike factory outlets. Without the KD logos, it looks like a mid-2000 Serena Williams tennis shoe and those have always sold, very poorly.

I hear you fam, but honestly, what signature shoe does look appealing if all the signature branding is gone? I do understand the part about the steady rise in price and the fact that not much has been done to improve engineering. But the actual elite shoe, if stripped of details that you mention, is not appealing, just as the signature shoes for lebron and kobe would not be so attractive to consumers if they were not their shoes. I actually thought they looked like a nicer version of the kobe VII elites which I never bought due to the overall dissatisfaction with the VII.

I guess it's different for each person, I hope you realize I wasn't trying to call you out, I just don't understand why some people (not saying you) can't let others buy shoes they like, regardless of whether or not they were under retail or on the first day or not.

I've always said when I had the money, I would cop shoes, even if at retail, because I've tried getting them for cheap later and the amount of time, resources, and money spent just to go spend on cheaper shoes has been an issue for me. I would rather buy easily and pay the retail price now then have to hunt down and drive (because literally no good releases are within an hour of where I live) to find them, and that's if I do find a 12.5/12.

Sorry for the long post, but that is what a forum is for right? Lol. I guess you could say that I thought there might be a chance people would go after KDs first elite shoes so I played it safe rather than spending time later for a chance to cop.

^^^

My man, thanks for the well thought out response. Likewise I wasn't directing my note to you but trying to get these cats to see that these 'Elites' have a poor design, terrible value and are at the extreme end of Nike 'marketing' and 'gimmickery'.

Regarding your first question about signature shoes looking appealing minus the branding - you only need to look to the late 80s, 90s and early 00s when design and engingeering shared a 50/50 split with marketing. Now it seems like a 10/90 split between the former and latter.

Furthermore, what is the rationale between moving from a high to a low? Almost seems like it might've been a move to keep material costs down (less materials for the low) due to the tacking on of carbon fibre.

Furthermore, what is the rationale between moving from a high to a low? Almost seems like it might've been a move to keep material costs down (less materials for the low) due to the tacking on of carbon fibre.
While I obviously don't have firsthand information nor the "whole story", but in interviews with Leo Chang, he's said that KD asked for a low top for the VI (and VII if memory serves me correctly) so it sounds like it's KD's choice first and foremost.  But like I said, I'm not involved so I'm just going by what they say in interviews and taking their word for it.

^^^limit to 350 pairs  
roll.gif
, i honestly liked  mache's custom "what the KD V"  better. looks like nike  blended the gamma rays with the xmas design and kept blending the other designs in   ..do i even want to now the price on them ..  

Does anybody on this thread know where I can get a pair of laces for the splatters, messed mine up trying to clean em

^^^limit to 350 pairs  :rofl: , i honestly liked  mache's custom "what the KD V"  better. looks like nike  blended the gamma rays with the xmas design and kept blending the other designs in   ..do i even want to now the price on them ..  

350 pair release is going to automatically make these "must haves"

Thank the man above for only 350 pairs. Makes it so I'd probably never have to see em in person.

I personally think the "What The" theme is solid for every year because the colorways they draw from are all different.

South beach, galaxy and yeezy themes on the other hand should stay in the past.

I do kind of miss the days when color combinations and subtle details brought life to kicks but times have changed.

if they are making them ridiculously limited... who cares... chances ull see in person is not likely anyways

Another dumb, limited shoe by Nike. Instead of coming out with another solid colorway for this shoe they just want to drive up hype. :smh:
Aunt Pearls are one of my favorite shoes of this year. Always get compliments when I wear them as well.

Another dumb, limited shoe by Nike. Instead of coming out with another solid colorway for this shoe they just want to drive up hype. :smh:
Aunt Pearls are one of my favorite shoes of this year. Always get compliments when I wear them as well.

You can make a solid cw on ID. Reason why they are making some of these crazy cw's. Honestly, I'm ready for the KDVI's now. :nerd:
'

^^ sometimes crazy isn't always a good look lol. Nike id has a couple of color selections but there are many colors that can make this shoe pop that they don't have on Nike I.d. . I was hopin to see the pe kicks Durant wore in regular season . But I second your last sentence . I'm ready for the kd vi.

Last edited:
What the is exactly right for the what the kd v. I'm not even gonna waste my hate on that shoe. On to the kd vi. I've been bashing the kd vi but imma stop badhing til I actually try on a pair with a decent cw before I make another hating comment on them .

Back
Top Bottom