Official NLCS San Francisco Giants vs. Philadelphia Phillies Thread (4-2) Giants Win NL Pennant

The Glee thing is a joke right?

If it isn't...i better see a Buster Posey-themed Glee episode....

however, i get to see the game because i usually have class at night

The Glee thing is a joke right?

If it isn't...i better see a Buster Posey-themed Glee episode....

however, i get to see the game because i usually have class at night

Is Pat Burrell wearing sandals with jeans?
laugh.gif

roll.gif
@ ESPN asking the "experts" on whose advancing in the NLCS and it's John Kruk and Curt Schilling.

roll.gif
@ ESPN asking the "experts" on whose advancing in the NLCS and it's John Kruk and Curt Schilling.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Proshares

I definitely would.  RCF is extremely difficult to hit out out, and the RF fence is super high.  Doesnt matter if it is short down the RF line.  You have NO IDEA how many lasers Bonds hit off of the fence that would have gone at least another 50-75 in the air.  Ask Aubrey Huff about his first season here.  Ask him how many additional HRs he would have if he played somewhere else.  
There is no doubt in my mind that At&t Park's dimensions keep more balls in that should be out than go out that normally would stay in.
While hitting the 421 ft. mark in RCF is difficult, I wouldn't say it neutralizes lefty power.  That RCF gap is a power alley, not in the forms of HR's, but in the form of extra base hits.  Plus it's only 309 ft. down the RF line, which is perfect for a LH pull hitter.

I disagree with the notion that AT&T Park neutralizes left handed power bats.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Proshares

I definitely would.  RCF is extremely difficult to hit out out, and the RF fence is super high.  Doesnt matter if it is short down the RF line.  You have NO IDEA how many lasers Bonds hit off of the fence that would have gone at least another 50-75 in the air.  Ask Aubrey Huff about his first season here.  Ask him how many additional HRs he would have if he played somewhere else.  
There is no doubt in my mind that At&t Park's dimensions keep more balls in that should be out than go out that normally would stay in.
While hitting the 421 ft. mark in RCF is difficult, I wouldn't say it neutralizes lefty power.  That RCF gap is a power alley, not in the forms of HR's, but in the form of extra base hits.  Plus it's only 309 ft. down the RF line, which is perfect for a LH pull hitter.

I disagree with the notion that AT&T Park neutralizes left handed power bats.

AT&T park's park factor for Home Runs to left handed hitters is .84, but tripples are like 1.16, with 1.00 being league average. This was calculated over like the last 7 years or so, so it definitely takes away a bunch of homers, but gives back a few tripples. Here's the blog post with the more in-depth research.  

Color me biased, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that AT&T Park is one of the most beautiful stadiums in the game today.  Its location and dimensions are practically perfect in my mind, and I honestly can’t think of a ballpark I’d rather sit in to watch a game (aside from, perhaps, Seattle’s SafeCo Field).  Naturally, the park holds a very special place in my heart- it is, after all, the home stadium of my favorite Major League team.  Within the decade of its existence, it has already seen some historical events: most notably, Barry Bonds’ home run marks and Jonathan Sanchez’s No-Hitter.  There are others, of course, but those are the memories that come to mind the quickest for me.  I was there for Bonds’ 661st home run; my Father at 756.  I was there for the debuts of both Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum.  I guess you could say that I have something of an attachment to the park.  I have a lot of wonderful memories there, and every time I go to a game my excitement matches that of a child in Disneyland.

This is why I always take offense to the free agents that spurn the Giants’ offers to play for them.  Over the past couple of years, multiple high end free agent hitters- the ones that come to mind are Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee and Matt Holliday (I’m not sure about Jason Bay or Mark Teixeira)- have made it clear that they had no desire to play in San Francisco.  The free agent perhaps most open about his distaste for the park was Adam LaRoche, who declined a rather lucrative two-year deal and wound up signing a smaller one-year deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks.  Conversely, pitchers love to pitch at AT&T because of its expansive outfield.  This would be great if the Giants weren’t particularly good at developing pitchers- the problem is, they’re quite adept at developing pitchers and the exact opposite when it comes to hitters.  AT&T has garnered a reputation as being a severe pitchers’ park; a real death trap for hitters- especially for lefties not named Barry Bonds.  But is this true?

One of the beautiful things about sabermetrics is that it gives us tools with which we can begin to test these allegations.  In the case of park effects on hitters (or pitchers), we can look at park factors.  The concept of a park factor is rather simple: it is often nothing more than the ratio of runs scored at the park in question compared to all other parks in the league, in an attempt to give us a relatively accurate idea as to which parks have higher (or lower) run-scoring environments than others.  I’d like to expand on this notion, however, and look not just at the overall park factor- but how the park affects a player’s component batting rates, i.e. how much the park increases or decreases different hit types in addition to non-intentional walks and strikeouts.  By doing this, we can look at the way in which AT&T affects right-handed and left-handed hitters differently.

For this little “study,

AT&T park's park factor for Home Runs to left handed hitters is .84, but tripples are like 1.16, with 1.00 being league average. This was calculated over like the last 7 years or so, so it definitely takes away a bunch of homers, but gives back a few tripples. Here's the blog post with the more in-depth research.  

Color me biased, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that AT&T Park is one of the most beautiful stadiums in the game today.  Its location and dimensions are practically perfect in my mind, and I honestly can’t think of a ballpark I’d rather sit in to watch a game (aside from, perhaps, Seattle’s SafeCo Field).  Naturally, the park holds a very special place in my heart- it is, after all, the home stadium of my favorite Major League team.  Within the decade of its existence, it has already seen some historical events: most notably, Barry Bonds’ home run marks and Jonathan Sanchez’s No-Hitter.  There are others, of course, but those are the memories that come to mind the quickest for me.  I was there for Bonds’ 661st home run; my Father at 756.  I was there for the debuts of both Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum.  I guess you could say that I have something of an attachment to the park.  I have a lot of wonderful memories there, and every time I go to a game my excitement matches that of a child in Disneyland.

This is why I always take offense to the free agents that spurn the Giants’ offers to play for them.  Over the past couple of years, multiple high end free agent hitters- the ones that come to mind are Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee and Matt Holliday (I’m not sure about Jason Bay or Mark Teixeira)- have made it clear that they had no desire to play in San Francisco.  The free agent perhaps most open about his distaste for the park was Adam LaRoche, who declined a rather lucrative two-year deal and wound up signing a smaller one-year deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks.  Conversely, pitchers love to pitch at AT&T because of its expansive outfield.  This would be great if the Giants weren’t particularly good at developing pitchers- the problem is, they’re quite adept at developing pitchers and the exact opposite when it comes to hitters.  AT&T has garnered a reputation as being a severe pitchers’ park; a real death trap for hitters- especially for lefties not named Barry Bonds.  But is this true?

One of the beautiful things about sabermetrics is that it gives us tools with which we can begin to test these allegations.  In the case of park effects on hitters (or pitchers), we can look at park factors.  The concept of a park factor is rather simple: it is often nothing more than the ratio of runs scored at the park in question compared to all other parks in the league, in an attempt to give us a relatively accurate idea as to which parks have higher (or lower) run-scoring environments than others.  I’d like to expand on this notion, however, and look not just at the overall park factor- but how the park affects a player’s component batting rates, i.e. how much the park increases or decreases different hit types in addition to non-intentional walks and strikeouts.  By doing this, we can look at the way in which AT&T affects right-handed and left-handed hitters differently.

For this little “study,

Yea and the Phillies left handed hitters aren't necessarily gap to gap hitters for XBH's. They'll have a tough time scoring runs in SF.

Yea and the Phillies left handed hitters aren't necessarily gap to gap hitters for XBH's. They'll have a tough time scoring runs in SF.

F Curt Schilling. Pompous $@+@%%%. Cant stand him.

Well, he picked Braves in 3, so I'll take his predictions. Hate him too.

Back
Top Bottom