Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

For the first time we’ve made it within one week of due date

My wife has been done for weeks at this point

First one was over three weeks early

Second was either one or two, they kept changing the due date back and forth

We’re 5 days away from due date

2/1/18...10:01 p.m. we welcomed our second...
she came out face up..they had to use forceps to pull her out...she had a decent size bruise on her cheek from the tools...as soon as he asked for the forceps i got super nervous but the dr. and nurses did a really good job...happy healthy baby girl...my son has already stepped up in the big brother role helping us grab diapers and bottles...makes me feel like i'm doing something right...

it's my first day back at work and am missing the **** out of everybody...

Little Noah is finally here ...

1FC4F0F8-F382-4E2F-BAB2-6E253D2D3BAF.jpeg

8694E59C-5FF1-4636-9468-E1C3C6BA2CFE.jpeg
CE218CF5-3CB0-4C14-85B9-C090FB299DD4.jpeg

Lol be careful what you wish for
no, really

she's 40 months pregnant and losing her mind

our other two were both early and we've never been this far along...the pregnancies have just progressively gotten harder for her

she's tired all the time, has had issues for along time with body image and it's all just wearing her thin

on Sunday she went back to bed for a nap at 10AM, we didn't even get out of the morning and she was ready for a nap already :ohwell:

Congrats fellas, no sleep gang is real.

It’s crazy looking back at pics on my phone. My daughter has grown like crazy in just 20 months. Time really does fly.

Anyone deal with their kid barley eating all day but at bed time being really hungry?

2/1/18...10:01 p.m. we welcomed our second...
she came out face up..they had to use forceps to pull her out...she had a decent size bruise on her cheek from the tools...as soon as he asked for the forceps i got super nervous but the dr. and nurses did a really good job...happy healthy baby girl...my son has already stepped up in the big brother role helping us grab diapers and bottles...makes me feel like i'm doing something right...

it's my first day back at work and am missing the **** out of everybody...
They used the "suction cup" to the top of the head to help my daughter through the canal - I know what you mean when they start doing that stuff, but I just remembered that I literally didn't know anything and trusted their expertise and skill. Like yours everything turned out great. Congrats again!

Gave my parents a Valentine's Day card yesterday to celebrate their 30yr anniversary

Kudos to all the dads here -- grateful to my own for teaching me the important things in life

G/F is 5 months this is both our 1st kid we're very excited..Seen the ultra and heard his/her heartbeat today ,I smiled from ear to ear lol

I've been meaning to bring this up.

I came across this analysis in a book as it relates to parenting and discipline. Please read. I would love to hear other parents views.

Years ago, researchers found that from ages two to ten, children are urged by their parents to change their behavior once every six to nine minutes. As developmental psychologist Martin Hoffman sums it up, this "translates roughly into 50 discipline ecounters a day or over 15,000 a year!"

When the Holocaust rescuers recalled their childhoods, they had received a unique form of discipline from their parents. "Explained is the word most rescuers favored," the Oliners discovered:

"It is in their reliance on reasoning, explanations, suggestions of ways to remedy the harm done, persuasion, and advice that the parents of rescuers differed most...Reasoning communicates a message of respect..It implies that had children but known better or understood more, they would not have acted in an in appropriate way. It is a mark of esteem ofr the listener; an indication of faith in her/his ability to comprehend, develop, and improve."

While reasoning accounted for only 6% of the disciplinary techniques that the bystanders' parents used, it accounted for a full 21% of how the rescuers' parents disciplined their children. One rescuer said her mother "told me when I did something wrong. She never did any punishing or scolding - she tried to make me understand with my mind what I've done wrong."

The rational approach to discipline also characterizes the parents of teenagers who don't engage in criminal deviance and originals who challenge the orthodoxies of their professions. In one study, parents of ordinary children had an average of six rules, like specific schedules for homework and bedtime. Parents of highly creative children had an average of less than one rule and tended to "place emphasis on moral values, rather than on specific rules," psychologist Teresa Amabile reports.

If parents do believe in enforcing a lot of regulations, the way they explain to them matters a great deal. New research shows that teenagers defy rules when they're enforced in a controlling manner, by yelling or threatening punishment. When mothers enforce many rules but offer a clear rationale for why they're important, teenagers are substantially less likely to break them, because they internalize them. In Donald MacKinnon's study comparing America's most creative architects with a group of highly skilled but unoriginal peers, a factor that distinguished the creative group was that their parents exercised discipline with explanations. They outlined their standards of conduct and explained their grounding in a set of principles about right and wrong referencing values like morality, integrity, respect, curiosity, and perseverance. But "emphasis was placed upon the development of one's ethical code," MacKinnon wrote. Above all, the parents who raised highly creative architects granted their children the autonomy to choose their own path.

Reasoning does create a paradox: it leads both to more rule following and more rebelliousness. By explaining moral principles, parents encourage their children to comply voluntarily with rules that align with important values and to question rules that don't. Good explanation enable children to develop a code of ethics that often coincides with societal expectations; when they don't square up, children rely on the inter compass of values rather than the external compass of rules.

I would love to hear other parents views.

I love this approach and try to use this as often as possible when it comes to my daughter.

Back
Top Bottom