Official PC thread.

mean.gif
AMD's timeline is too ****** 
mean.gif
 if they do Vega right I'll be back 
laugh.gif

What's the big difference between AMD and NVIDIA? I know next to nothing about PCs :lol:

What's the big difference between AMD and NVIDIA? I know next to nothing about PCs
laugh.gif
AMD has a big hole in their video card lineup rn (high-end) that they're supposed to be filling this Summer, but we don't know anything about it. NV released their high-end cards last year, so they have a year head start, and they can easily respond to anything AMD puts out more than likely.

AMD usually has better performance per dollar though, and through driver updates over time they perform just as well or better than their NV counterpart.

They also have different sync technologies, which make framerates smoother. NV has G-Sync, which is an extra part that has to go into monitors, usually adding a couple hundred to the price, while AMD has Freesync, which is software based, and doesn't add much to the monitor price. NV cards don't support Freesync, and AMD cards don't support G-Sync, but FS is open source. NV is welcome to adopt FS.

It's really a lot of difference even though they make the same ****. it's worth looking into if you ever leave that PS behind 
laugh.gif

I'll never leave my PS behind but I am looking to get into PC gaming soon :lol:

nVidia deliberately cripples the performance of older gen cards once new gen starts rolling out while AMD cards actually get faster over time.
Just look at the GTX 780, once used to be a high end card now gets smoked by a mid range GTX 960 while the 290X (same gen as 780) can still hold its own.
AMD dominates newer APIs like Direct X 12 and Vulkan
And then theres the Gameworks politics where nvidia allegedly pays off developers to implement nvidia gameworks to cripple AMD performance while only offering slight visual improvements.
The problem with gameworks is that it cripples the performance of both amd and nvidia cards but it hurts AMD more

Got the 1070 installed. Maxed out a couple games in 1080p, and now I'm fiending for 1440 
laugh.gif
 can't wait til we get a 4k/60+ maxed card

^ I constantly scope out the Battlestations sub on Reddit -- some dudes got master tier setups/rooms.

Try posting on Craigslist or HardwareSwap on Reddit
Yea I was thinking hardwareswap. I think it would be a good idea to wait until I make some more upgrades.

I hate how much PCs avalanche. I got the new GPU, now I want a CPU, but that means new motherboard, and I wanna overclock next time I get a MB, so I gotta get coolers. Might as well up the RAM to 16 while I'm at it. Also need to get a 500 Gig SSD so I can stop avoiding this TB HDD and deleting **** off the 250 Gig SSD I already have.

**** stressful. One part has me on the way to a new build 
laugh.gif
 not to mention wanting to up the resolution from 1080p

^ Bruh, I feel you on this.

I'm still running an eCollegePC build from 2011 -- i5-2400 integrated + 8GB RAM + no video card. The only issue I have is 1080p videos lag a bit.

I definitely have the budget to make a $1500 build, but I don't think I really need it because I don't do gaming/heavy graphics work.

Last edited:

Got the 1070 installed. Maxed out a couple games in 1080p, and now I'm fiending for 1440 
laugh.gif
 can't wait til we get a 4k/60+ maxed card
Isn't the 1070 basically for 1440p?

My amd rx 480 can do 1440p at high settings on most titles.

Came up on a Dell T7910 Workstation last year.

6-core Xeon E-2643v3 Processor

32GB DDR4

512gb SSD

5TB data drive

XFX r9-290x 8gb GDDR5

$800

EA was upgrading their whole workstation fleet and I got plugged by one of their techs.

Still has an EA corporate sticker with reference serial number on the inside door..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom