Official PC thread.

Setup finally complete

Clean. What case is that? You got a PC Part Picker page for that?

Quote:
Damn papi that's beautiful. I want the M1 as well, but it's too rich for me. Probably gonna go cheap and get the Thermaltake V1. Bigger than I want but it looks solid for the money.

The Cougar QBX is worth a look.  It's basically a budget version of the M1.  Similar layout, but slightly larger and less versatile.  For only $50 it's hard to beat tho.

How many of y'all still use 7200 rpms for gaming? Thinking I'm just gonna make do with my  1 TB drive I've avoided using til SSD is closer to current HDD pricing

Played Dishonored off of HDD yesterday. The loading times were fine, but the sounds my tower was making :x it was like it was angry at me :lol: def getting another SSD soon

Ryzen looked promising, but I guess it ain't gonna be for me. Looks like there's only 2 models of ITX boards available at launch and they're both Biostar :x

16GB DDR4 RAM and SFX PSU came in over the weekend. Gonna reuse the SSD in my lappy.

Now I just need for the Node 202 case, i5 Kaby Lake, & an ITX board to go on sale.

Ok NT, tax money is on the way and I'm putting together a build. Need some advice since it's been 4 years since I've been in the hardware game. I plan on getting back into PC gaming, but I don't plan on doing any streaming or anything like that. Also gonna use it for some freelance web dev, but I don't particularly need a beast machine for that.....Still want somewhat of a BA rig :evil: . 2K is the max I'll put into just the desktop. Any advice about parts that are overrated, overpriced, not good, and any recommendations would be appreciated. 
Here's what I'm looking at so far.

Case: rosewill nighthawk 117 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 2011-v3

CORSAIR Hydro Series H105 (If liquid cooling isn't worth the money let me know)

GPU:GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X OC EDITION 

Motherboard:??  Not sure which to get. Everyone that I've considered has had terrible reviews :lol:

Memory: Thinking G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

HDD:Samsung 256GB 

Power Supply:Rosewill Photon-850, PHOTON Series 850W Full Modular Power Supply 

Other: Windows 10 

What do you need a 5820k for???
What type of games you gonna play.
What else are you gonna do software wise??
You barely gonna be using those extra 2 cores on the latest games.
Alot of games are still using single threaded based performance.

I have an i5 2500k and a 5820k and I see no difference in performance between the two in the games I play.

GTA V
Assetto Corsa
Skyrim
FO4

Save some money and buy a cheaper i7 as for the 980ti how much are you getting it for?
If your on a budget don't bother looking at the 1080Ti with new release inflated prices

i5-2500k gang :pimp:

I need a better mobo to overclock tho

RYZEN LAUNCH MARCH 2 PREORDERS UP

Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499
Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399
Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, $329

Last edited:
^ I agree. If they are significant, I may sell my i5 and MOBO and convert over to all AMD. Ryzen + my 480 :smokin

Wait for benchmarks

Basically, I'm not a fan boy of either and willing to build both systems. Currently have a 4790k, that Ryzen 1700 is
in direct comp, must wait to see benchmarks for sure. Either way I'm pretty hype about the product hopefully it forces
intel to make some moves.

Basically, I'm not a fan boy of either and willing to build both systems. Currently have a 4790k, that Ryzen 1700 is
in direct comp, must wait to see benchmarks for sure. Either way I'm pretty hype about the product hopefully it forces
intel to make some moves.

Yea if anything, as long as it is a competitor, that is great for the consumer. This lock that intel has had for so long, needs to be broken. Look what T-Mobile did to the cell industry. Now everyone has "unlimited" again :smh:

Competition is always good.

I have been looking to upgrade from my 4460, and unlocked sounds good. Definitely keeping a close eye on it

Looks like the mid and low end Ryzens won't be out for a while.

Don't think I need 8 cores and 16 threads to browse NT.

Hoping for a response from Intel via price drops.

How is streaming on 1440? I want it for gaming, but is there any native video content? Youtube etc? Also how is scaling?

Jewel knows.

:lol: My other worries with AMD getting back into the fold is if they can get into market at a reasonable rate. That was always big with them. I mean look at the GPU's, Nvidia put out the 10XX line, while the 480's were barely in stock at the time

If they can get that consistent, I think we good. Time will tell I guess. I am an AMD fan, but I will go with whatevers best at the time.

Back
Top Bottom