Official PC thread.

Im working on an old laptop, I have some programs to speed it up and make it run like new but... after I booted up it basically froze. The mouse moves around and I can click on certain things but I can't pull up my flash drive or get it to load. Any suggestions?

Basically it's just slow

Originally Posted by Juice man

Im working on an old laptop, I have some programs to speed it up and make it run like new but... after I booted up it basically froze. The mouse moves around and I can click on certain things but I can't pull up my flash drive or get it to load. Any suggestions?

Basically it's just slow

-Run msconfig and stop any programs you dont use from running at start up and uninstall all of your crapware. I don't think those programs that claim to "boost up" your machine's performance actually do anything besides run in the background and end up wasting memory.
-or if running vista or w7, find a copy of windows xp, get all your drivers and just use that as xp uses less resources.
-or find a lightweight linux distro like Xubuntu and use that.
-or save for a new machine.

Originally Posted by Juice man

Basically it's just slow

-Run msconfig and stop any programs you dont use from running at start up and uninstall all of your crapware. I don't think those programs that claim to "boost up" your machine's performance actually do anything besides run in the background and end up wasting memory.
-or if running vista or w7, find a copy of windows xp, get all your drivers and just use that as xp uses less resources.
-or find a lightweight linux distro like Xubuntu and use that.
-or save for a new machine.

Thanks. Its not my computer, I'm helping a friend.
I'll try msconfig. i need to get in and clean it all up for him anyway.

Thanks. Its not my computer, I'm helping a friend.
I'll try msconfig. i need to get in and clean it all up for him anyway.

MINIMUM SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

PC
OS: Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] XP/Windows Vista[emoji]174[/emoji]/Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX[emoji]174[/emoji] 9.0c
Processor: Intel Pentium[emoji]174[/emoji] D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+
Video: NVIDIA[emoji]174[/emoji] GeForce[emoji]174[/emoji] 7800 GT or ATI Radeon[emoji]8482[/emoji] X1950 Pro or better

My Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20 GHZ
GeFore GT 220M

Do i meet the specifications needed?

Also, can anyone recommend a desktop better than the Inspiron 15R whyhellothere posted? Around the same price though?

PC
OS: Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] XP/Windows Vista[emoji]174[/emoji]/Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX[emoji]174[/emoji] 9.0c
Processor: Intel Pentium[emoji]174[/emoji] D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+
Video: NVIDIA[emoji]174[/emoji] GeForce[emoji]174[/emoji] 7800 GT or ATI Radeon[emoji]8482[/emoji] X1950 Pro or better

GeFore GT 220M

Also, can anyone recommend a desktop better than the Inspiron 15R whyhellothere posted? Around the same price though?

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Microsoft releases Mouse without Borders: multiple PC control, one keyboard and mouse[/h1]/www.geek.com/wp-content/themes/geek6/images/redesign/fade-bg.gif"); line-height: 26px; border-radius: 2px 2px 2px 2px;">Sep. 12, 2011 (4:03 am)By:Matthew Humphries

At Google, employees get 20% time where they can work on their own projects every week. AtMicrosoft, it’s called The Garage and consists of an actual physical space for side projects. That space and time given to employees is bearing fruit as a new software release called Mouse without Borders demonstrates.

Truong Do, a Microsoft Dynamics developer in Redmond, got frustrated having to switch between different keyboard and mouse configurations for each PC he had in his office. So as a side project he started developing a way to control them all with a single keyboard and mouse.

That project became Mouse without Borders, and goes well beyond just navigation of multiple PCs. Using the software Truong has developed it’s possible to login and out of multiple Windows PCs with a single keyboard and mouse. You can also seamlessly move between up to four PCs, and best of all, file copying through drag and drop works across those machines too.

It is the equivalent of having a single PC and four screens, only in this case you have multiple machines running those screens. All it requires is that you have a home network setup as that’s the communication method Truong has taken advantage of to get this system working.

Not only has Mouse without Borders made Truong’s desk a lot less cluttered, Microsoft has decided to make the software available to download for free for everyone to use. It’s a 1.1MB file which you can download from theMicrosoft IT website(direct download link).

Check out the video below to hear Truong talk about the software:

Link

gonna give this a try later
pimp.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Microsoft releases Mouse without Borders: multiple PC control, one keyboard and mouse[/h1]/www.geek.com/wp-content/themes/geek6/images/redesign/fade-bg.gif"); line-height: 26px; border-radius: 2px 2px 2px 2px;">Sep. 12, 2011 (4:03 am)By:Matthew Humphries

At Google, employees get 20% time where they can work on their own projects every week. AtMicrosoft, it’s called The Garage and consists of an actual physical space for side projects. That space and time given to employees is bearing fruit as a new software release called Mouse without Borders demonstrates.

Truong Do, a Microsoft Dynamics developer in Redmond, got frustrated having to switch between different keyboard and mouse configurations for each PC he had in his office. So as a side project he started developing a way to control them all with a single keyboard and mouse.

That project became Mouse without Borders, and goes well beyond just navigation of multiple PCs. Using the software Truong has developed it’s possible to login and out of multiple Windows PCs with a single keyboard and mouse. You can also seamlessly move between up to four PCs, and best of all, file copying through drag and drop works across those machines too.

It is the equivalent of having a single PC and four screens, only in this case you have multiple machines running those screens. All it requires is that you have a home network setup as that’s the communication method Truong has taken advantage of to get this system working.

Not only has Mouse without Borders made Truong’s desk a lot less cluttered, Microsoft has decided to make the software available to download for free for everyone to use. It’s a 1.1MB file which you can download from theMicrosoft IT website(direct download link).

Check out the video below to hear Truong talk about the software:

Link

gonna give this a try later
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Lebronics

PC
Video: NVIDIA[emoji]174[/emoji] GeForce[emoji]174[/emoji] 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better

GeFore GT 220M

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]you'd be betterbuilding one but this should be good although its a bit more than thelaptop.[/font][font=Calibri, sans-serif][/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]1.Start here at Dell Home direct store[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]2.Customize as per needs (optional), Click Review & Checkout, Addto cart[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]3.Apply coupon code LM?BF7P$FR9KCK in-cart and proceed to checkout[/font]. ThisStudio XPS 8300 Core i7 "Sandy Bridge" Desktop with 8GBRAM, 2yr Premium warranty, Wireless N PCIe Card for $1,262.99 - $413off - $100 coupon code = $749.99 with FREE shipping.

Link

Ifyou have the extra cash i'd upgrade to the 6770 (+$80) for the graphics cardif you plan to do a lot of gaming. Not really sure how good thedefault Nvidia Geforce GT 530 is.

Originally Posted by Lebronics

PC
Video: NVIDIA[emoji]174[/emoji] GeForce[emoji]174[/emoji] 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better

GeFore GT 220M

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]you'd be betterbuilding one but this should be good although its a bit more than thelaptop.[/font][font=Calibri, sans-serif][/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]1.Start here at Dell Home direct store[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]2.Customize as per needs (optional), Click Review & Checkout, Addto cart[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]3.Apply coupon code LM?BF7P$FR9KCK in-cart and proceed to checkout[/font]. ThisStudio XPS 8300 Core i7 "Sandy Bridge" Desktop with 8GBRAM, 2yr Premium warranty, Wireless N PCIe Card for $1,262.99 - $413off - $100 coupon code = $749.99 with FREE shipping.

Link

Ifyou have the extra cash i'd upgrade to the 6770 (+$80) for the graphics cardif you plan to do a lot of gaming. Not really sure how good thedefault Nvidia Geforce GT 530 is.

Originally Posted by SneakerReaper

That "Mouse Without Borders" can't be better than Synergy.  You can use Synergy across multiple OSs.  

oh wow lol. I thought mouse without borders was like the first to do this.
Gonna give Synergy a try later.

Originally Posted by SneakerReaper

That "Mouse Without Borders" can't be better than Synergy.  You can use Synergy across multiple OSs.  

oh wow lol. I thought mouse without borders was like the first to do this.
Gonna give Synergy a try later.

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Windows 8 developer preview: when and where to download[/h4]
By Darren Murph posted Sep 13th 2011 2:30PM

Breaking News

Got a brain full of Windows 8? Can't stop obsessing about it? Fret not -- as of 8PM PT this evening (just under eight hours from now), you'll be able to download a copy of the Windows Developer Preview to your 32- or 64-bit x86 machine (no activation required) from http://dev.windows.com/dev.windows.com. Sorry, ARM hopefuls! Per usual, we'd recommend doing so on a separate partition (or a spare machine altogether) in order to prevent unforeseen conflicts, and we'd also suggest having a stiff glass of patience waiting nearby. Something tells us Redmond's servers are going to be hammered.

[table][tr][td]
post_label_source.gif
Windows Developers
[/td][/tr][/table]

link

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Windows 8 developer preview: when and where to download[/h4]
By Darren Murph posted Sep 13th 2011 2:30PM

Breaking News

Got a brain full of Windows 8? Can't stop obsessing about it? Fret not -- as of 8PM PT this evening (just under eight hours from now), you'll be able to download a copy of the Windows Developer Preview to your 32- or 64-bit x86 machine (no activation required) from http://dev.windows.com/dev.windows.com. Sorry, ARM hopefuls! Per usual, we'd recommend doing so on a separate partition (or a spare machine altogether) in order to prevent unforeseen conflicts, and we'd also suggest having a stiff glass of patience waiting nearby. Something tells us Redmond's servers are going to be hammered.

[table][tr][td]
post_label_source.gif
Windows Developers
[/td][/tr][/table]

link

Are you going to install that Windows 8? I may check that out.  I'll run it through a VM though.  I have low expectations for Windows 8 though.  I thought it was made for tablets, not desktops.

Are you going to install that Windows 8? I may check that out.  I'll run it through a VM though.  I have low expectations for Windows 8 though.  I thought it was made for tablets, not desktops.

Back
Top Bottom