Official PITTSBURGH STEELERS 2011-2012 SEASON THREAD vol. THE BOUNCE BACK SEASON

Honestly Im not that unhappy with the playcalls, Ben missed at least 2 TDs of throws, which again was strange because ge was on point first half. I think they ran pretty effectively as well which is nice. Need a win in AZ before the middle part of the schedule which is beastly

I'm not happy with the offensive play calling either. I've never been a fan of Areans. I think he's let Ben develope terrible habits & hasn't enforced fundementals & mechanics. Let's see what we can do next week cause dmxfury is right, we got a pretty tough schedule after that to get to our bye. Pats come to play us 10/30, ratbirds come to us 11/6, & then we're at Cincy 11/13 which is playing tough...

Originally Posted by psk2310

I'm not happy with the offensive play calling either. I've never been a fan of Areans. I think he's let Ben develope terrible habits & hasn't enforced fundementals & mechanics. Let's see what we can do next week cause dmxfury is right, we got a pretty tough schedule after that to get to our bye. Pats come to play us 10/30, ratbirds come to us 11/6, & then we're at Cincy 11/13 which is playing tough...
I agree. Ben has developed as a QB, no doubt, but he still posesses some bad traits like holding onto the ball, throwing questionable balls, ect. That play where he missed Brown in the end zone was flat out unexeptable. I believe there was somebody in his face, but still, you gotta make that throw. 

Originally Posted by Uptown Roamer

Originally Posted by psk2310

I agree. Ben has developed as a QB, no doubt, but he still posesses some bad traits like holding onto the ball, throwing questionable balls, ect. That play where he missed Brown in the end zone was flat out unexeptable. I believe there was somebody in his face, but still, you gotta make that throw. 

I know sometimes it's due to his o-line not giving him time, but he throws so many picks because he's throwing off his back foot. As a 2-time SB winning QB, you should know you can't be throwing off your back leg. I put that more on Areans. The player is only as good as the coach. He would be scary if had the fudementals of Rodgers, Brady, & Manning but Areans doesn't seem to understand that...

I'd look at QB coach (Randy someone). I actually think his fundamentals regressed a bit after Ken Anderson retired

I think also, it has to do with Ben. It's clear from his personal history that he likes being a celebrity. I'm not sure he has the same work ethic as someone like the guys mentioned. He doesn't seem to want to work at his craft so he could be great. Tom felt like he needed to tidy up his mechanics this off season so he got in touch with his QB trainer Tom Martinez. The story is here. Look what dividends it's paying this season. A lot of these young atheletes in all the sports don't realize how much hard work it takes to be great. Ben seems like the same QB he's been since he first got to the league, playing on talent alone. You don't see the type of career or skills arc like you see with the other great QBs. Part of it's due to not really havign a good line since he got to the Steelers...

Sad day in Steelers Country. Aaron Smith was put on IR today. Story here. He hasn't played much in the last 3 years. This is one of the most unsung football players in the NFL. More than likely means he'll retire. We'll miss you Aaron...

Awesome win on the road. We're winning games against the teams we're supposed to win against. Our receiving corp looked really nice today. Sitting at 5-2 going into a tough part of our schedule with the Pats at home next week & then the ratbirds at home after that...Gotta win the games at home...

NE going to be tough, but nice to win today. Sad to hear about Smith but not surprising this happened

Although the Pats are playing better defense, I think our O will be able to play well Sunday & beat the Pats. Peter King seems to think so too, "Game of the Week, obviously. Hard to pick against the Patriots, because of their recently resurgent defense (18.7 points per game allowed in the last three), but I do so because of Pittsburgh's deep passing game. Between them, Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown are averaging 17.9 yards per catch. I expect bombs away by Ben Roethlisberger in this one." Link to SI.com story here for rest of this week 8 picks. Looking forward to see what the Steelers can do in the next 3 weeks: Pats at home, ratbirds at home, & at Cincy...I'll be happy if we can get at least 2 of those games...

Nice write up of Mike Wallace in Peter King's weekly Gameplan colum on SI.com. The link to the story is here. I've posted in this thread before stating this but I really like a groups of WRs. If Ben can get the ball offquick & the o-line provides some protection, we could still go far this year.

Text from story-

Interesting matchup at Heinz Field Sunday in the afternoon game of the day in the NFL, and I don't just mean the Steelers and Patriots. I mean the Steelers ascending wide receiver, Mike Wallace, versus the Patriots' descending cornerback, Devin McCourty.

McCourty was one of my two All-Pro corners last year, finally filling the void left by Asante Samuel when he left for Philadelphia in free agency in 2008. He was a durable shutdown corner; according to ProFootballFocus, quarterbacks had a paltry 61.1 rating throwing against McCourty in 2010 -- that's like playing against Kyle Boller every week. But that passer rating has skied to 123.6 this year. He may think he's the same confident player he was last year, but he's not playing like it.

It's not only Wallace who McCourty and the Patriots will have to worry about Sunday. A 2010 sixth-round pick from Central Michigan, Antonio Brown, gives Ben Roethlisberger a second deep threat opposite Wallace. Together, they're averaging 18 yards per catch. Suddenly, the Steelers aren't your father's Steelers. They're a team happier to throw it deep than to let Rashard Mendenhall bang it into the line.

What I've noticed watching the first half of this season is Ben Roethlisberger is not just playing scorched-earth football. He's happy to have the sub-4.4 Wallace and Brown take the top off the defense and let them run under his high-arcing rainbows. Roethlisberger is working hard to master the touch pass and the back-shoulder pass to his speed guys. I asked Wallace about that, and he bit aggressively, like he was waiting to talk about it.

"I catch 100 balls a day, and they're all with a purpose,'' Wallace said. "I'm working on the precision of my routes every day and getting better. We're getting to the point where we really know each other, and I can read what he wants me to do on a route. It's not like he has to say in the huddle, 'Mike, if the DB's gonna overrun the route here, just hold up and I'll throw it short.' I know when to adjust what I'm doing. That doesn't just happen. We throw every day. We grind it.''

That's what has made Wallace such a dangerous player. He' made enough deep plays to have an AFC-best 20.3-yards-per-catch average. But as Roethlisberger will tell you, he's not a one-trick pony. He's looked like the complete receiver he itches to be this season. And these are the games when the great ones show up big. Even if McCourty is slumping, Wallace has to know the Patriots corner and fellow starter Kyle Arrington will show Pittsburgh different cover designs Sunday -- bumping one snap, playing seven yards off the next. And everything in between.

One more thing about Wallace. I remember watching him in Steeler camp in 2010, and he and a couple of the young receivers were the last players left on the field, 20 minutes after practice broke. I've admired his drive and asked him about it when we spoke.

"I don't play football just to play,'' he said. "I want to be remembered for a long time after I'm gone.''

Well, then, these are the kinds of settings -- with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady on the other sideline -- where great players show up. I'd be surprised if Wallace didn't come up big against New England.

I'll be at Heinz tomorrow, should be good
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by SCuse7

I'll be at Heinz tomorrow, should be good
pimp.gif
Man, should be a fun game to go to. Be safe & have fun. Get that crowd loud as @#$% when that Pat's offense is on the field. **** Lebeau better have a good game plan this time around. We're 1-6 against the Pat since Brady has been the starting QB. 

Got any tailgating plans?

Alright, Alright. Good win today...We're winning the games we're supposed to against weaker opponents & at home. Funny how that loud mouth sapp saying how old we were on D & how we climbed right back. Next up the ratbirds & that fugly purple. Judging by how they played today & the prior week, we should win at home. Hope Lamarr is ok...

Yo Scuse7, how was the game?

pimp.gif
Reminds me of the 2005 Div. game vs the Colts. Come out aggressive using Heath and passing a lot. Only this time they kept passing the entire game.

Some Steelers fans dont like Arians but I do. I think he called a great game against that weak Pats D.

Also, I'll be damned if I didnt see the Steelers DBs play bump-n-run. It was like a breath of fresh air.

Yes to all the above and minus one throw awesome game by Ben. PS love Heath, one of the best all around TEs, he does so much

Both Areans & Lebeau used slightly different games plans/plays yesterday than they have before. It was nice to see.

b9116062c177163d012b64f4d2b4a982ca91301e_r.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more dmxfury. I think Heath is one of the more underrated football players out there period. When my wife & I saw Troy tackle Welker yesterday, we both thought he looked like a lion on the Serengeti mauling a gazelle...

Troy making plays all game as usual, so clutch. Making them jump offsides, tackling Welker like he did, diving on Gronks back, punching out the ball at the last second. My man.

Awesome game yesterday by the Steelers. Gives me a bit more confidence in them seeing we can beat a team like the Patriots with half of our squad out. I hope all the injuries come back fast and we finish the year strong.

Anyone hear when Harrison might return? Im thinking after the bye.

And is it just me or was signing Starks back one of the turning points of the season for us? I don't think people realize the effect Max has.

Next week i hope we beat the living %#%@ out of the Ravens. Got my tickets and i can't freakin wait...its only Monday and im PUMPED.

Signing Starks back has definitely helped. Wish we'd sign back Flozell for some more depth too. He brought a lot of attitude to the line last year. I think Harrison might be back even later than the bye. Debo had a fracture orbital bone (eye socket). Not sure that heals back fast & then take the punishment of playing pro football.

SMH @ ME NOT KEEPING UP WITH MY OWN THREAD...BASKETBALL SEASON GOT ME BUSY..

ANYWAY...

I HAVE BEEN ROCKING MY HOME POLUMALU JERSEY THIS SEASON AND I HAVE NOTICED THAT THEY HAVE NOT LOST WHEN I HAVE IT ON.

TRUST ME I PLAN TO WEAR IT THE REST OF THE WAY TOO.

BUT vs. THE PATS WE REALLY SHOWED WE CAN CONTROL A GAMES TEMPO WITH DEFENSE AND OFFENSE.

HEATH MILLER WAS MY GO TO GUY ON 3RD DOWNS IN MADDEN SINCE HE WAS A ROOKIE IM GLAD THEY ARE USING MY PLAYBOOK FROM MADDEN..LOL

GO STEELERS..

Spoiler [+]
IF ANYONE IN THE PITT AREA GET ME A TERRIBLE TOWEL HMU

Reports saying Woodley is out for the Ravens game but Harrison is cleared to practice. Hope Harrison is back for the game Sunday i'd love to see him knock off Flacco's head a few times.

Supa you need a towel? PM me man.

ProFootBallTalk.com posted this story a little while ago. Harrison tweeted that he's cleared to practice but not to play. Sounds like Woodley & Farrior are most likely going to be out...Looks like guys are stepping up. We gotta get this win at home against the ratbirds. I hope we play some more of the D Lebeau used for the Pats. It was really effective.

Back
Top Bottom