Official PITTSBURGH STEELERS 2011-2012 SEASON THREAD vol. THE BOUNCE BACK SEASON

I know the Steelers were not happy about the ratbirds cut blocking (which I kept seeing as I watched the game). I thought the league pretty much outlawed that BS but it's still happening. What's up with that? I swear, the L fines defensive players for sacking QBs, Receivers, & TEs but what about defensive players getting cut or chop blocked? Godell is so hypocritical... I have chop/cut blocking...I swear, if I was a player, I'd put a beat down on someone trying to do that on me to force to league to really address that & protect defensive players too.

So I was saying how I mad godell has made "player safety" a top issue but continues to allow chop or cut blocks. I also said if I were defensive player I would retaliate & force the league to do something about it & it looks like the Titans Defensive Coordinator Jerry Gray feels the same way...The story is below & here from Profootballtalk.com.
[h1]Titans defensive coordinator has a plan for Ravens cut blocks[/h1]
On Thursday, we learned that the Steelers believe that the Ravens are getting away with illegal chop blocks.  Then we learned that the Ravens aren’t technically performing chop blocks.

And now the situation has gone to a new level, with Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray explaining that the Titans will fight the Ravens’ fire with a little fire of their own.

“They’re trying to cut you and do those things,

24-0 but Ben's getting hit like crazy. I'd make the O-line do 100 laps for every hit Ben takes in practice...

Yes, indeed a good win. Steelers responded exactly like I wanted them to & the ratbird lost. You should hear the baltimorons pissing & crying calling in into the local sports radio show...ratbird fans are cute...

Had to watch the game at a bar. Wasn't shown in the NYC area.

Grea win. I expected them to come out a lot better than last week and they did.

Good to be re-assured that the steelers aren't as awful as they showed last week. Even though it was against the seahawks a win is a win and the D looked alright again. Ben is getting hit too much though, and that O-line isn't looking very good. I hope some changes happen and this line gels together else its gonna be one long season. 

THe first couple of weeks don't mean squat. I know things looked bleek after the ratbirds game, but shoot when was it the Broncos started out 4-0 or sometihng like that & how did they finish that year? I live in the Baltimore Metro area & You should hear these Baltimorons calling the radio show. It's pure comedy. A lot of these fools thought they were going for an undefeated season after 1 game.

Mike Tomlin Quote posted in this morning's Monday Morning QB column from SI.com's Peter King that can be found here.

"I am still chewing on last week. That's just the nature of this thing. It's not going to be just one performance to take that stench off of us.''

-- Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin, after the Steelers skunked the Seahawks at home Sunday. The stench-filled game to which he referred was the resounding loss to Baltimore in Week 1.

I don't know about you guys but I love Mike Tomlin. He's very even keeled much like Tony Dungy. I'm really proud the Rooney's put thier money where thier mouth is so to speak 7 hired a virtual unknown, especially being a young black man with no head coach experience. Most of these good 'ol boy owners wouldn't have the balls to do that.

DEAD AT THE RATBIRDS BUT YEA GOOD WIN NONE THE LESS...SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA BEAT UP PPL WEAKER THEN YOU TO BUILD UP CONFIDENCE

Originally Posted by psk2310

Yes, indeed a good win. Steelers responded exactly like I wanted them to & the ratbird lost. You should hear the baltimorons pissing & crying calling in into the local sports radio show...ratbird fans are cute...
laugh.gif
 word to them celebrating in the streets last week like they won the superbowl.

Sorry haven't posted in a minute. Nice story on Jerricho Cotchrey on Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.com's site here.

It was a quick and successful start for Jerricho Cotchery after he signed with the Steelers two weeks into training camp.

After averaging 51 catches and 645 yards in seven seasons with the New York Jets, his debut with the Steelers in the second preseason game was equally productive.

Cotchery had two catches for 49 yards against the Philadelphia Eagles, including a 20-yard touchdown from Byron Leftwich. His arrival looked to be the finishing touch to a receiving corps that includes Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown.

"When I first walked into the locker room in the preseason game and to see my name on a black-and-gold jersey, it was a sight," Cotchery said. "I was excited to be out there."

But nobody has seen Cotchery since, at least, not on a football field. He injured his right hamstring in that game, did not play in the final two preseason games and aggravated the injury the week leading up to the opener in Baltimore.

Cotchery, though, might finally resurface Sunday night in Lucas Oil Stadium when the Steelers (1-1) play the Indianapolis Colts (0-2). He has practiced all week and could dress as the fifth receiver against the Colts.

"To have that setback and having to wait this long to get back on the field have been frustrating," Cotchery said. "But the guys and coaching staff have been very supportive through this time."

Cotchery, 29, was signed to give the Steelers a tough, experienced receiver in the slot, a player who could catch the ball in what offensive coordinator Bruce Arians calls "the grimy areas of the field."

But, even if he does dress against the Colts, Cotchery likely will be used only in five-wide receiver sets. The Steelers want to make sure their young playmakers, Sanders and Brown, are on the field in the three- and four-receiver formations.

No matter. Cotchery will be glad just to be back in uniform.

"I got a lot of work in and I didn't have any setbacks," Cotchery said. "I woke up this morning and feel good right now. Coach [Mike Tomlin] is going to listen to me to see how my body is responding, and they're going to watch me work and they're going to go from there."

Cotchery said he felt his hamstring tightening against the Eagles and came out of the game. As a precaution, the Steelers held him out of practice at training camp and did not let him play in the final two preseason games, hoping to have him ready against the Ravens.

But, that week, Cotchery tested his hamstring and ended up aggravating the injury, setting him back again. He missed the first two games against the Ravens and Seattle Seahawks.

"We were being very cautious at that time, that's the frustrating part about it," Cotchery said. "It started feeling pretty good, and I went out and practiced and did it again. I wanted to be out there for that first game and I ended up missing two games because I re-did it.

"Right now, I'm feeling better than I felt at that time. Right now, I'm trying to build off this and move in the right direction to put this behind us."

Left is left, right is right The Colts have what Mike Tomlin called a "unique" way of aligning their wide receivers -- always lining Reggie Wayne on their left side and Pierre Garcon on the right.

They did the same thing when Marvin Harrison played, too, always lining him on the right.

But, actually, it's not that unique.

Arians, who was the quarterback coach in Indianapolis from 1998-2000, said the Colts do that because their former offensive coordinator, Tom Moore, always preferred his receivers to line up on the same side -- even when he was with the Steelers.

Arians said Lynn Swann always lined on the right side and John Stallworth to the left when Moore was in charge of the Steelers offense from 1977-89.

"He always thought if Marvin Harrison was going to run 100 routes, it's easier for him to run 100 routes from the right side rather than 50 from the right and 50 from the left," Arians said.

Quick hits

• Defensive end Brett Keisel (knee sprain) did not practiced all week and will not play against the Colts. He already has been ruled out.

• Cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring), who did not play against Seattle, has practiced with the second team, and will not start. He will be replaced by William Gay at left cornerback. McFadden isn't listed on the team's official status report.

Man oh man. That was too close for comfort. At least we got a W on the road in a loud dome. I was afraid coming into this game of the speed that Freeney & Mathis were going to bring against our O-line & that's what happened. Scott looked ineffective & Gilbert has got a lot of work to do. Hope they're both ok.

Colbert & Khan have some work to do. Maybe they'll give a call to Flozell to see what he's doing. We need to bring in some other guys too. I know one thing, our draft better concentrate on nothing but O-linemen & corners. Speaking of corners, I love the tongue lashing Tomlin gave Ike. He's overrated but we had to sign him because we had no one else. I think Tomlin & Carnell Lake need to really work with this group to get more effective.

Gotta tough game at Houston that's looking to rebound from thier loss to N' Awlins. Houston's gotta a scary D-Line too... Should be a tough game...

Alright so our o-line was already shaky this season but now we got Doug Legursky out for the Texans game. Jonathan Scott is out to but it was like he was there when he played anyway. I was already not sure we could get that W but now without Lergursky...Other guys better step up...

Ugly. :rollyeyes

Dominated on both sides of the ball.
30t6p3b.gif

Couldn't move even when they were giving us the game with the Texans penalties. As evidenced with their two TDs called back.

Colbert & Khan have some work to do...We gotta build a better O-line & Get some better DBs. I'm black & yellow through & through though...Not sure if anyone else felt this way, but it looked like Polumalu was getting back his fire & running around like the Tasmanian Devil again. When he caught Foster in the back field I was like "Daaaaammmmm!!!"

Changed to the yellow font....

MAN THIS O-LINE IS SHOT...TERRIBLE WAY TO LOSE YESTERDAY...I MEAN EVEN WHEN BEN GOT AWAY QUICK...THEY STILL GOT HIM...I UNDERSTAND WE HURT BUT THESE GUYS NEED TO STEP IT UP!!!

They don't have anyone else to step up. It didn't help that Legursky was out but they have no other back ups. Never thought I'd say this but I wonder what Flozell is doing? I don't think fixing this o-line is is something we can do during the season. The one think Colbert & Kahn have done poorly the last 4 years or so was drafting or targeting o-lineman in the first 1-2 rounds.

Gilbert was the first one in a long while & apparently that was done on because Maurkice begged the Steeler brass to take him. He's a rookie so seeing him get man handled right now isn't too alarming.

I have a feeling we're going to see Dennis Dixon and/or Charlie Batch playing the second half of the season.

The Texans did what they were supposed to do & that was win at home. I am concerned with the Titans coming to our place though. Muchak has them dudes playing really well. His gameplanning right now in the first quarter of the season is second to none.

Will be interesting to see...

Looks like Max Starks is coming back. Story from ProFootballTalk.com here. Hope they call Flozell too. We could definately use the help but this o-line problem ain't going to get fixed this season....

Yeah I read today too. and with Harrison out, Timmons moves to his position. Likely Slyvester will more playing time.

With the o-line tho it's all mental. They're gettin beat by simple stuff

Back
Top Bottom