***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I can't stress enough just how awful opioid withdrawal is. That electrified feeling just by itself was worse than all the other withdrawal symptoms combined, easily. It drives you absolutely nuts every second of the day. The others are basically just a worse version of the flu but that one puts torture techniques to shame.

I have had the experience using a lot of opioids in a short period of time, 24-48 hours and the withdrawals were really minimal. On the other hand, I also used fairly low doses of opioids daily for a few months and those withdrawals were pretty bad, the physical aspect was a few days and not too bad with the mental and emotional side side of things lasted for a month, just solid anhedonia.

Everyone is different but it seems like prolonged use, even moderate use for clinical reasons, really atrophies the body’s ability to manufacture its own, endogenous opioids.

Thinking about it, I think I know the issue I have with Hart's argument, it just comes off like it is dripping of libertarianism, with some implicit classism, and personal responsibility politics.

Like he is absolutely right about the war on drugs is a failure, he is dead right about how destructive criminalizing drug uses has been

But if we are to treat drug addiction like the public health crisis it is, we have to admit addiction is an issue.

And governments have the right to try to protect their citizens from harmful substances.

Like to be honest, one of the best public health things we can do in this country is banning smoking. I think the actions taken decades ago have been a net positive from a health standpoint (I have my issues with how tobacco taxes are no used to support poor communities though. If they bear a disportionate burden of the tax, they should see some benefits from the revenue)

Of course, they went waaaaaaaaay overboard on marijuana, but marijuana had evidence on its side to show it would be safe for recreational. I don't think opioids have that evidence on their side

And alcohol is crazy destructive, but the US has already failed at trying to curtail its usage

I really can't rock with his "I do it fine in moderation, so people should be allowed to do it legally" argument. Then he lost me at the scientist are overestimating the negatives part. He is saying this in a middle of an opioid epidemic. C'mon now brah

I don't bemoan Hart for making a proactive argument, especially ones that make people question their priors, but I just don't think he makes a very compelling one in regards to the recreational use of opioids. His argument relies on too much handwaving.

Last edited:
i personally don’t believe the government should have the right to tell me what drugs I can and can’t ingest. Not like I give af but that’s not the point. :lol:

my body my choice.

I really don’t believe after all they do they are in the business of keeping me safe. They are in the business of locking people up.

I know I sound like a broken record but alcohol abuse is accepted. **** damn near killed me multiple times.

all that ever happened to me off some coke or molly is I talked too much and repeated myself or maybe some acid made me laugh at a cat for no reason.

well, you guys kinda know me and i’ve smoked enough ice to buy 2 big houses :lol:

been off everything, including alcohol, for many years though.

big props.

you ever sit back and think how life is just easy now? Like compared to the ice smoking days?

I do that with drinking and I just feel:sick: thinking about the old days.

I remember after my lung removal surgery the doctors put me on some wild opioid cocktail for the next few days until my chest drain tube could be removed.

Maxed out Morphine pump
2 or 3 Dipidolor injections a day
A couple IV bags of Tramadol a day
Sufentanil (500+ times stronger than morphine)

When they added that last one to my cocktail I had enough. Within a minute I was itching like crazy while also being so far gone I could just barely keep my eyes open and mumble a few words.

On paper that looks like a recipe for an overdose

well, you guys kinda know me and i’ve smoked enough ice to buy 2 big houses :lol:

been off everything, including alcohol, for many years though.
I am glad you have moved past that and living well now. Srs

I would have hated it if you ended up on TLC, getting hemmed up by Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Having my mans Kevin crying in the back seat because he got bear maced, and forced to listen to Dog's bigoted *** telling you that "you gotta give your life to Jesus brah"

Last edited:
I don’t like any law enforcement shows unless it’s like park rangers or something. They’re chill.

The worst ideology tends to come into people heads outside of political and news media. Super hero movies, westerns, police procedurals, shows about house flipping, Mike Rowe’s fake solidarity with workers show, Dave Ramsey’s radio show all push reactionary politics more effectively and to a wider audience than even Rush Limbaugh did and way more than David Brooks’ columns do.

Heroin and opioids are some of the most addictive substances on earth. It’s almost a forgone conclusion that one would get addicted if he took it often.

Like some mentioned here, I’m a sucker for uppers. I never tried coke for that reason, I know what something like that would do to me. I know my personality too well. And that’s where the addiction really hits, it’s your personality and what type you will naturally gravitate too.

The booger sugar is where I deviate. I know people like you who don't want to try it because they're afraid they'll get addicted, and I totally understand. I've never ever pushed someone to do it. It's something I do from time to time with certain friends, and that's it.

There's a bill in Washington now to decriminalize all drugs. It's similar to what Oregon voters passed in November, but this is through the legislature. There are some differences, like no $100 fine, and the money for treatment programs would come from the general fund, not taxes generated by marijuana sales. They haven't determined a dividing line on the difference between personal and commercial possession amounts. Right now, marijuana is legal in Washington, but technically you can't possess more than an ounce. Stores can't sell more than an ounce in a single transaction, either.

TooOlfForThisIsh TooOlfForThisIsh

By capitalist class, I mean those who own so much private property that either they are the managers of those concentrations of private property wield power over other people. So obviously, the workplace is a prime example. The capitalist or its delegated managers can, depending on how much market power they have, dictate how much people are paid, how they get healthcare, how much time off they get, etc.

Then there’s all the other things they decide such as who gets home loans, what media is created and distributed, where people live. All of those things are countered, to varying degrees, by the state and the level of market competition but, of course, capital has a lot of input on how the state operates and is always trying to reduce market competition.

All of this comes with the proviso that this is a broad abstraction and within the capitalist class are vastly different levels of wealth and power as well as conflicting interests within the capitalist class.

I think you might be back projecting motives onto behaviors, but I'm not sure there's a discussion to be had there that isn't moot. At any rate, this is helpful in understanding where you're coming from. Thanks.

I had an appendectomy in college and they had to hit me off with some morphine I was in so much pain pre-op. That was nirvana.

They gave me 10 percs after the procedure and that still was the most dangerous high I’ve ever felt. Legit felt like I was in the clouds. Can’t imagine how heroin makes you feel :lol:.Childhood friend told me smoking crack had them feeling like they were on the moon. Short, intense high.

da world da LIBS built:

now enjoy it you goons.

Is nobody going to talk about the most dangerous drug of all?

1613794447216.png

0b3dabd9a0fa1158854ea68ce1c80c7d.gif

Back
Top Bottom