***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Screenshot 2021-03-01 23.32.55~3.png

I can't say that I love how the right is demonstrating how to weaponize language in real time, but it is nice to see them be threatened by speech, even though they love arguing that speech is harmless.

Joe Manchin always wants to be seen as the thorn in the democratic party side,
that has to be persuaded with various concessions to his conservative beliefs

so im sure whatever democrats say they want he'll come up with reason however absurd or illogical to not be into it.

as annoying as he can be, west Virginians seems to like it.

1637248898402.png

If I had to guess; some combination of racism, cultural identification, coal industry influence and education polarization?
Yeah, I agree

Then he should feed them that and pass the damn bill. At the end of the day most support the economics programs, it is the political attachment to Dems they hate

At the end of the day, these people will vote against their economic interest for cultural issues. WV thought Bill Clinton was too PC, illegal immigration was one of their major concerns in past elections.

They hated Obamacare, Manchin ran opposing it when he came into office, but in the last election he ran as a defender of it

Manchin can whine in public, pass the bill, brag about he make sure the Dems paid for it, then feed WV cultural red meat.

He can help the party, help poor people, and still look good

But instead, he is openly lying about BBB, and billionaires are gushing over dude and throwing him parties

Yeah, I agree

Then he should feed them that and pass the damn bill. At the end of the day most support the economics programs, it is the political attachment to Dems they hate

At the end of the day, these people will vote against their economic interest for cultural issues. WV thought Bill Clinton was too PC, illegal immigration was one of their major concerns in past elections.

They hated Obamacare, Manchin ran opposing it when he came into office, but in the last election he ran as a defender of it

Manchin can whine in public, pass the bill, brag about he make sure the Dems paid for it, then feed WV cultural red meat.

He can help the party, help poor people, and still look good

But instead, he is openly lying about BBB, and billionaires are gushing over dude and throwing him parties

the problem is it's definitely in Manchin's narrow political interest to kill BBB

1637254986049.png

and given how watered down it's become, it's pretty bleak situation all around

you gotta a beg a guy hostile to your aims
to pass something that might not even be that politically helpful because of all the compromises

the problem is it's definitely in Manchin's narrow political interest to kill BBB

1637254986049.png

and given how watered down it's become, it's pretty bleak situation all around

you gotta a beg a guy hostile to your aims
to pass something that might not even be that politically helpful because of all the compromises
Manchin is the one that demands they strip out tons of things from it

He delayed the passing of it by months, and publicly criticized it. Giving lobbyists, the right-wing propaganda machine time to do their work. Also, he himself did a lot of the anti-BBB messaging himself with the OP-Eds, and constant interviews.

He cites too much spending by the Dems raising inflation but he voted for the bill too.

So the perfect environment we have now, which he is using as reason to kill BBB, he actively help create

This is why I hate this ************ so much. It is not like his hands are tied. He actively does dirt, then uses the fallout to do more dirt.

Nastiness all around

Last edited:
One thing I've been convinced of

I think ending a lot of masking and distance requirements, at schools and different public places would really help democrats.

Canada is in a different situation, we have a pretty low number of ICU beds per capita,
so even small uptick in cases can really mess up the entire health care system.

but even in Canada id prob still recommend winding this stuff down.

Most people wear cloth masks, which don't offer that much protection.
half the people i see are wearing them improperly.
the 6 feet social distance thing from what i understand is a mostly arbitrary number
and the constant surface disinfecting is obviously useless as we know covid doesn't transmit from surfaces.

I think once Pizer releases the oral covid anti viral, you should def end all pandemic rules
but even right now i think it's time to turn down the partisan temperature.

keep vaccine mandates in place but end this mask and social distance stuff.
the mask stuff doesn't seem to help that much and it just pisses people off and has made republicans go more insane.

I think you are greatly overestimating the benefit to Dems by doing that

The Dems conceding on this won't turn down the partisan temperature because the people fueling it on the right will keep fueling it

Liberals have no control over right-wing craziness

Plus it seems like we are on the verge of a winter spike

The antiviral drugs, especially Pfizer, probably won't hit widespread use in time to stop it. Vaccine and booster will help. so hopefully we don't get a repeat of last year

The thing that will help the Dems the most is the economy, mostly inflation, and in regards to covid that means people spending more in the service sector. What won't happen until cases get low as possible

People still scared of Covid won't spend until things are looking at least as good as they were in July before Delta

Last edited:
One thing I've been convinced of

I think ending a lot of masking and distance requirements, at schools and different public places would really help democrats.

Canada is in a different situation, we have a pretty low number of ICU beds per capita,
so even small uptick in cases can really mess up the entire health care system.

but even in Canada id prob still recommend winding this stuff down.

Most people wear cloth masks, which don't offer that much protection.
half the people i see are wearing them improperly.
the 6 feet social distance thing from what i understand is a mostly arbitrary number
and the constant surface disinfecting is obviously useless as we know covid doesn't transmit from surfaces.

I think once Pizer releases the oral covid anti viral, you should def end all pandemic rules
but even right now i think it's time to turn down the partisan temperature.

keep vaccine mandates in place but end this mask and social distance stuff.
the mask stuff doesn't seem to help that much and it just pisses people off and has made republicans go more insane.

I agree with you that a lot of the digging in over masks creates unnecessary division, but I'm not sure what you want dems to do about it.

I live in the performative liberalism capital of the DMV. Every other house supports Black Lives, Refugees, and Universal Love and you know it's true because they have signs in their front yards telling you. We must have the largest per capita little free library rate in the country. And for 18 months, mask wearing has been a tribal marker more common than "Nevertheless She Persisted" t-shirts. I agree with you that the attitudes of my neighbors is not super helpful to the discourse.

That said, mandates are set by local governments. And the people of MoCo overwhlmingly are in favor of a conservative approach. I suspect that there's a high correlation between places with high vaccination rates and places with mask mandates. So short of infringing on the principal of local governance, I don't know how you make the middle happier. What's your small-d democratic solution to the tyranny of the majority in liberal strongholds. And do you support doing away with the few protections that exist in low-vaccination rate counties?

Let me know, because I'm tired of getting sneered at on playgrounds.

The thing that will help the Dems the most is the economy, mostly inflation, and in regards to covid that means people spending more in the service sector. What won't happen until cases get low as possible

This resonates. I mostly started buying sneakers and ended up finding NT precisely because I was bored and too afraid to spend money the way I normally do: restaurants, live music, etc.

I agree with you that a lot of the digging in over masks creates unnecessary division, but I'm not sure what you want dems to do about it.

I live in the performative liberalism capital of the DMV. Every other house supports Black Lives, Refugees, and Universal Love and you know it's true because they have signs in their front yards telling you. We must have the largest per capita little free library rate in the country. And for 18 months, mask wearing has been a tribal marker more common than "Nevertheless She Persisted" t-shirts. I agree with you that the attitudes of my neighbors is not super helpful to the discourse.

That said, mandates are set by local governments. And the people of MoCo overwhlmingly are in favor of a conservative approach. I suspect that there's a high correlation between places with high vaccination rates and places with mask mandates. So short of infringing on the principal of local governance, I don't know how you make the middle happier. What's your small-d democratic solution to the tyranny of the majority in liberal strongholds. And do you support doing away with the few protections that exist in low-vaccination rate counties?

Let me know, because I'm tired of getting sneered at on playgrounds.

Well I think Muriel Bowser is right to end the mask mandate in DC y'all got a super high vaccination rate,

I don't see the point in making people walk around in ineffective cloth masks.

I think blue state democratic mayor's should feel pretty confident in getting rid of mask mandates. I find it really hard to believe when the covid pill is released and covid roughly equivalent to the flu

Hard core pro mask Democrats are going to be voting base on a mask mandate you ended earlier than some Dems would like.

I think you are greatly overestimating the benefit to Dems by doing that

The Dems conceding on this won't turn down the partisan temperature because the people fueling it on the right will keep fueling it

Liberals have no control over right-wing craziness

Plus it seems like we are on the verge of a winter spike

The antiviral drugs, especially Pfizer, probably won't hit widespread use in time to stop it

People still scared of Covid won't spend until things are looking at least as good as they were in July before Delta

I think there is an economic benefit to ending the masks and distance requirements.

I think turning down the partisan temperature effects democrats also

there are lots of liberal people who take the masking and distancing and staying home as a form of partisan signaling.
and I think it's preventing a some number of people from patronizing bars, movie theater restaurants ect.

i went to a classical music violin performance,
so everyone is silent no one is yelling or hooting and hollering. you needed proof of vaccination,
but you had to wear masks and its was a half capacity.

just seems crazy to me.

Im not claiming it will be a giant paradigm shifting change, but I do think it might help on the margins.
especially the school restrictions.

putting ineffective cloth masks on children, who don't wear them correctly
just seems like a total waste of time and energy. especially if it annoys swing voters.

Some NASTY, stuff going on at the Rittenhouse trial for a mistrial right now. And headed up by Jack Posiobec and his crew. Amplifying disinformation from a “police scanner page” and what seems to be a bad actor “claiming” to work for MSNBC which leads to this.

And the Kenosha police dept confirmed that the page spreading that was false.

It’s just a matter of time that we find out that the person claiming to be “James J Morrison” of MSNBC is actually some lying right wing nut job 🤦🏾‍♂️

I think there is an economic benefit to ending the masks and distance requirements.

I think turning down the partisan temperature effects democrats also

there are lots of liberal people who take the masking and distancing and staying home as a form of partisan signaling.
and I think it's preventing a some number of people from patronizing bars, movie theater restaurants ect.

i went to a classical music violin performance,
so everyone is silent no one is yelling or hooting and hollering. you needed proof of vaccination,
but you had to wear masks and its was a half capacity.

just seems crazy to me.

Im not claiming it will be a giant paradigm shifting change, but I do think it might help on the margins.
especially the school restrictions.

putting ineffective cloth masks on children, who don't wear them correctly
just seems like a total waste of time and energy. especially if it annoys swing voters.
Please explain the economic benefit of ending mask mandates. Because you said it but didn't explain how it would

if you think some people are doing it for partisan signaling. I don't think there is any proof of this happening in large numbers or affecting the economy. But regardless there are still probably people that are concerned with catching covid or giving it to a family member so they are not gonna do certain activities until they feel safe. People's views on this stuff are probably already baked in, so matter what Democratic mayors think it won't change things until Covid becomes better. When Biden changed the mask mandates, before Delta, a lot of people on the left didn't listen to him. Hell, I was one of them.

No economist I have read on the situation we are in lists ending mask mandates as something that would help the macroeconomy in any measurable way.

Again, the antivirals are not gonna be available for widespread use until winter, probably into the next wave. So at best we are looking at Spring time for them to be truly transformative

And they should probably be used as sparingly as possible

I just don't think the cost-benefit analysis is working out the way you think

Do it, don't do it, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Last edited:
Some NASTY, stuff going on at the Rittenhouse trial for a mistrial right now. And headed up by Jack Posiobec and his crew. Amplifying disinformation from a “police scanner page” and what seems to be a bad actor “claiming” to work for MSNBC which leads to this.

And the Kenosha police dept confirmed that the page spreading that was false.

It’s just a matter of time that we find out that the person claiming to be “James J Morrison” of MSNBC is actually some lying right wing nut job 🤦🏾‍♂️

shock…

….. ing

Back
Top Bottom