***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Left these in Nancy’s office too. As seen on late night TV!!

YOU KNOW YOU GOTTA SEE THROUGH ALL DA LIB CONJECTURE

F99B0B2B-EBF6-43C2-AF7A-5919DD06C28B.gif

Again, I repeat, Manchin's ****ery is doing more to hurt the Democratic brand than any progressive.
Maybe that's the goal...

After winning her primary, she said the state party offered her campaign no support or publicity despite endorsements from well-known names such as Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang and actors Debra Messing and Rosie O’Donnell.

“I can’t tell you how many times I would send emails to the state party and say: ‘Can you please share this information? We need people to watch’ – to no response.”

Cline now believes that promoting inclusion within the party puts a target on a candidate’s back: seek to make good on the Democratic promise of being a “big-tent” party and get shut out by Manchin and his state party.

One of the most baffling moments from her campaign and a sign, she said, of the party’s disconnect with working-class people, came when the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) simultaneously endorsed Manchin and her opponent – a Republican who months later would vote to restrict individuals’ rights to unionize.

“I didn’t feel that they [the Democratic party] cared. If they cared, they would be yelling and screaming,” she said. “They would have called the UMWA out on it. But heaven forbid they do that, because that might jeopardize Manchin’s endorsement.”

David Fryson, who retired this year as a vice-president at West Virginia University, said the decline of the WVDP can be traced back to 1996. Before Manchin was senator, he lost his gubernatorial primary to Charlotte Pritt, an environmentalist hailed as a forward-thinking Democrat. Instead of throwing his weight behind Pritt, Manchin actively campaigned for Pritt’s Republican opponent, Cecil Underwood, who went on to win.

Manchin’s embrace of conservatism continued. In 2012, he was listed as the only Democratic senator to serve as a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (Alec), a conservative non-profit that focuses on reducing business regulations, weakening labor unions, loosening environmental conservation efforts and restricting voting rights.

“What I’m trying to do, in my little way, is convince the Democrats to be careful going down the rabbit hole with with Joe Manchin,” said Fryson. “He will end up … doing to the national Democratic party what he’s done to the West Virginia Democratic party. And he’s already doing it.”

Democratic state candidates not getting support from the state party on account of their identity is a major problem.

It's almost like there are Dixiecrats under the big tent.

It's time to let West Virginia go and rebuild the state Democratic party from the ground up.

Let Manchin be another Republican senator. He needs to be pushed out the same way Republicans pushed out Liz Cheney.

Judicial appointments are less important than the damage this man has been doing to the party.

Maybe that's the goal...

Democratic state candidates not getting support from the state party on account of their identity is a major problem.

It's almost like there are Dixiecrats under the big tent.

It's time to let West Virginia go and rebuild the state Democratic party from the ground up.

Let Manchin be another Republican senator. He needs to be pushed out the same way Republicans pushed out Liz Cheney.

Judicial appointments are less important than the damage this man has been doing to the party.
-Liz Chaney is not the equivalent of Joe Manchin as a member of Congress. Liz Chaney is still a Republican and would not for Nancy Pelosi to be Speaker.

-West Virginia is a lost cause. A Liberal can't win a statewide election there

-No they are not. If Breyer decides to retire, or Clarence Thomas chokes on a biscuit and drops dead after the Dems decide to make Mitch McConnell the Majority leader it be a massive blunder. Dems need to protect against own goals.

-It is not some messaging slum dunk to kick Manchin out of the party as you think. "We gave up the majority so help us get back the majority" does not sound like a winning message to me either. And it reinforces the sentiment that Dems can't govern even more than the current state of affairs. At best the Dems can hold onto the Senate for three more years. The map looks bad for the Dems from 2024 onward. They might not be able to win the Senate back after for another 10-16 years at that. So I don't know why under those conditions the Dems should go "here Mitch, just have it earlier"

Mitch McConnell wants the Dems to kick Manchin and Sinema out of the party. That to me is a major red flag why they should not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom