***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I wouldn’t support it. Just like I don’t support aborting babies post-first trimester, absent health concern of the mother, rape, and/or incest.

you can make a choice for yourself

just like your child should have that option

as should anyone else

your religious views should impact your life.. not the lives of others

It's a conservative Trump supporter who posted the picture, which is why it was in r/leopardsatemyface

While the legal rationale seems to be based on equating abortion to murder, the popular rationale against it (which, in my opinion is the real motive behind the legal push to ban abortion) is the fact that Christian religious doctrine forbids abortion.

but the fact they are motivated by their religious beliefs invalidate the secular argument?
id say no.

hence why I think appealing to "freedom from religion" is unpersuasive.

We should also account for the fact that our laws include exceptions to justify killing other people centered around the principles of self-defense and protection of property. Women own their bodies, and the fetus requires the use of their bodies to survive early in the pregnancy. If the fetus is a full person (despite having no name, no citizenship, and no numerical value from the get-go), it should have ALL the rights and ALL the duties associated with personhood, including the duty to have the consent of the uterus owner before attaching itself to it :lol:. The self-defense argument is self-explanatory: women whose lives are put in danger by the presence of a fetus should be able to terminate the pregnancy.

The Right needed religious ideologues sitting in the courts in order to ignore these arguments. That's what makes the religious aspect of the decision to overturn RvW (and trigger abortion bans in many states) important.

as i said i agree that fetal person hood is practically unworkable.
that's a different argument than claiming "freedom from religion" in response to secular arguments
regardless of their divine motivations.

you can make a choice for yourself

just like your child should have that option

as should anyone else

your religious views should impact your life.. not the lives of others

My stance on abortion doesn’t have anything to do with religion. Just like my stance on murder generally doesn’t have anything to do with religion.

You can certainly make a choice to murder someone else, but there are laws in place that would impact that choice.

His whole career is the definition of pulling the ladder behind you.

Which is why I never respect people like that. The only reason I'm where I am today is because I am standing on the shoulders of brave women and men that went before me making my dreams possible. What's funny is he's like those people I've known growing up in rural America that would call other Black people the N word but then turn to me and say we don't mean you. Thomas really believes that when the rubber meets the road they don't include him and Ginny in their hate of all things progress. He is the typical useful idiot that thinks he will be excluded from their wrath.

His whole career is the definition of pulling the ladder behind you.

knowing how dude even got anywhere near that position is sad as hell

I wouldn’t blame his sister one bit for whatever she did to dude

I bet when he hears his friends call Black people the n word he thinks they don't mean him.

so you are practically saying that they are free to kill an unborn child?

i am “practically saying“ in what you quoted that people are free to choose whatever religion they want

and that they can also choose none at all

i can further clarify this if you like:
freedom of religion, also means freedom from religion.. the choice is for the individual

My stance on abortion doesn’t have anything to do with religion. Just like my stance on murder generally doesn’t have anything to do with religion.

You can certainly make a choice to murder someone else, but there are laws in place that would impact that choice.

do you have a medical degree?

so what basis are you forming these opinions on that should be applied to everyone else but yourself?

My basis for my opinion on the legality of murder? …my law degree.

What is the basis for your opinions?

your basis for what is deemed an acceptable standard for others

as of yesterday, in numerous states in your country there are no exceptions

since exceptions do exist for you:

What state has banned abortions with no exceptions?

AIN'T NO VALLEY LOW ENOUGH FROM KEEPING ME FROM GETTING TO YOU BABY.

This is Da Theme for the Supremes

Missouri has an exception for health of the mother, so—try again.

Obviously any law that doesn’t have exceptions for health or the mother, rape, and/or incest is a law that I personally disagree with.

As I said, there is no state in the US that has banned abortions with no exceptions.

but the fact they are motivated by their religious beliefs invalidate the secular argument?
id say no.

hence why I think appealing to "freedom from religion" is unpersuasive.
While it won't have an impact on the secular argument in a court of law, the discussion about the religious motivations behind the anti-abortion movement and the hypocrisy of it do play a role in the popular perception of anti-abortion supporters. The evolving perception of these folks could change the political fortunes of politicians on the against side of the issue because I think there are a lot of republican-voting independents who do like that abortion is available and legal.

I personally disagree with.

you personally will never have to have an abortion

or suffer the restrictions of the those Missouri laws

but good luck with the murder laws that freed Trayvon martin’s killer or the killers of other black children and people

Back
Top Bottom