***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Trump in 2024

elvis-1977-final-shows-1570228.jpg

I spent 5 minutes in r/conservative after Trump announced but I had to get out of there

Too much of a good thing.. I had to pace myself. You can't eat dessert every meal of the day, but boy was that sweet reading how upset they all were.
legit chuckled out loud. this thread has been great for my mental health. whether we’re commiserating or celebrating, it’s nice to pop in here.

It’s going to be funny seeing the GOP go against him during the primaries while at the same time attempting to stroke his ego so he doesn’t go in F you mode if he doesn’t win.

But it’s comical because they want to distance themselves from him and move on from him, but at the same time there’s a very legitimate chance he beats whoever else the GOP runs to where they have to get right back on board.

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving party.
It had work the first time he ran because people were looking for someone different and had no real competition. I believe its a hard sell after 2016 considering the typical partisan republican already seen what trump is. He's been losing endorsed candidate eversince. I don't believe his maga base is that huge enough to beat the conventional republican. Trump was just fortunate to be a Perot with a Republican backing in 2016.

It had work the first time he ran because people were looking for someone different and had no real competition. I believe its a hard sell after 2016 considering the typical partisan republican already seen what trump is. He's been losing endorsed candidate eversince. I don't believe his maga base is that huge enough to beat the conventional republican. Trump was just fortunate to be a Perot with a Republican backing in 2016.

True. Admittedly some of the intangibles which worked in his favor in 2016 aren’t going to be there in 2024. And yeah you’re seeing more conservatives see through his bs and seeing all his flaws.

But he does still have enough sway within the party to where if he did run 3rd party it’s going to divide up the votes and to where he still has a very legitimate shot at winning the nomination outright. But I agree, he doesn’t have the momentum he had in 2015/16 this time around.

The thing with Trump is had he not won the nomination in 2016, I doubt he would’ve taken that L gracefully. We avoided that scenario since he won the nomination. But If he takes the L in 2024 primary wise, I just can’t see him falling in line, rallying behind DeSantis or whoever and doing what candidates who lose in the primaries normally do. Especially if things get ugly during the primaries and DeSantis tries to match his energy. I just don’t see him going away quietly if he takes that L.

I watched Black Panther Wakanda Forever and spoiler alert, the movie was about da 2024 Presidential election and Trump being installed as emperor.

It should be noted that Trump running as an independent (after the primaries) won't work in a few states unless he starts out as an independent. The biggest one being Texas. If he loses the Texas primary, he can't be on the ballot in the general for another party. Them's the rules. Same in Michigan. If he loses Texas and doesn't get the nomination, he might as well give up...unless he just wants to steal votes from Desantis out of spite in some other red states, which is entirely possible, and even more hilarious.

1668590033552.png

:lol: there’s always a scam

Mr. Trump laid out proposals that echoed ones he has long talked about: focusing on the economy and border security. But he also suggested a new law allowing the death penalty for drug dealers, a draconian suggestion strikingly at odds with a criminal justice overhaul bill that Mr. Trump signed as president. He has repeatedly expressed regret about the legislation, and the Republican base generally does not support it.

Delk did all that tap dancing about the first step act only for Trump to come out with a platform focusing on a new law allowing death penalty for drug dealers :lol:. Jesus.

I wish I was as hopeful about this Trump thing as y’all are. The response he’s getting on Reddit and Fox News right now seems very negative but I remember the shift from before 2016 as Trump morphed from a fringe candidate to the GOP’s guy and Republicans have proven time and time again that they have no shame when it comes to shifting their positions. Maybe I’m jaded cause I live in Alabama but I truly believe the vast majority of this state was elated when Trump made his announcement yesterday and I’m willing to bet Alabama wasn’t the only red state celebrating.

I wish I was as hopeful about this Trump thing as y’all are. The response he’s getting on Reddit and Fox News right now seems very negative but I remember the shift from before 2016 as Trump morphed from a fringe candidate to the GOP’s guy and Republicans have proven time and time again that they have no shame when it comes to shifting their positions. Maybe I’m jaded cause I live in Alabama but I truly believe the vast majority of this state was elated when Trump made his announcement yesterday and I’m willing to bet Alabama wasn’t the only red state celebrating.

This is a very sobering statement and post.

A lot of us also thought he had no chance in 2015 :-/

Back
Top Bottom