***Official Political Discussion Thread***

YES!

1700599909389.png

Hard enough to even afford brunch.

Then you flip your favorite Chelseas to afford it and you gotta pay your tax to the 🤴.

I thought this was America

I don't think qualifying criticism of Biden's approach to the crisis as hyperbolic is warranted. He hasn't exactly reflected the most popular position among Democrats.
did you think I wouldn't check the link?

the polling is obviously more complex then that.

according to your source when presented with put more pressure on Israel or put more pressure on Palestine. including witholding aid

47.5% of democrats think that Biden should do neither, 8.5% think they should put more pressure on Palestine.
so 55% are against putting more pressure or withholding aid to Israel.

also 70% of independents think we should do neither. and 11% think we should put more pressure on Israel.

1700601147943.png

this is what i mean, you present this stuff like it's just good politics,
when it seems to me you are just laundering your own policy preferences under the guise of political strategy.

- who knows of, or is related to innocent victims of Israeli bombings, which have been publicly embraced by Biden.
I think it's naive to think that proximity to the crisis will not affect Arab-Americans' opinion of Biden and the Democratic party. When your family/friends are dying, you tend to not care very much for the differences that exist between those who allow the killing to happen.

so as a tribute to a dead family member...they will facilitate the election of Trump?
who will absolutly support and fund much more aggressive posture towards the Palestinians and openly call for their genocide.

that's an an insane thing to do, and I just think more highly of Arab Americans voters than you maybe.

also "allow" this is exactly the type of hyperbole im talking about
Biden isn't "allowing" anything. Isreal doesn't need US support to prosecute this war.

we can influence them. but ultimately it's a gross over simplification to say "allow" unless you think we should go to war with Israel.

Attachments

• 1700601129627.png
    1700601129627.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 26
Also there def tons of young on-line political media personalities speaking hyperbolically negative about everything Joe Biden does in relation in Israel Palestine.

1700602241466.png

25% of Zoomers get their political news from TikTok, lets not act like they are all consuming sober analysis of the israel Palestine situation.
people in the isreal-palestine thread were sharing Nazi tweets acting like it was just unbiased news coverage.

Y'all were cheering the bill that put in place getting passed, but now y'all pissed because they are taking away your tax evasion scheme. :lol:

You may not like what I'm saying on this topic, but when it was $20k AND 200 transactions, and someone only sold, let's say $6,000 & had 70 transactions, if they didn't get a 1099, it's not necessary to report it.

For years, selling cars, Ford would put money on particular cars (and paid by Ford directly, even though we don't work for them). And when I sold one, the title clerk, when she reports the sale in my name, she would also report the "SPIN" with my last 4 of my SS. The value of the spin was minimum $75, but could go to $500. Most were minimum but every so often I would get a $150 or $300 one.

When I would do my taxes, my preparer, who had done my taxes for years, asked how much I got. Some years, it was $2k, when Ford was really doing well (mid 2000s for example) and then I'd get a 1099. One year I only got $500. She said since I did NOT get a 1099, she didn't need to report it. This is coming from a tax professional. And this was common knowledge for Ford salespeople. So I always looked at the old eBay transactions limit as a threshold, per the government. If I'm wrong or no one agrees with me, oh well. 🤷

By the middle of 2010, these SPINS were VERY few and far between, so we never got them much anymore. My tax preparer couldn't believe Ford didn't do it anymore, as she remembered I would have some years nearing $3k. But again, a tax professional said to not claim it if there was NO 1099 issued.

You may not like what I'm saying on this topic, but when it was $20k AND 200 transactions, and someone only sold, let's say $6,000 & had 70 transactions, if they didn't get a 1099, it's not necessary to report it.

For years, selling cars, Ford would put money on particular cars (and paid by Ford directly, even though we don't work for them). And when I sold one, the title clerk, when she reports the sale in my name, she would also report the "SPIN" with my last 4 of my SS. The value of the spin was minimum $75, but could go to $500. Most were minimum but every so often I would get a $150 or $300 one.

When I would do my taxes, my preparer ho had done my taxes for years, asked how much I got. Some years, it was $2k, when Ford was really doing well (mid 2000s for example) and then I'd get a 1099. One year I only got $500. She said since I did NOT get a 1099, she didn't need to report it. This is coming from a tax professional. And this was common knowledge for Ford salespeople. So I always looked at the old eBay transactions limit as a threshold, per the government. If I'm wrong or no one agrees with me, oh well. 🤷

By the middle of 2010, these SPINS were VERY few and far between, so we never got them much anymore. My tax preparer couldn't believe Ford didn't do it anymore, as she remembered I would have some years nearing $3k. But again, a tax professional said to not claim it if there was NO 1099 issued.
Dude, my point is that the previous standard the IRS was working under, was giving the vast majority of people a loophole to evade those taxes by the threshold being that high.

It was always law you had to report that income. But the dynamics of the threshold meant tax files could not, and there was no way for the IRS to come after you for it, especially with their limited resources. Tax professional of course say don't report it, since they are inventized to tell their client not to.

A law was passed lowering the threshold, which will eventually trigger more reporting for companies, which in turn make people have to be honest about that income. Essentially closing a loophole.

I get people don't like paying taxes. But no one's taxes are bing raised here.

I can understand some "damn this sucks" talk. But they way some people be talking about this is just silly.

Dude, my point is that the previous standard the IRS was working under, was giving the vast majority of people a loophole to evade those taxes by the threshold being that high.

It was always law you had to report that income. But the dynamics of the threshold meant tax files could not, and there was no way for the IRS to come after you for it, especially with their limited resources. Tax professional of course say don't report it, since they are inventized to tell their client not to.

A law was passed lowering the threshold, which will eventually trigger more reporting for companies, which in turn make people have to be honest about that income. Essentially closing a loophole.

I get people don't like paying taxes. But no one's taxes are bing raised here.

I can understand some "damn this sucks" talk. But they way some people be talking about this is just silly.

I never mentioned anything about taxes being raised nor complaining about it 🤷 Not sure you have me confused with someone else's comment. All I said was, I was told years ago to not report anything that didn't generate a 1099. That's all my post was about. 👍

What people are upset about is this. Perfect example. Person's parents pass away. They go over to clean out the house, and find some of their old stuff they had when they were a child (whatever it may be). Instead of throwing it away, they toss it up on eBay. Make a few bucks, enough to go over the $600 limit. But they don't want to pay tax because they don't have a receipt for the stuff since it was bought so long ago and they didn't make any money compared to what it was bought for new.

That's all people are ticked about. The normal dude clearing out some crap, like a yard sale just online. Yes, absolutely go after the eBay seller who makes his living selling anything and everything. But the normal person cleaning out crap, that's what got people worked up. 👍

My job has been pissing me off for the longest, and I got a homie that works for the IRS telling me come be an economist for them.

Best believe it I ever make the move, y'all better not be talking about any reselling around me.

If I get a hint that mplsdunk mplsdunk is flipping rabbit feed, and not claiming the profits, I'm alerting the authorities.

Or if WASHED KING WASHED KING reselling Chelsea boots online.

I'm telling.

Let him sell a pair of Chelseas to @Belgium and I'm getting those two for wire fraud, money laundering and conspiracy to commit misogyny

Try me, and imma be on my work phone like...
fbi-calling.gif
IMG_2169.png

I never mentioned anything about taxes being raised nor complaining about it 🤷 Not sure you have me confused with someone else's comment. All I said was, I was told years ago to not report anything that didn't generate a 1099. That's all my post was about. 👍
Dude you responded to me, so I assumed you are responding to my general points.

So you want to tell me a tax professional told you not to do something because they knew the IRS wasn't gonna hassle you about it.

Ok, cool

That doesn't really address anything at the core of this issue.

What people are upset about is this. Perfect example. Person's parents pass away. They go over to clean out the house, and find some of their old stuff they had when they were a child (whatever it may be). Instead of throwing it away, they toss it up on eBay. Make a few bucks, enough to go over the $600 limit. But they don't want to pay tax because they don't have a receipt for the stuff since it was bought so long ago and they didn't make any money compared to what it was bought for new.

That's all people are ticked about. The normal dude clearing out some crap, like a yard sale just online. Yes, absolutely go after the eBay seller who makes his living selling anything and everything. But the normal person cleaning out crap, that's what got people worked up. 👍
So someone got some free stuff, made a profit off of selling it, and is mad they have to pay money on that profit?

Ok, I am not sympathetic to that person when it comes to the tax incidence.

All the parents dying and childhood stuff just seems like a way to evoke sympathy for someone but has nothing to do with the actual issue.

They engaged in economic activity, they made a profit, and they should pay their taxes. If they wanted to get rid of it, then donate it. And from my understanding, the IRS will give people some leeway on estimating value when there isn't a receipt.

Furthermore, I'm not buying that alone is what has people worked up. In my personal life, every place I have read people's comments on this, on NT, in this thread, in this thread today, it is clear that people are just not mad about the random eBay seller possibly getting pinched for a few dollars.

If someone is upset at the extra time it will take to do their taxes. Ok, fine. I completely understand.

But most of the complaints I hear are just basic whining about a loophole they took advantage of closing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom