***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Pretty naive take.

This is bad take
You know what changed? Polling of Hispanic constituencies changed to favor harsher restrictions. Can’t we just admit they didn’t do a damn thing at the border for 2+ years while crossings reached record highs?

Hispanics have been right of the current Dems on the border for a while. Probably since Obama left.

Obama himself tried his best to drive down border crossings to all time lows. Some Progressives even started calling him deporter-in-chief

Obama is also the same dude that started DACA

The Dems position on immigration since Clinton left always been compromise.

With Bush, Obama, and Trump they have shown they are willing to compromise. Biden continues that traditional but the bill in question was narrower in scope.

They didn’t pass anything with a super majority because they didn’t want to.
The Democrats didn't have a supermajority during Biden. They technically didn't have one under Obama either.

A supermajority means 60 Senators. Enough to overcome a fillibuster. The Dems had 50 Senators after 2020.

They had a majority in all three Houses. Besides certain things like Budget Reconciliation, the GOP can block any legislation they please.

Oh btw, the bill didn't die in the House. Republican Senators flipped and killed it after pressure from Trump.

Then it looked bad heading into another election. I’m not sure how any democrat feels this administration did anything good on immigration reform or helping young kids stuck here illegally

You are using the same action to are two points

Joe Biden's prioritize letting unaccompanied minors cross the border.

Biden's main move on the border was letting people go through the normal longer process to get an amesty trial. So capacity at holding facilities not get overwhelmed. But as a result, that incentivzed more people to try to cross. Also, Venezuela and Haiti is pretty much melting down as a county so we see a surge.

Immigration reform compromise has been offered for decades to Republicans. They always kill it.

The Dems have limited power on what they can actually do legislatively, and with DACA they are pretty close to maxed out with other avenues.

I didn't like parts of the recent immigration bill but it was a net positive because capacity is the major issue driving issues at the border and it helps address that.

If you are mad about the filibuster, okay. But I only like two Dems (who both left the party) are too blame.

But blaming the Dems for not working some magic otherwise sounds silly to me.

Last edited:

If this persists it will impact the US election. Biden and Kamala have benefitted from the US economy being relatively strong throughout their administration. If the US heads towards a recession and global markets tank, it will hurt Kamala and help Trump.

The Fed is going to keep rates high to tank the economy. Biden should have gotten rid of Jay Powell a long time ago.

Funny, the party of God doesn’t care about protecting the land he gave us.

IMG_5525.png

Back
Top Bottom