***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I'm well aware of the purpose of a political convention. I've been watching them since 2004. If reproductive rights and the economy can take the center stage, then why is the Gaza conflict off the table?
You are asking why the most important issue in elections historically, and the most salient cultural issue domestically that helped the Dems in 2022, got more attention than Gaza?

Really, that is the question.

DL Hugley had some good ones :lol:

That was big of him to apologize
Trump gotta call the big homie up and clap back...

636199226262978160-EPA-USA-GOVERNMENT-TRUMP-TRANSITION.jpg

I'm well aware of the purpose of a political convention. I've been watching them since 2004. If reproductive rights and the economy can take the center stage, then why is the Gaza conflict off the table?
First of all, reproductive rights and the economy are domestic and have significant effects on the US population itself
Second, reproductive rights in particular is a massive win for Democrats' electoral chances
Third, the reality is that most people don't care about what happens in some foreign country that doesn't affect them personally.

I thought she addressed it perfectly, but perhaps too little for some and too much for others.

With respect to the war in Gaza. President Biden and I are working around the clock. Because now is the time to get a hostage deal and ceasefire done. Let me be clear: I will always stand up for Israel’s right to defend itself and I will always ensure Israel has the ability to defend itself. Because the people of Israel must never again face the horror that the terrorist organization Hamas caused on October 7th. Including unspeakable sexual violence and the massacre of young people at a music festival. At the same time, what has happened in Gaza over the past 10 months is devastating. So many innocent lives lost. Desperate, hungry people fleeing for safety, over and over again. The scale of suffering is heartbreaking. President Biden and I are working to end this war such that Israel is secure, the hostages are released, the suffering in Gaza ends, and the Palestinian people can realize their right to dignity. Security. Freedom. And self-determination.

First of all, reproductive rights and the economy are domestic and have significant effects on the US population itself
Second, reproductive rights in particular is a massive win for Democrats' electoral chances
Third, the reality is that most people don't care about what happens in some foreign country that doesn't affect them personally.

Sending American tax payer dollars to fund a genocide IS a domestic issue! And a major economic one at that. That affects all of us. I ask again, why is this issue off the table?

I thought she addressed it perfectly, but perhaps too little for some and too much for others.

With respect to the war in Gaza. President Biden and I are working around the clock. Because now is the time to get a hostage deal and ceasefire done. Let me be clear: I will always stand up for Israel’s right to defend itself and I will always ensure Israel has the ability to defend itself. Because the people of Israel must never again face the horror that the terrorist organization Hamas caused on October 7th. Including unspeakable sexual violence and the massacre of young people at a music festival. At the same time, what has happened in Gaza over the past 10 months is devastating. So many innocent lives lost. Desperate, hungry people fleeing for safety, over and over again. The scale of suffering is heartbreaking. President Biden and I are working to end this war such that Israel is secure, the hostages are released, the suffering in Gaza ends, and the Palestinian people can realize their right to dignity. Security. Freedom. And self-determination.
I'm sure people will cry about the mere mention of Hamas being bad too.

Sending American tax payer dollars to fund a genocide IS a domestic issue! And a major economic one at that. That affects all of us.
Ok, where were these protests when y'all and other Western countries have been sending bombs to Saudi Arabia so they could kill hundreds of thousands (300k and counting) of people in Yemen and force mass starvation upon them that's bound to increase their killing spree massively?
Plenty of people care, but let's be honest, most don't. They don't see wars, genocides, drone strikes, whatever as a domestic issue.

Sending American tax payer dollars to fund a genocide IS a domestic issue! And a major economic one at that. That affects all of us. I ask again, why is this issue off the table?
Dude, what we send Israel is not a major economic issue.

If we cut it to zero, or doubled it, it will not have a tangible impact on the US macroeconomy

C'mon now.

being right morally doesn't make politics magically disappear.

1. Many democrats don't think it's a genocide.
2. Historically people don't vote on foreign policy.
3. its not a major economic issue.

this is just the reality, you can't handwave it away.

The US military budget is so massive that even though loads of weaponry is being sold to Israel, it's barely a footnote in the US budget. Let alone the economy as a whole.

Personally I think giving aid to a rich country like Israel is cringe and lame,

but acting like it's some big economic problem is silly.
Israel doesn't desperately need that aid, it's just to keep up the political ties with their best ally in the middle east. Same reason many other western nations fund them.
They're willing to work with the west and have one of the most advanced intelligence agencies out of any country. Israel provides a look into the middle east that other countries' intel agencies simply can't match, and they're willing to share intelligence with its allies.

Americans already care about the middle east then they rationally should.

but at least you guys have an excuse, you're the global super power.

i meet canadians obsessed with this, getting mad at Trudeau.
I wanna shake them, literally no one care what Canada thinks about this.

Israel doesn't desperately need that aid, it's just to keep up the political ties with their best ally in the middle east. Same reason many other western nations fund them.
They're willing to work with the west and have one of the most advanced intelligence agencies out of any country. Israel provides a look into the middle east that other countries' intel agencies simply can't match, and they're willing to share intelligence with its allies.

oh I know, im just saying on principle its cringe and lame, but its not enough money to make a fuss about.

Americans already care about the middle east then they rationally should.

but at least you guys have an excuse, you're the global super power.

i meet canadians obsessed with this, getting mad at Trudeau.
I wanna shake them, literally no one care what Canada thinks about this.
Gonna have to disagree there. There's no standard for how much someone should 'rationally' care about a foreign humanitarian crisis.
And it's only natural there are going to be people who care a lot about their country's stance on those issues.
I care about how the Palestinians are treated and I volunteer for a friend to help her fundraise for aid to Palestine. However unlike a lot of the people we run into, I live in reality instead of whatever delusional fantasy land a lot of pro-Palestinians wander around in.

Does it affect me personally? No, if the entire Palestinian population were erased by Israel it would have zero effect on my domestic situation. However I think it's important to care about humanitarian issues. I understand the 'not my country, I don't care' mentality but I think that attitude is bound to lead to more apathy that creates these scenarios.

Last edited:
What’s going on in Gaza is horrible, obviously. But there are gonna be thousands of women this year who want or need to get abortions who also have no clue where Gaza is, why there’s a war, and how the US is even involved

Wars that the US doesn’t have boots on the ground in aren’t going to supersede domestic policy issues like abortion, healthcare, gun laws, the economy, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom