***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Gonna have to disagree there. There's no standard for how much someone should 'rationally' care about a foreign humanitarian crisis
And it's only natural there are going to be people who care a lot about their country's stance on those issues.

if the primary variable really is the humanitarian aspect

one must ask; there are lots of other conflicts that have been just as bad if not worse, that don't draw a fraction of the attention. why?

imo this gets so much attention primarily because of a non rational mix of religious and cultural factors unique to the conflict.

it's hard for me to look at the person who is say obsessed with I/P but doesn't give a **** about Yemen or Sudan and think they are rationally weighing the humanitarian impacts.

the problem is the Israel-palestine obsessives want everyone believe that the aid is so significant if the US pulled it

Israel would instantly collapse
and one state multi racial liberal democracy would emerge.
i dont know think that would happen either, but i'd like to see what would happen without the US funneling them bread

one must ask; there are lots of other conflicts that have been just as bad if not worse, that don't draw a fraction of the attention. why?

imo this gets so much attention primary because of a non rational mix of religious and cultural factors unique to the conflict.

it's hard for me to look at the person who is say obsessed with I/P but doesn't give a **** about Yemen or Sudan and think they are rationally weighing the humanitarian impacts.
Oh I thought you meant in general, not as in a comparison to other conflicts.
I think the reason Gaza gets so much attention is because of the unique scenario like you said, basically an apartheid state. Saudi Arabia's conflict with Yemen is statistically far far worse than Gaza but it's a more traditional conflict. Just two countries that hate eachother and one of them happens to be way more powerful.
And of course the worst wrongdoing coming from jews in Israel definitely plays a role for some people too.

imo this gets so much attention primarily because of a non rational mix of religious and cultural factors unique to the conflict.

i think the only reason this gets attention is because one side constantly cries victim

I care about how the Palestinians are treated and I volunteer for a friend to help her fundraise for aid to Palestine. However unlike a lot of the people we run into, I live in reality instead of whatever delusional fantasy land a lot of pro-Palestinians wander around in.

Does it affect me personally? No, if the entire Palestinian population were erased by Israel it would have zero effect on my domestic situation. However I think it's important to care about humanitarian issues. I understand the 'not my country, I don't care' mentality but I think that attitude is bound to lead to more apathy that creates these scenarios.
I care about it about as much as I care about the Uyghurs, Sudanese, Yemni people during the bombings, Syrian people during Asad's crackdown ect, Ukrainian people

I care about it on like a human level, but lets be real im not basing my vote on it. Especially as a canadian with little geopolitical influence.

I care about it about as much as I care about the Uyghurs, Sudanese, Yemni people during the bombings, Syrian people during Asad's crackdown ect, Ukrainian people

I care about it on like a human level, but lets be real im not basing my vote on it. Especially as a canadian with little geopolitical influence.
smart, i personally don't believe any candidate will have an affect on the outcome of that genocide unfortunately.
i just know we can't have that orange weirdo back in office

Same here. I prioritize domestic issues obviously and occasionally try to help out a bit here and there with a donation or fundraising. I think that's a lot more effective than me basing my vote on geopolitics in this tiny country.

RFK admitted his wife, kids and friends don't want him to join the Trump campaign

But he is doing it because Trump promised him a cabinet position, and he knows he the one that can save kids from chronic disease

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RFK admitted his wife, kids and friends don't want him to join the Trump campaign

But he is doing it because Trump promised him a cabinet position, and he knows he the one that can save kids from chronic disease

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1724441771182.gif

I think what happened is that protestors thought that they would get a lot of national attention and media coverage, and would force the hand of the Dems in some way.

They didn't

So now the beef is the DNC didn't concede something to them anyway.

These folks are letting idealism blind them, and they are making decisions that feel good in the short term, but end up being negative for their interests.

Americans are watching their freedoms crumble as the result of the elections of 2016 (in which support for Clinton was also undermined by her past foreign policy decisions/"scandals," notably Haiti and Benghazi). This is the political memory these folks are fighting against. I'm sure there are a lot of folks today for whom basing their vote on foreign policy decisions tangential to their lives has become a mistake they won't repeat.

What’s going on in Gaza is horrible, obviously. But there are gonna be thousands of women this year who want or need to get abortions who also have no clue where Gaza is, why there’s a war, and how the US is even involved

Wars that the US doesn’t have boots on the ground in aren’t going to supersede domestic policy issues like abortion, healthcare, gun laws, the economy, etc.
In Alabama, they're talking about charging with conspiracy people who help women get abortion out-of-state, even if it's only providing info about where they can get it.

Why should they care more about Gaza than their own wellbeing?

Ok, where were these protests when y'all and other Western countries have been sending bombs to Saudi Arabia so they could kill hundreds of thousands (300k and counting) of people in Yemen and force mass starvation upon them that's bound to increase their killing spree massively?
Plenty of people care, but let's be honest, most don't. They don't see wars, genocides, drone strikes, whatever as a domestic issue.

I don't see folks make demands from Democrats when the UAE (which benefits largely from US military aid) is funding and helping another genocide happen in Sudan:

The UAE is a major defense market that offers many opportunities for U.S. exporters. The UAE ranked #9 as a global defense importer from 2016–2020, and the United States was the largest supplier (64%), according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SPIRI).

Passports recovered from battlefields in Sudan suggest the United Arab Emirates is covertly putting boots on the ground in the country’s devastating civil war, according to leaked documents.

A 41-page document, sent to the UN security council and seen by the Guardian, contains images of Emirati passports allegedly found in Sudan and linked to soldiers of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), the African nation’s notorious paramilitary.

Back
Top Bottom