***Official Political Discussion Thread***

In that same segment that talked about the gains Trump is making with black men they also talked about the gains Harris is making with white women. It's going to be interesting to see how things play out.

Similar to black men moving towards the Republicans, I tend to question data points like this. There have been talks of white women moving away from Republicans for years but when they get in that booth they do the thing that they've always done.

Last edited:
But even in that very narrow slice of the media is that true?

Ezra Klein has had plenty of pro Palestinian voices on his podcast, even pro Hamas writer.

Like is NY Times lacking in pro Palestinian content?

1729015087744.png

1729015101742.png

1729015108902.png

1729015122043.png

1729015178575.png

1729015200112.png
Ezra Klein is one person, who does a pretty good job at having a wide array of voices on his pods. I think it’s absolutely true that the MSM has not provided Palestinian journalists with the same platform as they have with the others. Posting a few links over the course of the year doesn’t change that, especially when we know that TV networks exist as well. Social media, like TikTok has been far and away the biggest platform to hear from Palestinians. I don’t think that’s really controversial to say.

I don't think this is true, I think American is a country with a large christian population, and a large jewish population

where world war ii and 9/11 still looms large in the minds of many people.
This is far too simplified. Stratified by age, younger Americans who are also far less religious and less likely to hold 9/11 WW2 sentiments exist. The age difference is more important here. And the Jewish population of the country is 2%. That’s not large at all

Yeah i wouldn’t say America has a large Jewish population at all

Yeah, the US Jewish population isn't very large but it is very influential in important industries like banking and media. The fact that such a small percentage of the population has such an outsized influence is the root of some anti-Semitism.

This is far too simplified. Stratified by age, younger Americans who are also far less religious and less likely to hold 9/11 WW2 sentiments exist. The age difference is more important here.
yah but thats my point, the difference in a opinion between age cohorts, is not media diet

it's religious observance and how close you are to the cultural impact of WWII and 9/11 and the war on terror.

I agree different ages have big differences of opinion but I don't think if you showed some boomer gen z pro palestine tiktoks they would become pro palestianin,

imo it's less about media and more about culture and history. gen-z is further removed from that culture and history.

And the Jewish population of the country is 2%. That’s not large at all

united states has the largest jewish population outside of Israel.

and jewish people have a disproportionate impact on the culture, due to their over representation in cultural production.

so it's large relative to every other country, and even larger considering for so long they over represented in film and tv. and fighting hitler and ending the holocaust is such a defining cultural memory.

Ezra Klein is one person, who does a pretty good job at having a wide array of voices on his pods. I think it’s absolutely true that the MSM has not provided Palestinian journalists with the same platform as they have with the others. Posting a few links over the course of the year doesn’t change that, especially when we know that TV networks exist as well. Social media, like TikTok has been far and away the biggest platform to hear from Palestinians. I don’t think that’s really controversial to say.

but that's kind of what i meant by the comparison conservatives acting like the fox news not being mainstream "media".

TNC criticism makes sense if you think of media as only the select prestige center left institutions.
you need to ignore the most popular media platforms for anyone under the age of like 50?

and even when you do that I think the claim isn't that strong. NY Times have plenty of progressive Israel critical people. Michelle Goldberg, Jamelle Bouie, Ezra Klein, charles blow,

MSNBC got rid of mehdi hassan, but like Chris Hayes is def pro palestine and has Palestinians on his show. Joy Reid does,

and I think Ezra Klein is right, that he makes his whole project way too easy to dismiss by not mentioning Hamas.

I honestly feel like a percentage of MAGA would rather cause violence and attempt to intimidate people, rather than actually take the time to vote.

I also believe there is a percentage of Republican votes who won't vote for their candidate and have had enough. They guy is sounds worse than Biden did when he had a cold.

yah but thats my point, the difference in a opinion between age cohorts, is not media diet
But different age cohorts also consume the media entirely differently. So it also begs the question of what the influence is there? The MSM has absolutely characterized this in one way, down to how TNC pointed out how Israeli murders are talked about versus Palestinian deaths.
I agree different ages have big differences of opinion but I don't think if you showed some boomer gen z pro palestine tiktoks they would become pro palestianin,
I think it’s possible if they consumed the primarily TikToks from a Palestinian POV versus watching Dana Bash and Jake Tapper for months then they have an entirely different view of things on aggregate, which could include the US’s funding of Israel in the conflict. Being Pro-Palestinian is a bit too simplistic, IMO.
MSNBC got rid of mehdi hassan
They got rid of the biggest pro-Palestinian voice on any of the MSM networks. I don’t think you can just hand waive that. That’s pretty important.

TNC criticism makes sense if you think of media as only the select prestige center left institutions.
I mean isn’t that the bastion of the prestigious institutions? He’s clearly making a critique of those places, including one that he used to work at.
and I think Ezra Klein is right, that he makes his whole project way too easy to dismiss by not mentioning Hamas.
Disagree with this, but I need to actually read the book as well.

also maybe Ta Nehasi Coates gets into this in the book,
the question id love to get his thoughts on,

in my memory "the case for reparations" hinges on the idea that if you are discriminated on the basis of your race, the injury should be remedied on the basis race.

normally provisioning government resources on the basis of race would be wrong,
but it's okay in the case of reparations because it's a remedy for a race based injury.

Doesn't the same argument apply to Zionism? Like we can say having a state built on the idea of ethnic groups demographic majority is wrong...

but what if it's a remedy to the specific persecution of that ethnic group?

if the injury comes from your ethnicity/religion, doesn't the remedy necessarily have to discriminate by ethnicity/religion? isn't it the same logic as reparations?

But different age cohorts also consume the media entirely differently. So it also begs the question of what the influence is there? The MSM has absolutely characterized this in one way, down to how TNC pointed out how Israeli murders are talked about versus Palestinian deaths.

I think it’s possible if they consumed the primarily TikToks from a Palestinian POV versus watching Dana Bash and Jake Tapper for months then they have an entirely different view of things on aggregate, which could include the US’s funding of Israel in the conflict. Being Pro-Palestinian is a bit too simplistic, IMO.

They got rid of the biggest pro-Palestinian voice on any of the MSM networks. I don’t think you can just hand waive that. That’s pretty important.

I mean isn’t that the bastion of the prestigious institutions? He’s clearly making a critique of those places, including one that he used to work at.

Disagree with this, but I need to actually read the book as well.

we can agree to disagree,

maybe im too cynical. but I think if you show older americans any conflict where jews are on one side and arabs are on the other.

i think most of them will take the side with the jews, I think WWII, 9/11 are that powerful, and no amount of zoomer tik toks will undo it.

According to osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh ”Make America Great Again” right? I thought blue collar work was one of the defining pillars of American Society? That’s what sort of made America so great in the past right? But Almighty Republican Trump is mocking the same people he’s supposed to be going to bat for?

But hey, Democrats are trying to feminize American men and are ignoring their needs :lol: :rofl:

….Because America has a CRUMBLING infrastructure? Why would it NOT benefit blue collar workers, construction workers, etc? :lol: :lol: :rofl:

Majority of these young folks and young men want absolutely nothing to do with manual labor/hard labor.

The bill was supposed to benefit the men and women who are employed to do that type of work

And most of these people are men. We dominate the blue collar sector.

So, if you were to say "the infrastructure bill will bring benefits to blue collar men" instead of "workers," what you thought was inclusive of men suddenly gets interpreted as exclusive of minorities within the blue collar world.

Yeah, the US Jewish population isn't very large but it is very influential in important industries like banking and media. The fact that such a small percentage of the population has such an outsized influence is the root of some anti-Semitism.
I took the original statement to mean as a percentage of jews it IS very large in the US

There aren't a lot of Jews around period tbh

Back
Top Bottom