***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I think the media attention that Trump got for his stupid comments and actions was undeserved, and the fact checking he got was necesary
But I'm not going to sit here and act like the opinion bias was not slanted towards Hillary more than Trump
Agreed. There was a pretty overt bias towards Hillary from media outlets throughout the election. But I don't think it really benefitted her. If anything it backfired.
My Belgian friend, with all due respect I disagree with this. Her "scandals" were in the news just as much as his (emails, Bill on the tarmac, pneumonia, Benghazi, Wikileaks etc etc etc), and even worse they weren't ever properly debunked. She was repeatedly called a poor candidate, despite being the most qualified candidate ever. I can't believe I am in here caping for Hilary, but to say the media had an overt bias towards Hilary is misleading to me

Nah Bernie didn't lose because of the media, he just lost because he didn't get enough of the minority support. Sure you could say the DNC elites preferred Hillary over Bernie, but he lost due to the votes at the end of the day.

It is so weird, since the election, Bernie has shown over and over why he lost the primary so bad.

My mans just don't know who to talk to or about minorities :lol: , to the point he thinks that the Dems should stop talking about it all together.

For the sake of the Progressive movement I hope young Progressive politicians, especially white ones, are not looking to Bernie as an example.

That will just make it easier for Cory Booker, or other dudes closer in the center, in 2020.

Last edited:
Nah Bernie didn't lose because of the media, he just lost because he didn't get enough of the minority support. Sure you could say the DNC elites preferred Hillary over Bernie, but he lost due to the votes at the end of the day.

I don't disagree with you on that; I'm just saying Hillary was much more covered than Bernie during the primaries. His presence in the MSM became less negligible as the primaries ended (when he started raising a lot of money seemingly out of nowhere).

I think the media attention that Trump got for his stupid comments and actions was undeserved, and the fact checking he got was necesary

But I'm not going to sit here and act like the opinion bias was not slanted towards Hillary more than Trump
Agreed. There was a pretty overt bias towards Hillary from media outlets throughout the election. But I don't think it really benefitted her. If anything it backfired.
My Belgian friend, with all due respect I disagree with this. Her "scandals" were in the news just as much as his (emails, Bill on the tarmac, pneumonia, Benghazi, Wikileaks etc etc etc), and even worse they weren't ever properly debunked. She was repeatedly called a poor candidate, despite being the most qualified candidate ever. I can't believe I am in here caping for Hilary, but to say the media had an overt bias towards Hilary is misleading to me
All the political pundits from the likes of CNN and MSNBC and all national newspapers said she would beat Trump by a landslide and were 99% sure of it .
And the media spent most of the time trying to delegitimize Wikileaks throughout the entire election.
Yes they did a poor effort debunking the gossip and rumors, but it was just too obvious to me that they tried to limit the bad image of Clinton up until the Comey letter.
Most of Clinton slander that I saw was actually on social media, mainly from folks that reposted articles from Breitbart and popular alt right attention ******

Good thing that Trump is gonna increase fracking that will only hurt the coal industry more. :smh:

But hey, if these people lose their jobs and health insurance they can still get health insurar.........:smh: :lol:

Last edited:

I think we may also differ in our view on bias. As you've probably noticed reading international press it's a little different from American coverage.

While I do agree with your point about her controversy coverage, I often found the style of reporting to be off-putting. In terms of the language used, ...

Could be just me but I often got the impression that the authors made it obvious who they were leaning towards, especially during the primaries.

If that makes sense. 

Last edited:

But the race started with Hillary getting a huge head start.

I think daddystyles is just busy Christmas shopping. 
laugh.gif

We need to put an APB  out on him

ancestry points bulletin

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/12/23/...usiness-deals-jeopardize-us-531140.html?rx=us

The Trump transition team did not respond to Newsweek when asked if the president-elect had intended to signal his approval of the carnage in the Philippines; did not believe the conclusions of the U.N. and Western nations that Duterte ordered the killings; or simply did not understand the magnitude of his comments. One thing, however, is clear: The Trump family has an enormous financial interest in keeping Duterte happy. Trump Tower at Century City in Makati, Philippines, is on the verge of completion, with potential buyers having placed deposits on at least 94 percent of the condominiums, according to Century Properties, the Trump Organization’s business partner there. During the U.S. presidential campaign, Trump’s sons Donald Jr. and Eric traveled to Makati to shovel some dirt in a ceremony to celebrate the structural completion of the building; a photograph of the two men shoveling alongside top Century Properties executives was posted on the building’s website. (On that same website, a line of jewelry by Trump’s daughter Ivanka is offered for sale, and it is expected to be available for purchase at the $150 million property.) As with almost every property with Trump’s name on it built over the past decade, his company is not the developer; it merely sold its name to Century Properties to use on the building. Although details of the transaction are not public, contracts for other Trump branding deals reviewed by Newsweek show that they require a multimillion-dollar up-front payment as well as up to 25 percent of the developer’s revenue, year after year. So, under the deal, Trump’s children will be paid millions of dollars throughout their father’s presidency by Jose E.B. Antonio, the head of Century Properties.

Duterte recently named Antonio the special government envoy to the United States.
The conflicts here could not be more troubling or more blatant: President Trump will be discussing U.S. policy in Southeast Asia with one of his (or his children’s) business partners, a man who is the official representative of a foreign leader who likens himself to Hitler.

The result of all this is that Duterte has extraordinary leverage against Trump, and no one will know what impact that might have on the future president’s decision-making. For example, will Trump ignore the promises he made during the campaign on immigration when it comes to the Philippines, given the devastating impact it could have on the economy there?

A report by the research division of Nomura Securities concluded that, under Trump’s declared policies, “the Philippines' economy stands to lose the most” of all countries in Southeast Asia. And because many Filipino guest laborers in the United States are undocumented, the report said that a tightening of immigration policies could lead to fewer migrant workers from that country. “This could impact remittances inflows back to the Philippines,” the report says. “The U.S. is host to 34.5 percent of the total overseas Filipino population, and we estimate accounts for about 31 percent of total worker remittances." According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, remittances from the United States totaled almost $6 billion in the first seven months of 2016. Translation: Under Trump’s immigration policies, huge supports for the Filipino economy could collapse.

@TraSoul82 will like that highlighted part above.

There's more in that article.

The last domino hits Trump Tower at Century City: The global property consultancy services company CB Richard Ellis has attributed increased demand for luxury condominiums in the Philippines to the country’s growing economy. Impose duties on Chinese imports to America today and Trump Tower in the Philippines could fall into bankruptcy soon after, costing the president’s children millions of dollars.

We need to see those tax returns. That is just one country! Considering the number of places at odds with the US he is invested in, you can't tell me with a straight face that he will put his interests below that of Americans.

Last edited:
For those that say it's a political act, tell them that there's over 100 million registered voters who don't vote each time. Which means a) if they're trying to "protest" somehow, no ******* body is paying any attention to an extra missing vote out of 100 million and b) those number of votes would be able to elect the president and every other office in the land if they worked together.
They didn't say explicitly that it was a political act, but that's the sense I got from talking to alot of people who didn't vote. And if were being real here, people from these communities vote all the time on some level and they're issues still don't get addressed on the local, state, and federal levels. There's only so much grassroots activists can do to organize people. Most of the time, the people who are trying to organize these communities are activists with little resources who are fighting forces that have a financial and political machine behind them.
At this very moment, there are a lot of places in this world where people have their voices being trampled on. Watch what's going on in Gambia (president lost recent elections: concedes to his opponent the day of, only to backtrack and call the elections illegitimate the next day
laugh.gif
)

Silence is not a political act. It is EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT. The subtext of Trump sending thanks to non-voting blacks is the same as those who want to limit Black people's participation in American politics: "know your place" They'd prefer you stay home while they gladly collect your taxes, but if you speak up, they're not against keeping you silent forever.
I feel you on that. I can look at other situations happening around the world to other disfranchised people and not marginalize what's going on here. You can also look at Joseph Kabila and his reign of terror in the DRC and how he's overseen countless Congolese murders and the displacement of Congolese lands in favor of cultivating resources that the Congolese people won't see a cent of. Just to clarify, the people I talked to didn't say the act of not voting was a political act, but that's the sense I got from them in our conversations.

And While I agree to a certain extent that silence is not a political act, AA's have arguably been the most vocal group in this country when it comes to systemic racism and inequality and yet our problems are still here (Arguably worse). It isn't as if people aren't fighting.

It's literally the same thing in schools today. MLK is the safe person to talk about, he had a dream and people became integrated. But my daughter saw Selma, Race, and 42 so from watching them and having a father who ain't havin it, she knows better.
lol, They've done a great job of sanitizing and whitewashing MLK's image. They froze him in time at "I have a dream" and caused people to forget just how radical he really was. I really didn't learn about the radical side of King until I was an adult.

Back
Top Bottom