***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Steve Kopack [emoji]10004[/emoji] @SteveKopack
Reuters headline just now: WHITE HOUSE SAYS IN RESPONSE TO MSNBC THAT TRUMP PAID $38 MILLION IN TAXES ON INCOME OF $150 MILLION

@maddow BREAKING: We've got Trump tax returns. Tonight, 9pm ET. MSNBC.

(Seriously).
:nerd:

Who in WiezarMazars leaked them [emoji]128064[/emoji][emoji]128064[/emoji][emoji]128064[/emoji]
Are you the hero we need? [emoji]128064[/emoji]

You know potentially losing your career for this would not be a risk I would take. For high net worth individuals all those databases and tax returns are password protected. I don't work there but I do have friends from grad school that do. However, none of them are on the account.

I know how tight all firms are on security because when my firm handled some big trust and estate issues for high profile celebrities things were kept super tight. Had to sign NDCs and everything. There really has to be a brave sole to try to leak this return. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a partner and a SM on the whole return and the senior manager is on the partner track to hold it against him if he does leak. So don't hold your breath.

So the taxes released are not incriminating... but they were released... given to a reporter by someone who is not known...

Could Putin be making a power play and showing him who the captain is now? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Well from what she just grabbed she maybe has a handful of pages meaning no details but just the raw numbers. Without the statement details you can't detain anything trust me. Unless there's more than what she just grabbed.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

http://www.businessinsider.com/rachel-maddow-trump-tax-returns-david-cay-johnston-msnbc-2017-3

The White House on Tuesday evening released some information about President Donald Trump's 2005 tax returns after MSNBC host Rachel Maddow's show teased that it had obtained part of the forms.

A tweet from Maddow's account on Tuesday read, "BREAKING: We've got Trump tax returns." Daily Beast writer David Cay Johnston touted a pending story in a follow-up message.

The documents are described as the first two pages of Trump's 2005 federal income tax return, according to Daily Beast contributor David Cay Johnston.

The forms noted that Trump and his wife Melania paid the equivalent of less than 4% of their 2005 income in regular federal income taxes — amounting to about $5.3 million. The documents indicate the Trumps paid another $31 million — classified under the alternative minimum tax (AMT) that Trump has suggested should be eliminated.

In response to Maddow's earlier teasing of the reporting, a White House official told Business Insider that Trump paid $38 million in taxes on $150 million in income in 2005, while blasting the MSNBC report.

"You know you are desperate for ratings when you are willing to violate the law to push a story about two pages of tax returns from over a decade ago," the official said.

To date, a complete accounting of Trump's history has not been publicly released, breaking from decades of tradition in presidential politics. During the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump resisted calls to share his returns, citing an ongoing audit which he claimed prevented him from making the documents public.

Experts have refuted that claim, but Trump persisted, saying he would release the returns after the audit was completed, ostensibly after the election. Trump's campaign manager-turned-White-House counselor Kellyanne Conway said after the inauguration in January that Trump would not publish his tax returns, after all.

Trump largely scoffed at the necessity of revealing his tax documents, often claiming that voters would learn "very little" from them. Critics like 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton have suggested there may be a "bombshell" hidden in Trump's taxes.

Late in the election cycle, The New York Times published several pages from Trump's 1995 returns.

Good for Maddow to summarize the reporting they've been doing tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But for real. Did Putin just tell Drumpf who the captain is now? :nerd:

Makes sense why Trump wants to eliminate the AMT, he paid millions of taxes because of it in 2005.

The one thing it proves is how he wants to abolish the AMT and how it would scew it towards the rich. Now AMT is a credit going forward which can actually lower your tax burden on the future taxes but it also forces you to pay at least a certain amount at the least. It's not hard to hit AMT once you hit 100k in income.

Back
Top Bottom