***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Didn't watch the piece yet but journalism isn't dying, it's better than previous years. It's just people tend to focus on cable news-esque bits when it's not the only avenue.

Didn't watch the piece yet but journalism isn't dying, it's better than previous years. It's just people tend to focus on cable news-esque bits when it's not the only avenue.
the only outlet I watch that I feel really informs me of things anymore is vice news on HBO

the only news I listen to now is NPR

giphy.gif

This kind of pisses me off.

Charlie Gard is an infant in England with an exceedingly rare genetic mutation. My understanding is that he has irreversible brain damage and is being kept alive on life support.

His parents want to send him to the US for experimental therapy to treat his genetic mutation. This will not reverse his brain damage. It will, at best, only prolong his suffering. He will serve as nothing more than a guinea pig.

The pope and now trump are stepping in and supporting his parents by saying he should be allowed to be flown to the US for this futile treatment. It looks great to the public. "Look at these politicians stepping in to help promote life!"

But the truth is that this is dangerous. Politicians should not be intervening in the decisions of medical professionals. They have no idea how difficult and complicated these situations are.

I abhor this.

For the record, I can give the pope a pass on this, begrudgingly, because it is a consistent position from him. But for trump, this is utter ********.

edit: I realize there is a tiny chance I am wrong about this and that this baby could be saved. I'm willing to take that risk. FDT.

Last edited:
This kind of pisses me off.

Charlie Gard is an infant in England with an exceedingly rare genetic mutation. My understanding is that he has irreversible brain damage and is being kept alive on life support.

His parents want to send him to the US for experimental therapy to treat his genetic mutation. This will not reverse his brain damage. It will, at best, only prolong his suffering. He will serve as nothing more than a guinea pig.

The pope and now trump are stepping in and supporting his parents by saying he should be allowed to be flown to the US for this futile treatment. It looks great to the public. "Look at these politicians stepping in to help promote life!"

But the truth is that this is dangerous. Politicians should not be intervening in the decisions of medical professionals. They have no idea how difficult and complicated these situations are.

I abhor this.

For the record, I can give the pope a pass on this, begrudgingly, because it is a consistent position from him. But for trump, this is utter ********.
but its a great opportunity to make him look like he cares! Don not the pope 

I like how the focus is on him wearing a ball cap not the fact that his family is still actively on the beach chillin'

Back
Top Bottom