***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So Trump banned transgender folks from the military as a concession to get GOP house votes to pass the spending bill with money for his border wall.... Damn....

1383504823821.png.opt800x450o0,0s800x450.png

Yeah, that's not how his works. It's definitely good to share your opinion in meetings etc - but once the decision has been made you don't go on Twitter/TV saying how wrong everyone else is!

Or take random cheap shots at people

Sure the the cost could be pasted onto the consumer in theory, but a small firm might not have the market power to do that. Their competition, say a larger business, might decide to eat the cost in another way in he short term. Attract more customers, kill the competition, and then they will increase prices even more than the last business need now they have the power to do so.

I kinda feel consumers tolerate too much market consolidation just because they see lower prices in the short run. This is how Amazon gets people.

Expanding...

Really, a minimum wage is a anti poverty measure. A EITC and a negative tax rate can be structured to be a very good anti poverty measure. It will also finally structure the tax code to help those at the bottom not the top and serve as a bridge to UBI if we ever choose to go that wage.

I don't by into the GOP's constant "think of the small businesses" rhetoric because I know they are full of ****. If they really cared about small business they would support things like single payer, and not underfund things like the USPS. I also want a robust welfare state because having a job and working 40 hours a week should not be mandatory to have health insurance, food on the table, a roof over your head, access to cheap transportation, etc.

I want small firm around exiting and entering markets easily to break big business, I want to strengthen labor and I want anti poverty measures. So I see a jacked up EITC will help do those things.

I'm pretty much in the same mindset on this topic. I want everyone to make a genuine living wage and I think it is ideal to get the lowest earning people to that point through a combination minimum wage increases and a negative income tax.

I would start wit ha 12 dollar Federal floor because 15 dollars an hour might end up having real disemployment effects in the low cost of living parts of the Country. I'd encourage states and municipalities to raise their minimum wage beyond that. Seattle's 15 dollar an hour experiment is doing great and they could probably bump it up to 18 an hour with no disemployment effects, as could every major city in the Country. I'd also make federal that preempts States' ability to preempt local law so that what happened in Missouri could not happen again.

Then from there, I'd use a modified version of the EITC to move a worker up to 20 to 30 an hour depending on the local cost of housing and the number of dependents that they may have.

BTW, serious question here. Where did the whole "minimum wage will cause massive inflation" meme come from? Most of my professors were conservative or libertarian and mostly opposed the minimum wage but they always did so on the basis of disemployment and not inflation.

Suddenly, around 2012, 2013, I start hearing on talk radio and on internet comments that "minimum wage will cause hyper inflation." Who was patient zero for this stupidity? Was it some article in some off brand journal of economics or some guy with a Fedora on youtube.

In any case, it does make sense politically to encourage this nonsense. Cities and states have been raising the minimum wage and the disemployment effects were minimal or non existent. Given all the facts, conservatives had to abandon their unctuous concern for low wage workers losing their jobs and shifted to a more self centered appeal, the notion that low wage workers' gains would create a loss for the folks who make a little bit above minimum wage and for small business owners, the elite of the proletariat and the petty bourgeoisie, respectively.

So Trump banned transgender folks from the military as a concession to get GOP house votes to pass the spending bill with money for his border wall.... Damn....

His trips to Maralago are more expensive than that money he is saving from banning transgenders from being in the military.

Certainly, at least I am. But it's just adding to the demolition of the respect, dignity and reputation of the White House, the presidency and the US as a whole. It's rather mindblowing how much damage Trump and the admin. have already done to the US' global standing in just these few months. And instead of taking a step back and allowing some more actual professionalism, they seem to continually find new ways to degrade the country and its political institutions' status. That doesn't directly affect me of course but I believe a strong, professional, diplomatic and respected America is in our best interest. A global laughingstock with a weak incompetent president is not.

In other news, senator Lindsey Graham clearly doesn't seem to trust Trump to have the common sense to not fire Mueller.
He's writing a bill that would weaken a president's power to fire a special counsel without a federal judge's approval if that counsel is investigating the president or his administration. And yes, obviously the president doesn't directly fire a special counsel, he must order the AG to do so. The bill would put an additional hurdle in place.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ill-to-stop-trump-from-firing-special-counsel
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R–S.C.) said Thursday that he is writing a bill that will limit President Trump's ability to fire the special counsel investigating Russian election meddling.

Graham said his bill, which he will introduce next week, will block a president from firing the special counsel without a federal judge’s approval if that counsel is investigating the president or his administration, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The South Carolina Republican has a Democratic cowriter on the legislation in Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.), who said on MSNBC earlier this week that he had "concerns" about Trump attempting to oust Robert Mueller.

“It has to be for cause and the judicial branch should have a say in whether there is legitimate cause or not,” Booker said on Tuesday.

Graham said he was crafting the legislation because “we need a check and balance here" and that the bill will apply to Trump as well as all future presidents.

Trump has left the door open to firing Mueller, who is reportedly investigating his finances in addition to possible ties between Trump's campaign and Russia.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who appointed Mueller, has said that he would not fire the special counsel if Trump asked him to. But if Trump fires Attorney General Jeff Sessions — whom he has repeatedly attacked for recusing himself from the Russia investigation — he could appoint a new attorney general, who in turn could fire Mueller.

Last edited:
I went back to the beginning of this thread, which started in October 2012 and I noticed a few things...

Some NTers claiming that Obama was "too liberal". @coupeit88 @david bowman
I bet those same people wish he was still the President now.

The dudes who were caping for Willard didn't even bother coming in here to cape for The Bigot. @i lax bro @crcballer55 @utvol23
Why are y'all shook now? :lol:

This thread really went from about 300 pages to over 4300 pages in the last year and a half. :lol::wow:

Tony is doing EXCELLENT work. Let the YAPPA sing COMRADE even if it's friendly FIRE.

Tony is doing EXCELLENT work. Let the YAPPA sing COMRADE even if it's friendly FIRE.
EXCELLENT work in the Game Of Thrones thread comrade :smokin
Even outside of this thread da libbies aren't safe from da Dapper Don and the COAL GANG

EXCELLENT point as usual Tyrion (possible spoiler removed). Sometimes when they go low you have to go even lower. Cersei is just like Don in many ways.

EXCELLENT observation. I was thinking Cersei was pulling a Trump when I heard her (spoilers redacted). Cersei on that Make Westeros Great Again strategy. Sam's dad holds a lot of anti immigrant sentiment (hates the free folk and probably any foreigner) so Cersei talking about (spoilers removed) the way she did was red meat to people like Sam's dad. Cersei 2020.

EXCELLENT work in the Game Of Thrones thread comrade :smokin
Even outside of this thread da libbies aren't safe from da Dapper Don and the COAL GANG

Thank you for the recognition COMRADE. I have to attack LIBBIES WHEREVER THEY POST FAM. Rusty posts in the WDYWT with a Bernie 2020 hat, you BETTA BELIEVE I am following up with a post with me in my MAGA hat. Rusty posting in the transgender troop thread you BETTA KNOW I will be RIGHT there opposing his views. Rusty is team Jon Snow and I was as well but you BETTA BELIEVE I hope the Night King washes him now that I found out where Rusty stands. Rusty is my greatest adversary in life. Rusty and me going to meet up in Temecula soon to settle things.

american-flag-eagle-crying-1_zps182b7ba0.jpg

https://www.c-span.org/video/?431852-1/william-browder-overturning-magnitsky-act-putins-top-priority
JULY 27, 2017

Foreign Agents Registration ActFinancier and former Russia investor William Browder testified at a hearing on the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA). This law requires those representing the political interests of foreign powers to disclose their relationship. Mr. Browder told committee members that the Kremlin-linked lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya, who met with Donald Trump Jr. was heading Russian efforts to get sanctions under the Magnitsky Act repealed. The act blocked Russian government officials and businessmen associated with the death of Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky from entering the U.S., froze assets in U.S. banks, and banned the use of American banking systems.

Mr. Browder was originally scheduled to appear the previous-day as the second of a two-panel hearing, but Democrats invoked the “two-hour rule,” so the second panel was re-scheduled for the following day. The first panel can be viewed by typing program identification number 431604-1 into the “Search the Video Library” search bar.

So Scaramuccis plan is simply to follow trumps lead and be as crazy if not crazier out the mouth than the Bigot in Charge himself, what a **** boy...lmao

Back
Top Bottom