***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Lol ... come on son ... watch the video and stop lying to yourself ...
""Let's make sure we show up wherever we have to show up. And if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere. We've got to get the children connected to their parents"

Is apparently equal to "perhaps those second amendment people can do something about that" (by shooting her). I don't like taking the whataboutism route but Trump has explicitly advocated violence against his opposition on multiple occasions. From explicitly calling on his supporters to beat up protesters and saying he'd pay their legal fees to do it to "joking" about 2nd amendment folks shooting Hillary to stop her from hurting the 2nd amendment. Republicans responded by voting for him as president yet call for Maxine Waters' resignation for remarks that aren't even close to being as bad and certainly aren't as numerous.

Try reading again, I said I think her initial statement was too strongly worded and there is a line between confrontation and harassment. Just a general example but some actions have consequences; if someone repeatedly engages in racism they should expect to be publicly confronted at some point. Life isn't some magic safe space where you can do whatever you want and expect zero confrontation, especially government officials with significant impact on people's lives.

Last edited:
I feel like Maxine's initial statement was a bit too strongly worded but it was also blown out of proportion at the same time. Republicans are acting like she said those second amendment people should go do something about Trump administration officials. I don't recall her exact clarification but she pushed back against the idea of her advocating for non-peaceful confrontations. The tricky part is not taking confrontation into the harassment/abuse territory.
Democrats should be the last people to tell their fellow party members to "stay civil" in light of what the opposition is doing.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/26/politics/republicans-oppose-legal-illegal-immigration/index.html

Highlights how the GOP has become more hardline towards legal immigration.

They don't believe in the "immigration line" argument they use to counter the amnesty position. They simply use legal immigrants to deflect from the true nature of their opposition to immigration, which is xenophobia.

Bingo.

“We just want them to come the legal way” while simultaneous pushing for policy that makes legal immigration harder.

Civility now, Civility now

maxresdefault.jpg
IMG_20180626_134409.jpg

"So I got a little notice. We have wonderful security guys. It said, ‘Mr. Trump, there may be somebody with tomatoes in the audience.’ So if you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously. Just knock the hell .... I promise you, I will pay for the legal fees. I promise. I promise."

Responding to Bernie being interrupted by BLM protesters and peacefully handling the situation:
"That will never happen with me"
"I don't know if I'll do the fighting myself, or if other people will. It was a disgrace. I felt badly for him, but it showed that he was weak. You know what? He's getting the biggest crowds, and we're getting the biggest crowds. We're the ones getting the crowds. But that's never going to happen to Trump."

"Get him the hell out of here, will you, please? Get him out of here. Throw him out!"
In response to a Fox & Friends host asking Trump about allegations that a BLM protester was roughed up at that rally:
"He was obnoxious, maybe he should've been roughed up"

"See, he’s smiling. See, he’s having a good time. Oh, I love the old days, you know? You know what I hate? There's a guy, totally disruptive, throwing punches. We're not allowed to punch back anymore. I love the old days, you know what they used to do to guys like that when they were in a place like this? They'd be carried out in a stretcher, folks. Oh, it's true. … The guards are very gentle with him. He’s walking out with big high-fives, smiling, laughing. I’d like to punch him in the face, I’ll tell you,"

"Get him out"
"Try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court, don't worry about it."

"We have had a couple that were really violent, and the particular one when I said I'd like to bang him, that was a very  —  he was a guy who was swinging, very loud and then started swinging at the audience and the audience swung back, and I thought it was very, very appropriate. He was swinging, he was hitting people, and the audience hit back and that's what we need a little bit more of."

"In the good old days this doesn't happen because they used to treat them very, very rough. And when they protested once, they would not do it again so easily. But today they walk in and they put their hand up and they put the wrong finger in the air at everybody. And they get away with murder, because we’ve become weak."

"Part of the problem and part of the reason it takes so long (to remove the protesters) is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore, right? And they're being politically correct the way they take them out. So it takes a little bit longer. And honestly, protesters they realize it -- they realize there are no consequences to protesting anymore. There used to be consequences. There are none anymore."

"I don't know if I would have done well, but I would have been out there fighting, folks. I don't know if I'd have done well, but I would've been — boom, boom, boom. I'll beat the crap out of you."

I think adding the context of a field of Republicans nearly being assassinated by an estranged goofball might be the impetus for some of the requests for civility ...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeff-...-judicial-nominees-until-gop-votes-on-tariffs
Jeff Flake: I Will Block Trump Judicial Nominees Until GOP Votes on Tariffs
The move largely takes aim at Senate GOP leaders like Mitch McConnell who have thus far prevented a vote on restricting Trump’s tariff-imposing powers.

I'll wait until I see him actually doing it but I can appreciate the gesture. Sad that he's the only one even trying to push back though and he's leaving Congress anyway. The question is if congressional Republicans would even vote to rein in Trump's tariff powers if such a vote were held.
Congressional Republicans seem quite content with Trump's unilateral attempt to damage not only the US' own economy but to take down US allies and China with him. If/when Trump keeps escalating his trade war it's just a matter of time before the economy really starts to hurt as a result. For now I am glad at least his supporters are starting to feel the impact. The trade war isn't good for my pockets either so the only real upside to me is that the Trump supporters will be hurt more.

Republicans should've immediately pushed back the very moment he said "trade wars are good and easy to win". While Trump declares trade with Canada, Mexico, China and the EU as national security risks, Trump should've been the one to be designated a national security risk when he said those words. This is a senile manchild who is both temperamentally and intellectually unfit to declare just about anything a national security risk to impose tariffs. It doesn't take a genius or an economics degree to figure out that "trade wars are good and easy to win" is beyond ignorant and completely detached from reality.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-signals-zero-tolerance-on-future-iran-oil-exports-1530028859
U.S. Toughens Stance on Future Iran Oil Exports
Senior official says any country that imports Iranian oil after November risks sanctions

The U.S. expects all countries to cut oil imports from Iran to “zero” by Nov. 4 or risk sanctions, a senior U.S. State Department official said on Tuesday, expressing a toughening of the Trump administration’s Iran policy as Washington tries to politically and economically isolate Tehran.

Buyers of Iranian crude had expected the U.S. would allow them time to reduce their oil imports over a much longer period of time, by issuing sanctions waivers for nations that made significant efforts to cut their purchases. That expectation was partly based on previous comments from top Trump officials as well as the Obama administration’s earlier decision to wean the world off Iranian oil over several years.

But the senior State Department official said on Tuesday the administration doesn’t plan to issue any waivers, and would instead be asking other Middle Eastern crude exporters over the coming days to ensure oil supply to global markets.

Democrats should be the last people to tell their fellow party members to "stay civil" in light of what the opposition is doing.

democrats gonna continue to be lame pushovers. I don’t see any hope for them. Not surprised if they lose the election again in a few years and have no idea how it happened again.

Back
Top Bottom