***Official Political Discussion Thread***

mind-blowing that among the first things they want to open up are hair and nail salons.
that's like a genie giving you 3 wishes and first thing you ask for is a kit kat bar.

A lot of barbers and hairstylists are in a tough position because they are unable to earn due to the safer-at-home orders, and they are facing tremendous difficulty in receiving unemployment benefits because--prior to this--they would have been ineligible for it.

And the state systems are having difficulty processing and approving the claims.

So how about fix the unemployment for them?

“well, our system is ****ed up for you 1099 workers. Just got back to work, it’s easier for us that way.”

The CARES Act actually did expand unemployment to 1099 and gig workers and added an additional $600 per week on top of the state benefits so the issue is pretty much related to some states who have been systematically gutting the unemployment system in their state for years. Obviously the fix to that is to tell people to risk their lives to work instead of fixing the ******* system.

So how about fix the unemployment for them?

“well, our system is ****ed up for you 1099 workers. Just got back to work, it’s easier for us that way.”

While it would be great, I don't think that the unemployment system issues in America can be fixed overnight. Especially considering the tremendous load on the systems already due to many more people filing for unemployment than normal due to mass layoffs.

In this situation, allowing businesses to reopen, while adhering to social distancing guidelines, can happen quicker than fixing the unemployment system in America. It's far more pragmatic.

And many people need the relief sooner than later.

As I've said many times, I have the privilege of being able to earn from home. I will continue to do that. I think many in this thread enjoy that same luxury.

If I didn't have that privilege, and I needed to leave from home to earn/sustain, then I probably would. I imagine that is the same for most people.
How is Trump denying people their stimulus checks?

Further, much of what you are talking about has not been passed by either chamber of Congress.

Somehow, I don't think that does much for people that are struggling right now.

You can place blame wherever you like, but that still doesn't address the issue.

As it stands, it's between waiting on several acts of congress or letting people earn while still trying to responsibly adhere to social distancing guidelines.

I respect your opinion. But it comes from a place of not having to make that difficult decision. Sure, waiting for Congress to get its act together is easy when the delay doesn't impact you directly.

I'm fine waiting. Others aren't. That's the issue.

Be careful, your dialectic with Rusty is leading to perilously close to the conclusion that rent and bills and monthly debt payments are inherently coercive and are used to ensure a poll of desperate, low wage laborers for capital.

Obviously the best use of our time is not to fix current issues in the system, but to concede they are broken, throw people to the wolves, and re-focus our energy on bailing out the oil industry. THE PROBLEM CANT BE WORSE THAN THE SOLUTION!!!!!!

They can fix unemployment, they just don’t care.

it was crashing like crazy in mn. They fixed the site and the offices are open Sunday now. You file and you get approved that day and get your check 3 days later.

For self-employed individuals as well? Or just people who would have been traditionally eligible for unemployment?

Everybody, I work next door to a barber shop. They said it was a couple extra steps and they got it. They are all contractors.

Capture.JPG

Yeah this really shouldn't be an issue except in states like Florida who have been intentionally sabotaging their own unemployment system for years.

Here is the actual section from the CARES Act which addresses it

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

My wife is on straight up corona unemployment. While I’m on seasonal union unemployment. Mn has levels to the unemployment game.

My wife is on straight up corona unemployment. While I’m on seasonal union unemployment. Mn has levels to the unemployment game.

Yeah my wife is on part-time furloughed from her clinic. The process here isn't as quick as Minnesota, but you submit the claim weekly and get payment 10 days later. It wasn't all that difficult to get signed up or approved. Two days after registering with the state she got a letter in the mail stating what the weekly state benefits would be.

Last edited:
That’s similar to here, I request payment weekly on Sunday or Monday and get it by Wednesday.

Every year I have to re do my income too just like everyone else and then my payment is based off that.

somebody check the Falcons´ temperature, they got heated way up right here.

catching strays in a pandemic, that´s what ¨never live it down¨ looks like.

mind-blowing that among the first things they want to open up are hair and nail salons.
that's like a genie giving you 3 wishes and first thing you ask for is a kit kat bar.

never forget some nations got UBI this year and the Land of the Free™ got to GO BACK TO WORK RIGHT NOW

Whole lotta charges
https://www.thedailybeast.com/accus...-ripped-off-social-security-feds-say?ref=wrap
Accused GOP Election Fraudster Leslie McCrae Dowless Also Ripped Off Social Security, Feds Say
McCrae Dowless already faces criminal charges related to a 2018 ballot fraud scheme. Now he’s accused of lying to get on disability

A Republican operative in North Carolina who’s facing criminal charges related to the alleged harvesting of election ballots was simultaneously ripping off the Social Security system, federal prosecutors say.

The Justice Department indicted Leslie McCrae Dowless this month on four federal criminal counts alleging that he knowingly concealed his income and employment status from the Social Security Administration even as he brought in tens of thousands of dollars from his political work in the Tarheel State.

That work has already landed Dowless in major legal jeopardy. He was arrested in early 2019 and charged with five criminal counts including conspiracy and obstruction. Later that year, Wake County prosecutors charged him with additional counts including conspiracy, obstruction, and perjury. He has denied wrongdoing on all counts.

Barbers and hairstylists are in a tough position like 80% of the rest of the country, self-employed or not.

It is clearly a difficult time for these businesses (and I would love a haircut!) but the really irresponsible part of that is that it is a great vector for disease spread - multiple people sitting in the same chairs in close proximity in an environment wholly unsuitable for decontamination.

I keep having to have similar discussions with my work and people wanting to do things that are fairly trivial relative to the risk of someone dying - mine is a hardline stance but it’s ludicrous to think any other way when that is the stakes.

Back
Top Bottom