Official Sacramento Kings Off-season Thread

Kings, Fredette, NBA Draft Leftovers

Here are a few thoughts, insights and assorted observations on the Thursday's NBA Draft:

* It wouldn't be right to let Beno Udrih slip quietly out of Sacramento without mentioning his impressive rehab.

The player who once was traded by a frustrated Gregg Popovich, waived before he even got on the plane to his next destination (Minneapolis) and had another miserable Year II with the Kings, looked in the mirror and these past two seasons changed everything.

He worked himself into tremendous shape, served as a mentor to Tyreke Evans, and this past season was the Kings' most consistent player. His stop-and-pops from the foul line were money shots, and during his four seasons here, he learned to accept and absorb physical contact that routinely follows drives to the basket.

He also was the club's best decision-maker with the ball, particularly late in games. His major mistake (and one of the Kings' worst characteristics) was failing to demand the ball in those situations.

* The reports indicating that the Kings coaches were upset about the Jimmer Fredette selection (No.10) are puzzling and inaccurate.

The only coaching voice that matters - that of head coach Paul Westphal - resonated loud and clear; he wanted the BYU star all the way. In the hours leading up the draft, the front office types/coaches debated about a group that consisted of Fredette, Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson and, somewhat surprisingly, USC forward Nikola Vucevic.

The Kings liked Vucevic a lot and, in fact, tried to move up to grab him before the 76ers took him at No.16. Additionally, Alec Burks also moved higher up their draft board in the final weeks.

Ultimately, and as always, team president Geoff Petrie made the call. He was said to be vacillating between Walker and Fredette before the John Salmons trade.

Thereafter, he felt Fredette - an exceptional deep shooter - was the better fit, but would have been fine with Walker. The point became moot anyway when the Bobcats drafted Walker at No.9.

* Two players the Kings were not enamored of: Brandon Knight and Kawhi Leonard.

* Westphal pressed hard for the Salmons' acquisition. While I was told some members of management share my reservations about on-court chemistry and ball movement with so many dribble-heavy players projected into the starting lineup, the theory was that Westphal, entering the final year of his contract, deserved significant input on personnel.

Citing the inconsistency of small forwards Donte Greene and Omri Casspi, along with a preferance to play Cisco Garcia as a two-three combo, the Kings third-year coach lobbied long and hard for Salmons.

* Greene or Casspi figure to be traded before the season, and the word is, the Kings believe Casspi has a bigger upside and would prefer to hang onto him.

* So while free agent Marcus Thornton is an explosive scorer, and almost sure to be rei-signed by the Kings, the intriguing question is this: How long before we see a starting backcourt of Evans-Fredette, with Thornton coming off the bench and providing instant offense?

* With minimal difference these next two years between the Udrih-Salmons' contracts, the Kings' team payroll is approximately $31 million.

As one Kings source told me earlier today, because they retained enviable salary cap room, that still leaves about $18-$20 million to utilize in free agency, or some combination of free agency and trades. The plan is to aggressively pursue a major frontcourt talent.

Posted by Ailene Voisin

STR's cliffs
Voisin with some after draft tidbits. Highlights:
* Reports Coaching Staff didn't like Jimmer were BS. We all knew that. National media doesn't usually know what they're talking about in regards to Kings.
* Kings also liked Nikola Vucevic, and looked to possibly grab another first rounder to acquire him but couldn't get anything done. Not surprised at their interest, he had a great workout.
* Kings weren't enamored with Knight or Leonard. Voisin doesn't give a reason but my guess is they felt them too raw to contribute right away, which is why they were leaning towards the more experienced Fredette and Walker.
* Westphal pressed for the Salmons acquisition, wanting consistency at the wing. Meh.
* Garcia or Casspi figure to probably be traded sometime this offseason to clear congestion. Kings like Casspi more, would prefer to keep him.
* Offseason plan is to "aggressively pursue a major frontcourt talent" whether by Free Agency or Trade.

Kings, Fredette, NBA Draft Leftovers

Here are a few thoughts, insights and assorted observations on the Thursday's NBA Draft:

* It wouldn't be right to let Beno Udrih slip quietly out of Sacramento without mentioning his impressive rehab.

The player who once was traded by a frustrated Gregg Popovich, waived before he even got on the plane to his next destination (Minneapolis) and had another miserable Year II with the Kings, looked in the mirror and these past two seasons changed everything.

He worked himself into tremendous shape, served as a mentor to Tyreke Evans, and this past season was the Kings' most consistent player. His stop-and-pops from the foul line were money shots, and during his four seasons here, he learned to accept and absorb physical contact that routinely follows drives to the basket.

He also was the club's best decision-maker with the ball, particularly late in games. His major mistake (and one of the Kings' worst characteristics) was failing to demand the ball in those situations.

* The reports indicating that the Kings coaches were upset about the Jimmer Fredette selection (No.10) are puzzling and inaccurate.

The only coaching voice that matters - that of head coach Paul Westphal - resonated loud and clear; he wanted the BYU star all the way. In the hours leading up the draft, the front office types/coaches debated about a group that consisted of Fredette, Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson and, somewhat surprisingly, USC forward Nikola Vucevic.

The Kings liked Vucevic a lot and, in fact, tried to move up to grab him before the 76ers took him at No.16. Additionally, Alec Burks also moved higher up their draft board in the final weeks.

Ultimately, and as always, team president Geoff Petrie made the call. He was said to be vacillating between Walker and Fredette before the John Salmons trade.

Thereafter, he felt Fredette - an exceptional deep shooter - was the better fit, but would have been fine with Walker. The point became moot anyway when the Bobcats drafted Walker at No.9.

* Two players the Kings were not enamored of: Brandon Knight and Kawhi Leonard.

* Westphal pressed hard for the Salmons' acquisition. While I was told some members of management share my reservations about on-court chemistry and ball movement with so many dribble-heavy players projected into the starting lineup, the theory was that Westphal, entering the final year of his contract, deserved significant input on personnel.

Citing the inconsistency of small forwards Donte Greene and Omri Casspi, along with a preferance to play Cisco Garcia as a two-three combo, the Kings third-year coach lobbied long and hard for Salmons.

* Greene or Casspi figure to be traded before the season, and the word is, the Kings believe Casspi has a bigger upside and would prefer to hang onto him.

* So while free agent Marcus Thornton is an explosive scorer, and almost sure to be rei-signed by the Kings, the intriguing question is this: How long before we see a starting backcourt of Evans-Fredette, with Thornton coming off the bench and providing instant offense?

* With minimal difference these next two years between the Udrih-Salmons' contracts, the Kings' team payroll is approximately $31 million.

As one Kings source told me earlier today, because they retained enviable salary cap room, that still leaves about $18-$20 million to utilize in free agency, or some combination of free agency and trades. The plan is to aggressively pursue a major frontcourt talent.

Posted by Ailene Voisin

STR's cliffs
Voisin with some after draft tidbits. Highlights:
* Reports Coaching Staff didn't like Jimmer were BS. We all knew that. National media doesn't usually know what they're talking about in regards to Kings.
* Kings also liked Nikola Vucevic, and looked to possibly grab another first rounder to acquire him but couldn't get anything done. Not surprised at their interest, he had a great workout.
* Kings weren't enamored with Knight or Leonard. Voisin doesn't give a reason but my guess is they felt them too raw to contribute right away, which is why they were leaning towards the more experienced Fredette and Walker.
* Westphal pressed for the Salmons acquisition, wanting consistency at the wing. Meh.
* Garcia or Casspi figure to probably be traded sometime this offseason to clear congestion. Kings like Casspi more, would prefer to keep him.
* Offseason plan is to "aggressively pursue a major frontcourt talent" whether by Free Agency or Trade.

2f130177f53a4d60aad20867625a1663_7.jpg

The sudden turn of enthusiasm and optimism in this thread has me pumped up
laugh.gif

If this team somehow secures that "major front court talent"
eek.gif

The sudden turn of enthusiasm and optimism in this thread has me pumped up
laugh.gif

If this team somehow secures that "major front court talent"
eek.gif

Yall already have that talent in the front court with cousins.. I'm hype to see this team play

Yall already have that talent in the front court with cousins.. I'm hype to see this team play

Originally Posted by DUB 253

Y'all get my support just for drafting Isiah Thomas
pimp.gif

Good luck to you guys.

Grant Napear said on his show that the Kings were really looking into taking Isiah at 35 but ended up taking Honeycutt so when they saw Isiah still available at 60 they jumped all over it.

Getting all the guys we wanted in this draft
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by DUB 253

Y'all get my support just for drafting Isiah Thomas
pimp.gif

Good luck to you guys.

Grant Napear said on his show that the Kings were really looking into taking Isiah at 35 but ended up taking Honeycutt so when they saw Isiah still available at 60 they jumped all over it.

Getting all the guys we wanted in this draft
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

It doesn't look like we're gonna resign Dalembert. Without him our front court is pretty weak. Hassan and Darnell aren't ready to play 15-20 minutes a game.

Originally Posted by henz0

It doesn't look like we're gonna resign Dalembert. Without him our front court is pretty weak. Hassan and Darnell aren't ready to play 15-20 minutes a game.

Back
Top Bottom