:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Offseason Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What impact of the bad pick? We were and have been contenders since he got here. They could afford to swing big. It didn’t work out due to circumstances nobody could have predicted. The trade IS and already has been an afterthought because we were just in the NFCCG and are poised to make another run this year again.

For me the Trey pick is up there with some of those all time bad picks given the circumstances. They traded a sizable haul to move up to draft him. Which makes the impact of the bad pick that much more magnified.

Had they just simply drafted Trey outright without trading anything else to do so. You take the L. Charge it to the game and view it as another of many high first round pick qb’s over the years who didn’t pan out.

The saving grace and silver lining is that they’ve managed to find value and talent in the later rounds of the draft to soften the blow and they don’t owe Miami any more first round picks. If Brock Purdy ends up being the long term answer at qb and they keep winning. The trade eventually becomes an afterthought.
I thought the trade was already an afterthought with how the Niners performed since Brock was drafted. The team didn't regress and became one of the top teams in the league.

Why can't people just be happy about that and move on?

that’s why i said i don’t think it was a reach. it’s more of a stain on the organization for the way they handled Trey. they knew they drafted a project and put very little effort to actually get him ready. that’s like buying a box of legos and not putting it together them calling it bust :lol:

I’ll just put it like this. You can give the organization props for having played some very good football the last two seasons. It’s deserved.

You can also critique the Trey trade and think about how those squandered picks could’ve helped make the team even better and also how they could’ve handled Trey better.

Yeah they haven’t felt much damage from the trade in terms of the picks they gave up. But those first round picks if used properly would’ve gave them more flexibility and depth when they inevitably aren’t able to afford players due to salary cap issues.

You can acknowledge both at the same time. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

that’s why i said i don’t think it was a reach. it’s more of a stain on the organization for the way they handled Trey. they knew they drafted a project and put very little effort to actually get him ready. that’s like buying a box of legos and not putting it together them calling it bust :lol:

How did they put little effort into developing him? Dude can’t develop if he doesn’t break his fingers one year then his foot another. All while another draft pick comes on and takes us to the NGCCG. You really think they’d give up what they did and then not invest time into him? Let’s be logical.

If people want to be angry that’s fine, but focusing those feelings towards the franchise is dumb. A bunch of unforeseen circumstances happened that has led us to this point. It’s nEither Treys fault or the team.

How did they put little effort into developing him? Dude can’t develop if he doesn’t break his fingers one year then his foot another. All while another draft pick comes on and takes us to the NGCCG.

he needed game reps plain and simple. he needed to be in actual game situations to get acclimated to the temp of the game. the team decided to stick with jimmy even when it was clear he was more of a liability than an asset.

he needed game reps plain and simple. he needed to be in actual game situations to get acclimated to the temp of the game. the team decided to stick with jimmy even when it was clear he was more of a liability than an asset.
Lance had played little football before getting to the NFL. Sitting hun for a year to learn an offense was the right move. We didn’t need to him to win us games now. He was the future. Jimmy was better. We were a winning ball club. You play Jimmy and develop Lance. Unfortunately injuries and the emergence of Brock derailed the plans.

I’ll just put it like this. You can give the organization props for having played some very good football the last two seasons. It’s deserved.

You can also critique the Trey trade and think about how those squandered picks could’ve helped make the team even better and also how they could’ve handled Trey better.

Yeah they haven’t felt much damage from the trade in terms of the picks they gave up. But those first round picks if used properly would’ve gave them more flexibility and depth when they inevitably aren’t able to afford players due to salary cap issues.

You can acknowledge both at the same time. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

You’re assuming there are guarantees in the draft to make the team better. I’ll give up those picks 100/100 times if we end up with the roster we have now. What if we don’t end up with Brock? Or Christian? Or any other player acquired since then? Would you take the picks over them? Trading those picks is part of what has led us to where we are today because thts reality. I don’t want to live in a what if world.

Lance had played little football before getting to the NFL. Sitting hun for a year to learn an offense was the right move. We didn’t need to him to win us games now. He was the future. Jimmy was better. We were a winning ball club. You play Jimmy and develop Lance. Unfortunately injuries and the emergence of Brock derailed the plans.

you don’t pick up the tempo of the game on the sidelines, just can’t.

you don’t pick up the tempo of the game on the sidelines, just can’t.
He needed to sit back and learn. Dude IS STILL RAW. He was having trouble reading a defense THIS preseason. We don’t know the ins and outs behind the scenes. Maybe it isn’t just physical, maybe he’s not developing up top. He’s been in those QBs tooms long enough to be able to diagnose certain things.

The point is, we don’t know behind the scenes how his development is. And throwing a QB out there with little to no experience, at the expense of a team that was ready to win NOW was not fair to the players. Jimmy was the better option at the moment, and Trey learning in the background was perfect. He got his starting job the year after. And he breaks his foot…then Brock happens.

He needed to sit back and learn. Dude IS STILL RAW. He was having trouble reading a defense THIS preseason. We don’t know the ins and outs behind the scenes. Maybe it isn’t just physical, maybe he’s not developing up top. He’s been in those QBs tooms long enough to be able to diagnose certain things.

The point is, we don’t know behind the scenes how his development is. And throwing a QB out there with little to no experience, at the expense of a team that was ready to win NOW was not fair to the players. Jimmy was the better option at the moment, and Trey learning in the background was perfect. He got his starting job the year after. And he breaks his foot…then Brock happens.

you’re missing the point. you can see things on film all you want. it’s not the same as seeing it person. he needed the chance to see it live and the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them. that wasn’t gonna happen in a film room. he had all offseason to learn the playbook. he needed reps

by sitting him a year the expectations grew and the pressure was on him to perform better than if he would have got the chance his rookie year

You’re assuming there are guarantees in the draft to make the team better. I’ll give up those picks 100/100 times if we end up with the roster we have now. What if we don’t end up with Brock? Or Christian? Or any other player acquired since then? Would you take the picks over them? Trading those picks is part of what has led us to where we are today because thts reality. I don’t want to live in a what if world.

Hindsight is always going to be 20/20.

But given the 49ers track record with injuries and also the plethora of guys who are eventually going to need to get paid. Those picks could’ve been very helpful beyond right now and could’ve even added to the roster those past two seasons. Windows close fast in the NFL so hopefully they don’t feel the impact of squandering those picks over the next few years. Keeping those picks at the very minimum would’ve also allowed them the flexibility to keep their options open and allow them to be players for any big name player on the market.

At the end of the day they mismanaged the Trey situation beyond what they gave up to get him. I don’t have any issue with how they’ve handled things after Trey got hurt in terms of moving on. But you don’t trade what they traded in the first place to draft a guy so he can sit on the bench and watch Jimmy Garoppolo. The sitting and watching stuff can work in some circumstances. But going into his rookie year. Trey was already 2 years removed from any real consistent in game action. If you make that move. You gotta let him play and be willing to accept the rookie mistakes and growing pains which come with it. I would’ve much preferred watching a rookie Trey Lance make rookie mistakes and learn from them over an 8 year veteran at the time like Jimmy making rookie mistakes.

That said. This is all moot if they win the Super Bowl at some point in the next few seasons.

you’re missing the point. you can see things on film all you want. it’s not the same as seeing it person. he needed the chance to see it live and the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them. that wasn’t gonna happen in a film room. he had all offseason to learn the playbook. he needed reps

by sitting him a year the expectations grew and the pressure was on him to perform better than if he would have got the chance his rookie year

You absolutely nailed it with the expectations growing and the pressure on him to perform in year 2. They were coming off a near trip to the Super Bowl in 2021. They were expected to be good and year 2 Trey was expected to produce. Even if he didn’t get hurt. He wasn’t going to hand the patience and learning curve he would’ve been afforded his rookie year.

His rookie year the 49ers were more of a mystery going into the 2021 season. It was understandable for people to look at 2019 as a fluke and that the 2020 team was more a reflection of what they really were. Yes I know they were hit with injuries in 2020. But expectations were more modest in 2021. Coming off a 6-10 season. Trey would’ve gotten way more patience. He would’ve been allowed to make rookie mistakes and he would’ve been able to essentially be a rookie qb without all the extra crazy pressure.

Cuz if we don’t win a SB in this window we’re about to go thru a couple years of “but what could we have done with Brock + the talent left on the table from those 2 1st round picks spent to move up.”

I agree with my man Ced, if it was just the Trey pick, **** it, charge it to the game as the cost of a high first, but they sold the farm for the next two years on the bet

Facts

The mistakes Trey would've made had he been inserted as a starting QB in 2021 would not have been any worse than the plethora of mistakes Jimmy made.

2 years ago I was saying we would've been better off giving Trey the starting job the remainder of the year after Jimmy couldn't even hit this wide open receiver which, had he completed it, would've probably won the game vs TEN.

Kyle instead decided to play a banged up and injured Garoppolo in the playoffs and we all know how mediocre Jimmy played, EVEN DURING OUR WINS IN THE WC AND DIV Rounds, something Trey couldve easily matched cause opponents would not have been able to game plan as good against Trey like they did vs Jimmy.

Of course, thr inevitable result was Jimmy wetting the bed at LAR in thr NFCCG lol
Screenshot_20230108_154513_Chrome.jpg

Cuz if we don’t win a SB in this window we’re about to go thru a couple years of “but what could we have done with Brock + the talent left on the table from those 2 1st round picks spent to move up.”

I agree with my man Ced, if it was just the Trey pick, **** it, charge it to the game as the cost of a high first, but they sold the farm for the next two years on the bet
Again, you’re assuming those picks would have been guaranteed. What if if we ended up with no Trey, no Brock, and the equivalent of Solomon Thomas and Javon Kinlaw? We don’t draft Lance, we probably end up with Mac Jones or some other QB not named Brock or Lance. Would you be ok then?

I would’ve been totally fine with them drafting Mac Jones with their original draft pick. Hell no to them trading up to draft him though. That was the general consensus on here back in 2021.

He regressed last season. But you can make the case he had the best rookie season out of all the qb’s drafted in that draft. It’s not unrealistic to say he would’ve likely done well with the 49ers roster.

They drafted lance and Brock

They would have drafted Brock even with Mac

Jimmy G was on the way out and the QB room was empty

But that’s besides the point. You’re giving a weird version of the mystery box argument.

The 2 1st round picks were indeed mystery boxes, and it almost sounds like you’re advocating for value of taking the guarantee of nothing over the possibility of a mystery box.

even if they ended up being a solly thomas (who we got a few season rotational dt depth and some improved run game d from) and a kinlaw (who we’ve gotten a couple flashes from) you think it’s higher value just to have nothing?

Agreed a mystery box is mystery box but I’d rather open 2 1st round mystery boxes than say “welp might not have worked out anyway” an leave em on the table

No one is mad about the trey pick. Even I was onboard at the time given the class available. But it was the over pay. Now the fallout of the over pay .

I view the picks more as giving you flexibility and options as opposed to strictly being locked in to draft a guy with them. There’s plenty of first round picks who flop. We all know that

But keeping your picks and accumulating picks gives you more options and can be used to acquire proven talent. If someone suddenly becomes available because their team can’t afford them or they aren’t happy. Those picks give you a seat at the table to trade for them.

First round picks are always going to have value in the NFL and they’ll always be sought after in potential trades. Hell the Colts used one of theirs to trade for Buckner and use the 49ers inability to sign everyone to their advantage.

Don’t get it twisted. I’m not totally opposed to saying F those picks. But if you’re going to say F those picks and leverage all types of draft capital. You gotta turn that into a championship to where it’s worth it.

This argument is getting old.

We can’t say for certain who would have been drafted had we kept the picks. What we can say is we ended up with Lance and Brock in the draft. We can also say that those picks haven’t affected us in competing for a Super Bowl.

What has affected us is injuries. And those injuries are what have derailed Lance’s developmental train on the Niners. That’s not on the team and that’s not on Lance.

Mix in Brock’s emergence and what he did last year, with Lance’s inability to stay healthy in order to develop, and we end up here.

Does is suck for both the team and Lance? Of course. Lance will become a huge what if. But you can’t fault the team for the direction they chose to go now, and you can’t fault Lance for his lack of development.

At the end of the day we enter the season as one of the Super Bowl favorites even with that huge swing that didn’t work out, and that’s the reality I’m focused on because it hasn’t really mattered. I’m happy with Brock and happy the team they have put together.

Lowell Cohn nails it. Shanahan is far from a leader and far from a real coach. He doesn't actually coach up his QB's. He alienates them.

The way Kyle handled the Trey Lance situation is flat out detestable and goes to show why many question not just Shanahan's leadership (or lack thereof), but his character as well.

I say if Kyle doesn't win the Super Bowl this year, kick that arrogant schmuck to the curb. I can just see the jedi spirit of MY HC Bill Walsh spitting on Kyle's overhyped playbook 😂

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom