:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [2-2 vs Cardinals 10/07 1:05PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, let’s throw out a rookie QB who doesn’t understand NFL schemes, has only played in one game in 2 years, has less than 20 starts, has less than 320 pass attempts, and has to master arguably the most complex playbook in the NFL…all because of your hate for Jimmy.

He’s. Not. Ready.

How else is he going to get ready? Is it better for him to learn on the fly in year 2? You are being short sighted on this one, man.

Yes, let’s throw out a rookie QB who doesn’t understand NFL schemes, has only played in one game in 2 years, has less than 20 starts, has less than 320 pass attempts, and has to master arguably the most complex playbook in the NFL…all because of your hate for Jimmy.

He’s. Not. Ready.

Dude can we quit it with this nonsense. Very few of us, if any, hate Jimmy. I certainly dont hate him.

And again, I am not seeing the complexity of this offense the way its currently run. We attack one zone in the passing game. Most of the completions are WIDE open receivers. Why do you and some other people continue to act as if this offense that Jimmy is running cant be replicated? Like I said before, even if Trey isnt quite as good as Jimmy is in certain areas, its pretty obvious he would be an instant improvement in others.

Patrick Mahomes said he didnt know how to read a defense his first year in the league. He threw 50 touchdowns and won the MVP.

Dude can we quit it with this nonsense. Very few of us, if any, hate Jimmy. I certainly dont hate him.

And again, I am not seeing the complexity of this offense the way its currently run. We attack one zone in the passing game. Most of the completions are WIDE open receivers. Why do you and some other people continue to act as if this offense that Jimmy is running cant be replicated? Like I said before, even if Trey isnt quite as good as Jimmy is in certain areas, its pretty obvious he would be an instant improvement in others.

Patrick Mahomes said he didnt know how to read a defense his first year in the league. He threw 50 touchdowns and won the MVP.
After sitting an entire year learning the offense. Mahomes didn’t come in guns blazing from the get go. And he attributes his success to Alex Smith being his predecessor. I want Trey to succeed, I want him to be the heir to the throne, but I’m not willing to get him hurt because he’s going to be a deer in headlights if he’s thrown out there now.

After sitting an entire year learning the offense. Mahomes didn’t come in guns blazing from the get go. And he attributes his success to Alex Smith being his predecessor. I want Trey to succeed, I want him to be the heir to the throne, but I’m not willing to get him hurt because he’s going to be a deer in headlights if he’s thrown out there now.

And he said he had no idea how to read a defense. So he sat an entire season and didnt learn how to read a defense. Dare I say that sitting doesnt help you learn how to read a defense? Id say Mahomes is an example of that.

Do you guys think Marlon Mack will be a player the Niners look into trading for?

Im with 3god 3god . The reasons that people come up with that Jimmy needs to start all season just make no sense:

-"Trey will get ruined"......why? He isnt playing on the Bears with Matt Nagy calling plays. He has enough help that he wouldnt be "ruined"

-"Trey doesnt have a grasp of the playbook"......And Jimmy does? We have attempted a handful of passes downfield all season, and every pass towards the sidelines has been at or near the LOS. Are we seriously going to say that Jimmy runs Kyle's entire playbook?

-"Trey will have growing pains".......Jimmy is having growing pains and he is in his 8th year in the league.

-"The best way to develop a QB is to have him sit a year"......since 2012, 33 quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round. 29 of them have started inside their first 10 games as a pro. If THE best way to develop your rookie QB was to have them sit their rookie year, why do an overwhelming majority of them start early in their rookie year?

Like I said, people can have their own opinions on whether or not they want Trey to start, and they are certainly entitled to it. I just cant help but reply to the BS reasonings as to why they feel the way they do.

They went to the Super Bowl in Kaepernicks second season. Once he took the job after Alex Smith got hurt. He provided dynamics Alex wasn’t capable of and with the 2012 NFC Championship game, was able to come back down 17-0 on the road in a game they likely lose with Alex as qb the second the fell behind two scores.

I’ve often wondered how they would’ve fared if Kap got the starting job at some point during the 2011 instead as a rookie. Because while Alex Smith made some plays in that Saints playoff game. His limitations and deficiencies were on full display in that NFC Championship game against the Giants.

Granted he was a high second round pick. But I wonder how much of a leap he made from sitting during year 1 and finally getting to start in year 2. Like I really wonder how he would’ve played as a rookie in 2011 had he got the starting job at some point that season.

Since 2012
Jordan Love
Joe Burrow
Dwayne Haskins
Josh Rosen
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
EJ Manuel
Brandon Weeden
Daniel Jones
RG3
Blake Bortles
Kyler Murray
Lamar Jackson
Mitch Trubisky
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Teddy Bridgewater
Ryan Tannehill
Johnny Manziel
Baker Mayfield
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Andrew Luck
Deshaun Watson
Patrick Mahomes

There’s at least 15 mediocre QBs on this list and all but one of them played at the FBS level. I’m sure you can figure out where he went to school.

They went to the Super Bowl in Kaepernicks second season. Once he took the job after Alex Smith got hurt. He provided dynamics Alex wasn’t capable of and with the 2012 NFC Championship game, was able to come back down 17-0 on the road in a game they likely lose with Alex as qb the second the fell behind two scores.

I’ve often wondered how they would’ve fared if Kap got the starting job at some point during the 2011 instead as a rookie. Because while Alex Smith made some plays in that Saints playoff game. His limitations and deficiencies were on full display in that NFC Championship game against the Giants.

Granted he was a high second round pick. But I wonder how much of a leap he made from sitting during year 1 and finally getting to start in year 2. Like I really wonder how he would’ve played as a rookie in 2011 had he got the starting job at some point that season.
Kap looked exactly like a typical rookie did and he was dealing with Greg Roman’s basic playbook.

Since 2012
Jordan Love
Joe Burrow
Dwayne Haskins
Josh Rosen
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
EJ Manuel
Brandon Weeden
Daniel Jones
RG3
Blake Bortles
Kyler Murray
Lamar Jackson
Mitch Trubisky
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Teddy Bridgewater
Ryan Tannehill
Johnny Manziel
Baker Mayfield
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Andrew Luck
Deshaun Watson
Patrick Mahomes

There’s at least 15 mediocre QBs on this list and all but one of them played at the FBS level. I’m sure you can figure out where he went to school.

And the only way we found that out was by them PLAYING. Your argument sucks.

Since 2012
Jordan Love
Joe Burrow
Dwayne Haskins
Josh Rosen
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
EJ Manuel
Brandon Weeden
Daniel Jones
RG3
Blake Bortles
Kyler Murray
Lamar Jackson
Mitch Trubisky
Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Teddy Bridgewater
Ryan Tannehill
Johnny Manziel
Baker Mayfield
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Andrew Luck
Deshaun Watson
Patrick Mahomes

The point is not how many turned out mediocre, great, good or even terrible. The point is that if THE best way to develop a highly drafted rookie QB (someone that the franchise has invested a ton in and would do anything to help that QB be successful), then it makes zero sense that almost 100% of them started early in their rookie year. If sitting to learn was the standard and best way to help a young QB out, then every young QB would sit.

Its almost as if individual skill level and system determines success, not how they are handled their rookie year.

Jimmy G in year 8 and he still looking like a deer in headlights when he faces a pass rush. Looking like baby Bambi when the pocket isn’t ideal. Even when he runs it looks like he’s got 2 left feet. Dude still making rookie mistakes in year 8. And this dude sat and watched the GOAT in action for many years. He still ain’t learned ****, he snapped the ball with 12 on the play clock, that **** on him as much as it’s on Kyle.

You cant compare the situation other rookie qbs are with the situation Lance is in. All those other rookie QBs didnt have a legit starter in front of them like the Niners do. In general its better to sit and learn to grasp Shanahan's complex playbook. Matt Ryan didnt feel comfortable until year 2 with Shanahan, and you expect Lance to be as good/better than Jimmy if thrown into the fire? All because you we saw him throw 1 deep pass to Sherfield in a preseason game :lol: Lance should be a better QB than Jimmy in the end, but Jimmy gives the team a better chance to win now. And if Kyle had so much confidence in Lance then we would have already seen Lance in for more plays other than the goal line packages and designated run plays that hes only played in so far.

Last edited:
You cant compare the situation other rookie qbs are with the situation Lance is in. All those other rookie QBs didnt have a legit starter in front of them like the Niners do. In general its better to sit and learn to grasp Shanahan's complex playbook. Matt Ryan didnt feel comfortable until year 2 with Shanahan, and you expect Lance to be as good/better than Jimmy if thrown into the fire? All because you we saw him throw 1 deep pass to Sherfield in a preseason game :lol: Lance should be a better QB than Jimmy in the end, but Jimmy gives the team a better chance to win now. And if Kyle had so much confidence in Lance then he would put in Lance in for more plays other than the goal line packages and designated run plays that he only has played in so far.

Sorry, but this is another excuse that is irrelevant to me. When teams draft a QB in the first round, they are drafting the future face of their franchise and a player that they invested a ton in to lead their team. If the absolute best way to develop their future face of the franchise is to sit a year, it wouldnt matter who else they have on their team. They would bring in a bridge to start, and not risk developing their future in a less than ideal way.

It is completely illogical for a franchise to KNOW that sitting their future for a year was THE best way to develop a QB, AND THEN decide not to do that because they dont have anyone else to start. They would do anything and everything to ensure their investment pays off.

Back
Top Bottom