:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

anyway to clean the netting on the Cement IV? mine are yellow and want them REALLY white again

not possible?

anyway to clean the netting on the Cement IV? mine are yellow and want them REALLY white again

not possible?
RIT fabric whitener and brightener. Buy the powder. 

Turn it into a paste with a bit of water, then brush it into the netting from both sides. The outside, and from the inside of the shoe. Wash it out, be thorough. If you aren't thorough you will have yellow paste all over the netting. 

Repeat this until netting is completely white.

not possible?

I don't understand how everyone's netting has already yellowed..

It depends on how much you wear them, how long you wear them, and where you wear them.

If you love in a humid or rainy area, they yellow fast. If your feet sweat, which would happen after 6+ hourse of wear, then they yellow fast. If you do it often that just adds to it.

So I watched the video and am wondering what you use to clean to icy outsoles like the 5's after you wear them and before you put the armor all protectant wipes on them. Do you use a cleaner on the outsole or water and toothbrush on icy soles, because you say you clean them and then put the armor all on. Also would the armor all cleaning wipes work for cleaning them after wear and then use the armorall protectant wipes? Thanks for the video
First off...thanks everyone for the positive feedback on the video. I thought it would be good to do a follow up. 

@Raider - Yes, I use a cleaner on the midsole and outsole (the bottom of the shoe). I use the shoe cleaner that I got from Shoe Palace. The same stuff you would use on smooth and tumbled leather.  I spray it on, wait a few seconds, then brush it REALLY good with a tooth brush or the bristle cap that comes with the cleaner. Then I hold the shoe sideways and CAREFULLY rinse off the cleaner. Then I wipe the soles down really hard with that huge towel. I blow hard into the tread pattern to get the water to come out more, and wipe it down again. I wipe it really really good. If there is any dirt still I repeat the process. Then I get the armorall wipes and wipe down the midsole, and then I wipe down the outsole. If it's an icy bottom like those 5s...I really wipe the bottom down good. I wait like 5 more minutes, then I wipe down the midsole and outsole, working the armorall into the materials while simultaneously removing the excess. I wouldn't use armorall cleaning wipes because I think you'll get better results using regular shoe cleaner.

Last edited:
Great follow up.  I started using the armor all method after watching your first video.  So far its worked very well on my icy soles and plastic netting.  It does a really good job of repelling dirt.
I agree...I honestly didn't expect it to repel dirt so well. I knew it made the midsoles and outsoles look amazing, but I didn't expect the protection it gave. The netting on my 5s look sooooo much better than without anything on it. I'm convinced that I can slow the yellowing down process of soles and plastics dramatically by using the armorall method coupled with ziploc bagging.

NO! Don't do that!

Black toe 13s are tumbled leather, ironing out the creases on tumbled leather shoes removes the texture. Making it smooth leather.
True!!

This might sound like a dumb question,  but is there any way I can take out those creases from those He Got Game 13s without jepordizing the texture of the tumbled leather?

ALSO

How many of you guys rock wearable shoe trees?

NO! Don't do that!

Black toe 13s are tumbled leather, ironing out the creases on tumbled leather shoes removes the texture. Making it smooth leather.
Grand Canyons versus Smooth Leather?

How far away do you have to tell its been smoothed out... And how far away would you have to be to tell you have a taco chillin on your toeboxes??

Last edited:
Finally got done restoring my Forest Green XIV's... Thank you all for your help. Tell me what you guys think...

Before.....

After....

I purposely left the yellowing on the heel tab to give them that OG look....
Once again thanks for your help...
Laney V pics coming soon..

Last edited:
Finally got done restoring my Forest Green XIV's... Thank you all for your help. Tell me what you guys think...

Before.....

After....

I purposely left the yellowing on the heel tab to give them that OG look....
Once again thanks for your help...
Laney V pics coming soon..
Impressive sir, superb job

NO! Don't do that!

Grand Canyons versus Smooth Leather?

How far away do you have to tell its been smoothed out... And how far away would you have to be to tell you have a taco chillin on your toeboxes??
When you remove the texture from the leather, nobody is going to be looking hard enough to care. But to the wearer, it looks fugazi 
mean.gif

NO! Don't do that!

True!!

This might sound like a dumb question,  but is there any way I can take out those creases from those He Got Game 13s without jepordizing the texture of the tumbled leather?

ALSO

How many of you guys rock wearable shoe trees?
 A fabric steamer should do you some good.
^^^ Good catch thanks....
Real nice work man

I'm a HUGE advocate of wearable shoe trees. I never wear my J's without them. Check out my video on page 228 and you'll see how well they work. All those shoes have over 10 wears in them, no creases. I know it sounds crazy, but I like the way they feel now.

I'm a HUGE advocate of wearable shoe trees. I never wear my J's without them. Check out my video on page 228 and you'll see how well they work. All those shoes have over 10 wears in them, no creases. I know it sounds crazy, but I like the way they feel now.
thanks fam, much appreciated, just saw your vid, good stuff my dude

Ive got these 09 Space jams and these 06 Black 5s that are in great condition, but have yellow soles

Judging by my pics, what you think would be best to use to give these some life again?

The 11s aren't even that bad, and the 5s are fine. The 5s I wouldn't even mess with yet. For the 11s, just hit em with that retrobrite. There are tons of videos on youtube that will show you how to do it. Just make sure you wrap your soles up with seran wrap after applying the retrobrite or else it will dry up too fast during your outdoor session in the sun. It won't make the soles look like new, but a lot of the yellowing will disappear. I love this thread...people actually helping each other out.

The 11s aren't even that bad, and the 5s are fine. The 5s I wouldn't even mess with yet. For the 11s, just hit em with that retrobrite. There are tons of videos on youtube that will show you how to do it. Just make sure you wrap your soles up with seran wrap after applying the retrobrite or else it will dry up too fast during your outdoor session in the sun. It won't make the soles look like new, but a lot of the yellowing will disappear. I love this thread...people actually helping each other out.
what about sea glow? I havent peeped the maintenance thread in AGES, so I am a complete newb to this stuff

Thanks again for the quick replies, nuff love from Toronto, Canada

what about sea glow? I havent peeped the maintenance thread in AGES, so I am a complete newb to this stuff

Thanks again for the quick replies, nuff love from Toronto, Canada

Retrobright literally costs like 5 bucks to make and you can make alot of it with that 5 bucks.Sea gow costs like 15 for a little bottle.

I've been eyeing this thread for a minute now and wanted to try restoring some of my 13s.  I recently just won these off of ebay...I decided to use the plus whitening gel method on the pods...and it's going on about 4 days now. I see a drastic change but I think that's as best as it's going to get as far as getting them white again.  Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I bought the anti creasers from champs and they have that sticky part so its not really reusable, how much better do trees work then the champs one?

I bought the anti creasers from champs and they have that sticky part so its not really reusable, how much better do trees work then the champs one?
Shoe trees are plastic and i believe the ones you bought from champs are some soft material. Shoe trees will last you longer and they're also reusable unlike the ones from champs. I personally believe shoe trees are a good investment

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom