:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

FDB29611-81F0-4E4F-B5EB-ACA3BF589E5D.jpeg
Picked up some Cool Greys as a project, can anything be done with this scratched patent leather? Paint over and clear coat perhaps?

nope, will look terrible no matter what you do. that shoe is toast but if you want to give it a try. High grit sand paper to smooth it out (start at 1500 and go up). Then use a leather filler kit to smooth out everything (amazon), you will then need to paint match and hit it with a crystal clear finisher but i doubt it will ever look like it did to begin with. patent leather is a pain to work with, I do a ton of repair and refuse to work on it as I've never been happy with the results. If i can't get it back to 90% of what it was then it's not worth it to me, the amount of time you are going to spend to fix them also could have been used to make enough to buy a pair in better condition. Sorry bro but good luck if you do try.

I can’t find how to search this thread but I’d like to find someone to sole swap a pair of 1999 jordan 4’s for me. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm going to have my 99 IVs done at some point, and I'm pretty sure I'm going with him. Got them the morning they released in 99, and want to make sure they are done right.
Just bought a pair of flight 89’s I’m going to try to swap over to a beater pair of 99’s, hopefully it goes well and i’ll do my other 2 pair.

1. Got a nasty scuff on my White Cement 5s. I wanna try fixing it myself with Angelus paint, but I’ve never tried it before. Which specific white is the right match for this pair?

What's the best method for painting midsoles so they last?

I'm going to customize a pair of Air Max Plus and don't want them to flake and crack.

I recall something about thinning the paint to make it more flexible? Any tips?

I'm going to customize a pair of Air Max Plus and don't want them to flake and crack.

Just make sure you strip all original paint off and use Angelus brand and you should be good.

So in selling my collection, I’m finding kicks that I loved, didn’t remember I had and some that I can’t believe I copped. Been a cool walk down memory lane. Anyway, dug these 2001 concords up. Any Hope restoring these to be wearable? Appreciate the input. Help ya boy out...

17890633-A0CB-4078-BAFC-608D195FAA63.jpeg

E06E602E-B934-445F-B880-F025E90BBC6F.jpeg

1. Got a nasty scuff on my White Cement 5s. I wanna try fixing it myself with Angelus paint, but I’ve never tried it before. Which specific white is the right match for this pair?
did you try isopropyl alcohol and qtips or hand sanitizer on the scuff first? don't use acetone as it's too strong for what you are trying to do. If it can't be removed that way (hard to give advice without pics) then yes paint, you can either use angelus white paint with duller or flat white.

No problems using just angelus paint, never had to thin it as it's already thin (unless you are going to airbrush and that's a whole other setup, give me more details). The issue is people throw way too much on at a time and wonder why the paint cracks and doesn't last. 10 layers of thin coats for your base and if there is a secondary color then start with it after those first 10 coats. your first coat after stripping should be very streaky and not cover the midsole with much pigment, after about 5 layers you will have what looks like complete coverage but continue on till you hit 10. make sure you use a finisher as well.

Last edited:
So in selling my collection, I’m finding kicks that I loved, didn’t remember I had and some that I can’t believe I copped. Been a cool walk down memory lane. Anyway, dug these 2001 concords up. Any Hope restoring these to be wearable? Appreciate the input. Help ya boy out...

barge to reglue, they need a good cleaning (reshoevn8r, crep, whatever you want in a high end cleaner, would suggest reshoevn8r laundry detergent for the upper as well) and use isopropyl to remove those scuffs on the patent leather and a full midsole repaint. probably going to be 2-300 for someone to fix them, it's almost a complete rebuild from the pics.

barge to reglue, they need a good cleaning (reshoevn8r, crep, whatever you want in a high end cleaner, would suggest reshoevn8r laundry detergent for the upper as well) and use isopropyl to remove those scuffs on the patent leather and a full midsole repaint. probably going to be 2-300 for someone to fix them, it's almost a complete rebuild from the pics.

jaybarbour jaybarbour always seem to come thru for your fellow NTers. I'll take what you laid out in addition to some YouTube vids and see how it goes. Any recommendation on YouTubers that specialize in restoration? It'll be a slow process since my time is pretty limited these days, but I'll post pics if they turn out decent. Thanks, brotha.

jaybarbour jaybarbour always seem to come thru for your fellow NTers. I'll take what you laid out in addition to some YouTube vids and see how it goes. Any recommendation on YouTubers that specialize in restoration? It'll be a slow process since my time is pretty limited these days, but I'll post pics if they turn out decent. Thanks, brotha.
There is a bunch and they will give you a general idea of what needs to be done and how to do it but they lack a lot of the detail work. I see a lot of people screw up the taping and end up with paint bleed everywhere. practice makes perfect, once you do a few hundred shoes you will get a lot better lol

Thanks Jay. Nah, no air brush. Just planning on adding some contrast paneling to an all white AMP midsole.

Is there any particular masking tape you recommend to prevent bleeding since I won't be painting the entire midsole?

Thanks Jay. Nah, no air brush. Just planning on adding some contrast paneling to an all white AMP midsole.

Is there any particular masking tape you recommend to prevent bleeding since I won't be painting the entire midsole?
I bulk buy cheap masking tape on amazon, it's more about making sure that the tape has been applied with the correct pressure so that it's smooth against the surface, going over it with your thumbnail or a smooth kind of round small metal object will make sure it's adhered properly. be sure to go over the areas where your tape overlaps as well a few times. when painting try to push the paint away from the tape and not into it as well. also flex the shoe by squeezing it as you are painting to make sure all gaps/top areas etc are covered. I use shoe trees as well to stretch things out and will take them in and out while painting to hit certain spots that show when flexed as needed.

Jaybarbour, do you do midsole swaps?
Yes prices are the same as most other places, I do everything in general with Jordans. I don't do customs though, way too much of a headache when the person doesn't like how it turns out compared to the idea in their head/paper. No idea what the rules are for self promotion so I don't want to violate them.....I'm all about trying to teach other people if I can. PM me if you want advice directly on how to do something.

So the side of my BC3 on the right foot has some black marks from the brake and gas pedal when I drive my car.

Any ideas on how to remove those marks?

So the side of my BC3 on the right foot has some black marks from the brake and gas pedal when I drive my car.

Try hand sanitizer so that you don't ruin the finish. Apply some to a qtip and see if it removes it. Avoid acetone as it's too harsh.

Yes prices are the same as most other places, I do everything in general with Jordans. I don't do customs though, way too much of a headache when the person doesn't like how it turns out compared to the idea in their head/paper. No idea what the rules are for self promotion so I don't want to violate them.....I'm all about trying to teach other people if I can. PM me if you want advice directly on how to do something.
Appreciate your reply, as you can see up above I’m going to give it a try on my beater pair of 99’s but if it doesn’t work out i’ll pm you on my NDS pair.

I have the exact same black marks. Right on the white midsole on the medial side of right shoe. I just used a shoe cleaning block to rub off the marks. Didn't mess up the paint, but the constant rubbing against the gas/break pedals already made scratches on the midsole, so it isn't buttery smooth anymore. Oh well that cant be avoided unless you wanna have another pair of driving shoes but who wants to do that lol

nope, will look terrible no matter what you do. that shoe is toast but if you want to give it a try. High grit sand paper to smooth it out (start at 1500 and go up). Then use a leather filler kit to smooth out everything (amazon), you will then need to paint match and hit it with a crystal clear finisher but i doubt it will ever look like it did to begin with. patent leather is a pain to work with, I do a ton of repair and refuse to work on it as I've never been happy with the results. If i can't get it back to 90% of what it was then it's not worth it to me, the amount of time you are going to spend to fix them also could have been used to make enough to buy a pair in better condition. Sorry bro but good luck if you do try.
Any suggestions for the paint combination?

Any suggestions for the paint combination?
angelus grey and spot test it then move to mixing grey with white till you get it right. look on youtube for videos on how to mix acrylic to match. i really don't think it's worth it though, if you look at most of the people who do repairs their websites will usually say no patent leather repair.

Back
Top Bottom