:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I've been using Salon Care 50 in the sun and with UV lights and It works well, you just have to be patient.

Do some states not let you buy Salon Care 50 and 40 without a license? Here in Texas you can buy it from any beauty supply store.

Ya I heard some states require it but I mean I've seen people sell some great sauces that work even better than Salon Care. Only a few though cause a lot of other brands obviously use salon care as well with a few added things. I've seen someone super ice some spacejams in under 8hours.

Ya I heard some states require it but I mean I've seen people sell some great sauces that work even better than Salon Care. Only a few though cause a lot of other brands obviously use salon care as well with a few added things. I've seen someone super ice some spacejams in under 8hours.
How much are these sauces ?
Salon 40 is $4.59 and Salon 50 is a little more. Both of the bottles are huge too, they're both 32oz.

20200803_173641_resize_10.jpg

I'm restoring Chicago 1's from 2015. I'm trying color match the red I'm assuming its the Varsity red from Angelus. I saw some videos were they used a combinations of different reds. Anybody has experience restoring Chicago's?

Durabuck, nubuck and suede can all crack and wear like that over time if not properly maintained. They will dry and rot out eventually if never conditioned. Any suede conditioner with a decent rating on amazon will help prevent this from happening. Once it cracks like that there isn't a good option to repair that wont be noticeable, sucks.
From the pics it doesnt look like nubuck/suede - so I assumed it was durabuck, especially from the damage (i.e. it peeling off like that) . Suede/Nubuck usually isnt a thin layer or coating or bubble up/ peel off like that..Id suspect a synthetic nubuck which would follow the same properties as Durabuck (synthetic leathers and suede)

Luckily real Suede and Nubuck lasts alot longer but just like homie said above, Leathers (suede, nubuck, full grain) are living materials ans can rot/good bad. But they dont peel like film like that. And you should condition your leathers from drying out but from experience once sythentics crack there is no fix. The whole thing is bound to crack.

I have discovered a temp fix to keep then from getting worse (but its not practical and wears off too quickly- maybe one wear at best), but am working on a long term one.

Real materials are so much easier to work with, fix, and mantain but then we fall into JB plot line. They want the shoes to fall apart so we buy them again in 5/6 years while at the same token they save money from using cheaper materials. And caring for sythentics as if they are real materials still produces the same end result (just a waste of effort and time, really).

That same issue you got , I have gotten on my durabuck and "sythetic suede" shoes in the past. Suede will crack like that as well but its rare (depending on the quality of suede of course). Nubuck and grained leathers are suspectible to rot and mold. So you gotta keep them either in a dry enviroment or a properly humidity controlled environment (i.e. storage, humidifiers, etc).

Either way, Rock them as a your beaters now. What happened, is normal. Its what will happen , just a matter of time. And that time is what we are all trying to manipulated, i.e. the purpose of this entire thread. Sometimes that time can be longer or shorter depending on (how well you take carw of your shoes, your environment, and the actual shoe in question). Now that youve seen this, it is bound to get worse. Given they are from 2011, they are reaching the end of their lifespan anyhow. Id be more worried about the midsole at this stage.

If anybody is reading this and you have alot of shoes, I would be checking al your shoes every few months, pulling them out of their boxes, bags or however you storing them, inspecting them, and doing maintenance wears. Issues are easier to catch in their earlier stages and avoid as opposed to fix/repair.

I gotta dig this up because I’m glad I read it. Man **** durabuck. Dura my ***. Is there a way we can easily and quickly look up a particular model and color way Jordan and see FOR SURE what type of material the upper is made with?? I’ve already read my fair share of disagreements in the archives here on NT. I want a for sure way to look it up. Do we need to make a wiki page?

But the main thing is what Exact products to use to stave off the eventual deterioration and/or cracking of durabuck/suede/nubuck??

I gotta dig this up because I’m glad I read it. Man **** durabuck. Dura my ***. Is there a way we can easily and quickly look up a particular model and color way Jordan and see FOR SURE what type of material the upper is made with?? I’ve already read my fair share of disagreements in the archives here on NT. I want a for sure way to look it up. Do we need to make a wiki page?

But the main thing is what Exact products to use to stave off the eventual deterioration and/or cracking of durabuck/suede/nubuck??
The old Nike catalogs from the 90s would list the materials and so would Eastbay all the way up until the 2000s.

Look back a page or two in this thread where we talk about the 23 fix like 23fix.com is one but there are others not sure which is best. They will usually have a 45 fix also not just the 23.

How did that happen??
Washing machine, idk why it was just the left shoe

Washing machine, idk why it was just the left shoe
Damn that’s crazy I know a lot of people say don’t use the washing machine but concords usually come out fine. How exactly did you wash them? Cold water and in a pillow case? What detergent? If you don’t mind sharing because I’m not against using the washing machine for certain shoes.

I’m confused why it only happened to the left shoe. Wtf.

EDIT: I’ve changed my stance on using the washing machine even with taking the protective measures that I do, going forward I will never recommend using the washing machine. Yeah after this 45 ****up And who knows how many other problems.

Last edited:
Damn that’s crazy I know a lot of people say don’t use the washing machine but concords usually come out fine. How exactly did you wash them? Cold water and in a pillow case? What detergent? If you don’t mind sharing because I’m not against using the washing machine for certain shoes.

I’m confused why it only happened to the left shoe. Wtf.
Yes I've used Oxi clean and inside pillow case. They usually come out fine but Idk what happened to the most recent wash. But no big deal. If anyone else can help me how to fix these thank you!

Yeah curious what other options there are. Before I found out about the iron on fixes I thought about using detail brushes and Angelus paint and paint over it or the best option to scrub the 45 off completely and use a 3D printed stencil to paint it back on. I need a 3D printer.

20200816_103527.jpg

The picture in the last post was like a top layer of patent leather. I peeled it off and now they look fine. The bottom layer is slightly duller. These are the 2000 Concords btw.

Hey bro do you know why it’s so difficult to deoxidize the netting on Jordan 5s? The soles are a lot easier. So I have some questions for you and EVERYONE HERE! Regarding unyellowing or deoxidizing the netting on Jordan 5s. The trickiest being the black metallic 5s because of the black material underneath the netting.

1. Worst case scenario. Black metallic 5s have really bad yellowing on the netting. And you want them as icy as possible. What do you do? Replace the netting?

2. Black metallic 5s are only slightly yellowed. For some reason it’s a lot harder to unyellow than the soles. What do you do? How do you not mess with the black fabric underneath? Is the best option to replace the netting entirely?

3. Fire red 5s have slightly yellowed netting. Do you try to ice them? What about the material underneath the netting? If the material underneath the netting is white then you obviously don’t want to mess with it. But if it’s yellowed then what? How would you get to it? I’m trying to figure this all out before I start messing with my 5s.

4. How to protect and maintain clear netting from turning yellow. Will rain and stain repellent spray help or hurt?

Seems like replacing the netting is the best way to go so far but that is obviously way more costly.

Hey bro do you know why it’s so difficult to deoxidize the netting on Jordan 5s? The soles are a lot easier. So I have some questions for you and EVERYONE HERE! Regarding unyellowing or deoxidizing the netting on Jordan 5s. The trickiest being the black metallic 5s because of the black material underneath the netting.

1. Worst case scenario. Black metallic 5s have really bad yellowing on the netting. And you want them as icy as possible. What do you do? Replace the netting?

2. Black metallic 5s are only slightly yellowed. For some reason it’s a lot harder to unyellow than the soles. What do you do? How do you not mess with the black fabric underneath? Is the best option to replace the netting entirely?

3. Fire red 5s have slightly yellowed netting. Do you try to ice them? What about the material underneath the netting? If the material underneath the netting is white then you obviously don’t want to mess with it. But if it’s yellowed then what? How would you get to it? I’m trying to figure this all out before I start messing with my 5s.

4. How to protect and maintain clear netting from turning yellow. Will rain and stain repellent spray help or hurt?

Seems like replacing the netting is the best way to go so far but that is obviously way more costly.
I've seen transplants (cutting out from donors and replacing) and painting them a whiteish color. (This would not work with the black 5s)

I've seen transplants (cutting out from donors and replacing) and painting them a whiteish color. (This would not work with the black 5s)
Yeah I know exactly what to do for the 4s with white netting and that’s paint it white. I have the paint and matte finisher and brushes and airbrush even lol. My post was all about the clear netting 5s. It’s the clear netting that’s the question. Preventing and reversing oxidation on all clear netting on 5s is what I’m trying to research now. Anything to point me in a direction is appreciated.

Last edited:
Yeah I know exactly what to do for the 4s with white netting and that’s paint it white. I have the paint and matte finisher and brushes and airbrush even lol. My post was all about the clear netting 5s. It’s the clear netting that’s the question. Preventing and reversing oxidation on all clear netting on 5s is what I’m trying to research now. Anything to point me in a direction is appreciated.

This is what I was referring to, using white paint on clear netting. It may not look original but it looks clean.

This is what I was referring to, using white paint on clear netting. It may not look original but it looks clean.

Ah I never thought to do that. I actually started watching that video the other day lol

Good tip I might actually do that!!! For my own shoes. And for the black Metallics maybe paint the netting silver. Thank you I thought you totally misunderstood my post lol and I’ve never seen anyone paint the clear netting or even heard of it. I’m new to this restoration thing and just came back to shoes after 15 years so I have a lot to learn. I’m loving this idea though.

Honestly never tried unyellowing the nets. I thought about it but wasn't too sure either. Have you tried deoxidizing them? When I asked the homie he said that he was afraid to try it as well because the salon care could mess up the material around the netting or even underneath the netting. So prep work would be crucial trying to unyellow the nets. Wish I had some 5s I can just experiment with lol.

But ya all I've seen is people repainting the nets with either an airbrush or by hand which is extremely tedious.

Back
Top Bottom