:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Not sure if this is the right place, but the wings snapped on my 06 military blue 4s. Right at the end where the eyelet part meets the 2 arms of the wing, if that makes any sense. Any ideas regarding the best way to fix this? Or are they just dead now?

Not sure if this is the right place, but the wings snapped on my 06 military blue 4s. Right at the end where the eyelet part meets the 2 arms of the wing, if that makes any sense. Any ideas regarding the best way to fix this? Or are they just dead now?
You could sew on new wings but most time it's not worth it since that's a major repair. You could try glue or tape, but you can't lace the wings up anymore.

You could sew on new wings but most time it's not worth it since that's a major repair. You could try glue or tape, but you can't lace the wings up anymore.
Can imagine 4s are a ***** restoration wise exactly because of this. That and the bottoms are also sewn on at the nose and i guess the midsole rubber crumbles with ease?
Have only owned two pairs thus far with the oldest being the 2012s, havent had a problem just yet but shall see soon enough. Theyre potentially one of the few id rather chuck and hope for another retro down the line. Thing that sucks however is one shot cws and bogus resell prices.

Can imagine 4s are a ***** restoration wise exactly because of this. That and the bottoms are also sewn on at the nose and i guess the midsole rubber crumbles with ease?
Have only owned two pairs thus far with the oldest being the 2012s, havent had a problem just yet but shall see soon enough. Theyre potentially one of the few id rather chuck and hope for another retro down the line. Thing that sucks however is one shot cws and bogus resell prices.

Problem lies that when you have to sew due to materials falling apart.. odds are through the repair , you risk having to replace more items due to the materials bring brittle or finding more to replace as you start working.

Although the plastic wings on the 4s will break it doesn't mean the shoes haven't already started breaking down.

I'm a big believer in if you are going to do things, then do them right so you don't have to repeat the process. So replacing one wing, means replacing all of them. Sewing is the boundary I define as a major repair.

The wings on 4s, and the plastic heel on 3s are notorious for being a pain. You could carefully piece it together with glue, but you run alot of risk of things not looking right or messing something up badly.

You can restore 4 and 3s. But on 4s if you notice on alot of restorations, they purposefully don't lace up the wings anymore due to them being prone at that point to breaking off.

As far as to shoes that last the test of time. Stick to 1s, His, Lows, Mids, and SBs.

Foam crumbling is a pain. But it's a pain alot of people will handle - given the restoration and resell value at hand.

Hi is this toe box considered badly damaged?
i can probably sand down the leather and repaint but i havent done stitching before. Stitching definitely needs redone

Attachments

• FAC2809C-2FB5-4112-9AA9-5E74C32A27B8.jpeg
    FAC2809C-2FB5-4112-9AA9-5E74C32A27B8.jpeg
    718.5 KB · Views: 620
Hi is this toe box considered badly damaged?
i can probably sand down the leather and repaint but i havent done stitching before. Stitching definitely needs redone
Could always run it past a cobbler for restitching.
May not look 100% accurate but itll be damn close clean in finish and definitely wearable.

Does anyone have a method to reverse this oxidation to make it black again? This is the 2018 version BTW.

Attachments

• 38243A61-EEC3-4D26-84BC-69E022B12F0B.jpeg
    38243A61-EEC3-4D26-84BC-69E022B12F0B.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 533
cant really do anything about this???
2012s ah?
Currently running a little maintenance on mine to keep em going a little longer but unfortunately dont see anyway to fix that up.
Does anyone have a method to reverse this oxidation to make it black again? This is the 2018 version BTW.
Have you tried hitting it with some UV protectant?
Hit Amazon and grab a bottle of Sonax Rubber Protectant. Stuff is really good at getting that nice rich luster back on rubber/plastic trim and only takes a little.

2012s ah?
Currently running a little maintenance on mine to keep em going a little longer but unfortunately dont see anyway to fix that up.

Hit Amazon and grab a bottle of Sonax Rubber Protectant. Stuff is really good at getting that nice rich luster back on rubber/plastic trim and only takes a little.
I will give this a try. Thank you!

2012s ah?

when i look where the plastic is coming out, looks like i can reglue and it might be ok. going to wait till i try to re glue. amazing job on your clean!

when i look where the plastic is coming out, looks like i can reglue and it might be ok. going to wait till i try to re glue. amazing job on your clean!
Thank you, i know 2012s arent everyones favorite because they dont have the Nike Air to the rear but hey im happy to have them in the collection so figured id do what i typically do to keep em going as long as possible after seeing your post.
Yes i mean you could always just glue it and itll look fine, only thing is id maybe go under the wing vs lacing through the holes.
Then again however lets say you have some Barge onhand or some other quality adhesive, its strong enough to hold soles on so couldnt see it having an issue holding with lacing as well.

i have a personal pair or jordan 3 white cement from 20111 that i wear almost everyday. the paint is chipping and there is little separation. should i reglue and keep it moving or sole swap it? there is not crumbling, just wanted to know if i should sole swap since it is so old

i have a personal pair or jordan 3 white cement from 20111 that i wear almost everyday. the paint is chipping and there is little separation. should i reglue and keep it moving or sole swap it? there is not crumbling, just wanted to know if i should sole swap since it is so old
Considering they have use which is a good thing for longevity id say the soles ought be good to go.
Typically once pairs onhand hit the 10yr mark i like to strip the shoe completely run some rubber restoration upper soak replace or substitute airbags if need be touch up any paint along with clear coat and reglue.
In other words the works if they happen to be a pair i really like but a simple reglue in your case should be good for atleast another 5yrs prior to having any sort of major issue to warrant a full swap. If you do however realize those older i believe 10s and below still use that **** that crumbles for midsoles so even a swapped sole has a shelf life of sorts if that makes sense.

Considering they have use which is a good thing for longevity id say the soles ought be good to go.
Typically once pairs onhand hit the 10yr mark i like to strip the shoe completely run some rubber restoration upper soak replace or substitute airbags if need be touch up any paint along with clear coat and reglue.
In other words the works if they happen to be a pair i really like but a simple reglue in your case should be good for atleast another 5yrs prior to having any sort of major issue to warrant a full swap. If you do however realize those older i believe 10s and below still use that **** that crumbles for midsoles so even a swapped sole has a shelf life of sorts if that makes sense.
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom