OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

2018 was real bad. I don't think many new RH type investors know what to do when they see prolonged levels of red. 2020 was unusual too. 2020 made it look easy.
-----
For those doing 401k contributions, do you change the %s often? I'm doing some sp500/sp4000/Russell 2000/ us reit with a varying percentage for each that I don't generally change but once a year. I'm just wondering if I should be changing this weekly and follow as these go up/down; and if it's even worth transferring funds and rebalancing it? I know they have a warning about doing this too frequently in regards to transferring between funds but the percentage changes could be changed daily if you wanted. Just wondering if I could be more efficient than a set it and forget it. It's not a lot of money so I tend not to worry about daily or weekly or Monthly changes.

For me as long as I am outpacing inflation since inception I am good. IDC about relative returns at all. Down years are whatever to me either, I was down big in 2018 and it didn't phase me at all. Compounding will take care of the rest along with steady contributions.

To me what matters more is trying to get all my friends and family involved in this, I know that I am lucky to have the knowledge base that I do and the lack of fear concerning the market.
Been trying to put my friends onto the stocks I found the most interesting for the past year, send them the articles I thought were good, explained my thesis, 99% of the time I hear crickets in the group chat. Was pounding the table on roku and pins and no one even went into reading the dd I shared. Smh. Kept telling one of my friends sometimes you need to sell stocks that aren’t growing for the future companies doing well. Nope. Dude sat there with delta and xom. Can’t help those who don’t want help. Now I’m big on TDOC, I’m sure I’ll hear from them when it hits $500.

Been trying to put my friends onto the stocks I found the most interesting for the past year, send them the articles I thought were good, explained my thesis, 99% of the time I hear crickets in the group chat. Was pounding the table on roku and pins and no one even went into reading the dd I shared. Smh. Kept telling one of my friends sometimes you need to sell stocks that aren’t growing for the future companies doing well. Nope. Dude sat there with delta and xom. Can’t help those who don’t want help. Now I’m big on TDOC, I’m sure I’ll hear from them when it hits $500.

Long TDOC gang

2018 was real bad. I don't think many new RH type investors know what to do when they see prolonged levels of red. 2020 was unusual too. 2020 made it look easy.
-----
For those doing 401k contributions, do you change the %s often? I'm doing some sp500/sp4000/Russell 2000/ us reit with a varying percentage for each that I don't generally change but once a year. I'm just wondering if I should be changing this weekly and follow as these go up/down; and if it's even worth transferring funds and rebalancing it? I know they have a warning about doing this too frequently in regards to transferring between funds but the percentage changes could be changed daily if you wanted. Just wondering if I could be more efficient than a set it and forget it. It's not a lot of money so I tend not to worry about daily or weekly or Monthly changes.

I feel like were at a point where we have too many bulls to see prolonged levels of red with all these new RH investors

For me as long as I am outpacing inflation since inception I am good. IDC about relative returns at all. Down years are whatever to me either, I was down big in 2018 and it didn't phase me at all. Compounding will take care of the rest along with steady contributions.

To me what matters more is trying to get all my friends and family involved in this, I know that I am lucky to have the knowledge base that I do and the lack of fear concerning the market.
I think the reason why many are afraid is, they hear the horror stories of people losing large amounts of money (doing stupid things fueled by greed) and instantly get turned off. Was chopping it up with a co-worker who I haven't see in almost a year due to the pandemic. He was trading, so I asked him how he worked out for year and dude was like "I'm done with this ****. I lost a lot of money." I'm like how? He was trading all kinds of garbage stocks(some of which he hit big on) and finally they wiped him out. Another example would be an extended family member was doing well, read up on options, and felt that it was q quicker way to make more money and wiped himself out. Yes, there is risk in the market, but plenty of times, people lose taking plenty of unnecessary risks all because of greed.

I am in on TDOC tomorrow once my Roth contribution hits. The whole max contribution is going into it and I'll look to build some in my PA later.

My boys only come to me to verify stuff, they have their own ideas and I'm cool with it. As long as their interested and doing the due diligence that's all I need to see. I do try and tell them to stay away from options but that's my personal thing, If you really have conviction like that just go long the stock but that's just me. I never suggest I just post my picks and if people want ask questions then I am all for it. I never want to be "responsible" for what happens.

I think the reason why many are afraid is, they hear the horror stories of people losing large amounts of money (doing stupid things fueled by greed) and instantly get turned off. Was chopping it up with a co-worker who I haven't see in almost a year due to the pandemic. He was trading, so I asked him how he worked out for year and dude was like "I'm done with this ****. I lost a lot of money." I'm like how? He was trading all kinds of garbage stocks(some of which he hit big on) and finally they wiped him out. Another example would be an extended family member was doing well, read up on options, and felt that it was q quicker way to make more money and wiped himself out. Yes, there is risk in the market, but plenty of times, people lose taking plenty of unnecessary risks all because of greed.
The media doesn't help either, it's all fear-mongering. But you're spot on. I try to compare it to sports gambling on a very baseline level to grab people's ears which usually works.

I do dislike how the pandemic has caused so many people to skip steps though. We went from start off to SPY to back to the cowboy era of the 90s people just flipping stuff around and people who only post their winners on IG creating a false sense of confidence.

regret not building on tdoc when it was in that 180-200 range for awhile
I capitulated and sold my position out at 185 for a loss. When you realize you’re wrong, you gotta be wrong and quickly fix the mistake. Price anchoring will cost you in the long run. I price anchored on PSNL in the high 30s low 40s because it was in the low 30s the previous week. Now look where it is.

I’m probably going to add again to my position any weak openings to the 250s just to grab another 5 or 10 shares. We’ll see. I don’t want to deplete my cash but we’ll see.

I don't know where I belong in this thread. I've been following for months...I've jumped on a few calls and sold after some decent gains. I don't have the time or insight to think PINS can go to $70 when I initially got in at $15 and sold puts at those strikes.

Years ago I did well on the first weed craze (wolf of weed st).....at the time I was playing poker for a living.....I've seen pump and dumps and took advantage....now I see them and can't find the energy to be involved at all. I think back then I just had nothing to lose so it was what it was.

Now I have a great job...maxing out 401k(Target Fund)/Roth IRA(VTSAX)/HSA........I can't help but index....I don't want to pretend I know anything...In the last year I've lost buying puts before things started to take off and since then I've been selling puts on various things. Nothing scares me more than to get stuck with shares of a stock I have no interest or conviction in though.

I think the smartest thing for me is consolidating into my brokerage and just selling 2 SPY puts at different strikes and either collecting premium or taking assignment at those prices. I've finally built up some extra cash that really needs to be invested and I think rather than DCA'ing....selling these puts is more my speed.

Many of you in here are at various stages of your life......have you considered churning bank accounts.....setting aside money in 3% accounts? There's no question that the markets are at an inflection point....if you really need this money at any time in the near future there are other ways to make gains instead of dumping it into XYZ ticker.

Last edited:
I feel like were at a point where we have too many bulls to see prolonged levels of red with all these new RH investors
Unless bulls invest so much more, many will take profits. And who cares about the others lol. That first true down week and who knows. Tesla had a down week awhile back and watching those guys online freaking out was interesting.

They say they're holding for $500 (for gme for example)?but reality says other wise.

Sorry アミーゴ アミーゴ didn't realize we had a personal fiance thread. A lot of these directly involved the stock market but I get what you're saying.

No one but me posts in that thread.

Selling puts can be very lucrative if you’re looking to establish a stock position of 100+ shares. I’ve never done it tbh since most of the stocks I’m interested in are higher in price, but I totally would on a severe correction for stocks I love.
End of the day, if you can’t stomach seeing a 50% drop in your account and you worry that your stocks will never recover, you need to reconsider what you own and probably should head into index and mutual funds. Individual stocks isn’t for everyone.

Selling puts can be very lucrative if you’re looking to establish a stock position of 100+ shares. I’ve never done it tbh since most of the stocks I’m interested in are higher in price, but I totally would on a severe correction for stocks I love.
End of the day, if you can’t stomach seeing a 50% drop in your account and you worry that your stocks will never recover, you need to reconsider what you own and probably should head into index and mutual funds. Individual stocks isn’t for everyone.
Pocket some yield and all that while you wait. I've done it once, but like you said, not many things I'm into are that low in cost where buying 100 shares is feasible. Also, I ended up being a yield pig with it, and ended up going way OOM on it. Again I'm big on just going long ASAP if you have conviction.

We are your friends now ✌👀

Basically lol

Took my $600 stim and put it on btc

Tdoc might be a better long term move, btc been roller coasting

This has been an interesting discussion of how people set things up.

401/403/457 are all low cost total market or S&P 500 index funds, no reallocating. Pretty much a set it and forget it for me. IRAs/taxable are where I'll concentrate allocations in single stocks. I rarely sell unless there's an unforgivable break of trust in the company or there's a major opportunity cost in holding. I used to focus on large cap dividend growth positions, especially in my IRA, but recently have been allocating new capital to small to mid-cap growth positions that have strong growth opportunities.

That said, I'm with y'all on TDOC and ROKU, as well as the e-commerce fintech plays in SE, MELI, SQ, JMIA, TCEHY, BABA, etc. I haven't done enough DD on other tech plays yet to put any size behind them, but took small feeler positions for tracking purposes for skin in the game.

Touching on some other discussions I've seen in the thread:
johnnyredstorm johnnyredstorm Thanks for those Twitter recommendations, they've provided some bear case food for thought, investment philosophy, as well as some feel good confirmation bias sometimes lol.

Genomics is interesting and I haven't done enough due diligence but healthcare is moving in that direction, who the winners will be who knows. If it's too hard, I may just go ARKG. I encounter NVTA at work and they have a solid product, so I may Lynch my way into that one :lol:

Back
Top Bottom