OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

15% off on halliburton stock  how should i play this ?

HAL chart looks pretty solid for a long. 2 nice daily candles in a row, nice uptrend. What is your time frame?

AAPL putting in a hammer candle today and forming a new uptrend. Chart looks bullish to me

Last edited:
I'm about a quarter into "the Intelligent Investor" in order to get a beginner's grasp of markets. I'm enjoying it so far and as a Stats Major/Econ minor, I'm able to follow along with Graham's writing style. The commentary is good too.

What are you guys' thoughts about the book? Too old school?

Any book/blog/website recommendations that can help me get started and follow this thread along further?

Benjamin Graham concentrated on Value Investing. People in this thread tend to be more aggressive, and more active traders. I'm not a trader, but have read "Intelligent Investor", "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" and a few other informative books ... but people in here are quite helpful.

Good luck!

Looking to invest a few thousand, new to this though. Where should I start when it comes to learning how to play the market?

Looking to invest a few thousand, new to this though. Where should I start when it comes to learning how to play the market?

Tell us your investing goals and we can give better (more specific) input. What is your time frame and expectations?

Honestly, my time frame is open. I wouldn't mind a quick profit (1-6mths) but I'm also looking for a longer investment (1-3yrs). I'm pretty intrigued with how the market works and wouldn't mind expanding my knowledge. Looking for a way to make my money make money to help with my clothing line. Trying to start a few businesses can be costly.

is it time to panic?
ohwell.gif
Panic, why?...

You mean because the market is down?  There's gonna be a market crash soon, but I wouldn't say to panic.  Even if you're holding long term, you have enough time to make some cash and pull out.  I'm thinking there will be a crash within the next year or two and then it's time to go on a shopping spree
pimp.gif

You mean because the market is down?  There's gonna be a market crash soon, but I wouldn't say to panic.  Even if you're holding long term, you have enough time to make some cash and pull out.  I'm thinking there will be a crash within the next year or two and then it's time to go on a shopping spree :pimp: ...

Yup pretty much. Seems like this year's been TOO good and everything is overpriced. I feel like things are looking down from here, but then again I know nothing about how the market works :lol:

Yup pretty much. Seems like this year's been TOO good and everything is overpriced. I feel like things are looking down from here, but then again I know nothing about how the market works :lol:
I've been waiting for a correction for a while. Just raise your stops, and be patient. I've been through this a couple of times in the past where I jumped in too early and wound up either losing money or only making a couple of bucks because I was tied down to a mediocre stock versus a leader, patience really is key.

Hold your horses, the market usually does not correct when an overwhelming majority think it will. I'd say the party's not over yet. But if you are holding any positions, adhere to whatever stop or rules you set given your time frame and such if the pain is too excruciating. Just my $0.02.

you looking at anything right now freaky? i've been cash all year since I didn't have time to really follow the market when I was working, and hesitated too much on the 2 trades I wanted to make (aapl and ddd). really think i wanna get into goog some if the prices comes down a bit.

I want to say that GOOG and AAPL are creating an illusion. They are still leaders, but not THE leaders if you get my drift. Just because they are down doesn't say much IMO. The true leader currently is GS, which I also think is the indicator of the market's overall health. In other words, I think GS is what AAPL was last year, it just doesnt move the way it does. I still have my eyes on NFLX and LNKD.

is it too late to get into FNMA? it seem like a good long term stock?

Actually a good time to get into Fannie Mae imo. The government just extended the HARP program to 2015. Net profit per share is $16, but the stock is essentially worthless while under conservatorship. The government is the wild card, a big one. Some more info http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052748704253204578466950395417708.html
http://investorshub.advfn.com/Fannie-Mae-FNMA-13035/

The stock is consolidating/basing for its next leg up, which may not occur for a few months. I am accumulating shares at 1.80-2.00. My mental stop is 1.50-1.60 area. The volume and price action is bullish to me and this is what I look at to make a trading decision. The moving averages are sloping up as well.

Do your own research and due diligence before making any investment decisions.

Honestly, my time frame is open. I wouldn't mind a quick profit (1-6mths) but I'm also looking for a longer investment (1-3yrs). I'm pretty intrigued with how the market works and wouldn't mind expanding my knowledge. Looking for a way to make my money make money to help with my clothing line. Trying to start a few businesses can be costly.

I would suggest reading "How to make money in stocks" by William O'Neil. This is a good start for beginning investors. It gives you an idea of what to look for technically and fundamentally. You can practice using a platform such as updown.com to get a feel for the market. Virtual trading is not actual trading experience but it is better than losing your hard earned money, like I did when I started trading.

FNMA selling off. I'm not liquidating here even though my mental stop was hit. The uptrend is still intact and I feel like the weak hands are being shaken out. I am a little cautious because 1.80 area support did not hold.

I didn't add any today. I want to see how it acts Monday am. As of now I am leaning towards buying more fwiw

Back
Top Bottom