OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

There's nothing wrong with paper trading guys and learning the ropes without any capital on the line. Market is designed to take money from people, learn how to trade before you use real money. We're not being tools, we've been through the ******** and we know what it's like learning the hard way.

I'm 19 and really trying to learn about the rules of investing. I've been reading Money Mag and Kiplinger's lately trying to get a gist of how the stock market works, but it still seems confusing. Should I look to invest this year and if so, what types of stocks would be good for me to get my foot in the door with?

Yo, what kinda scam is this? :rofl:

Capture-29-611400562823.png

I'm 19 and really trying to learn about the rules of investing. I've been reading Money Mag and Kiplinger's lately trying to get a gist of how the stock market works, but it still seems confusing. Should I look to invest this year and if so, what types of stocks would be good for me to get my foot in the door with?

That's great that you're trying to learn before actually getting into it. Do paper trading like JRS suggested. Treat it like real money. Get familiar with whatever trading platform you'll be using.

2014 has been a fairly rough year so far, especially in comparison to 2013. I don't think anyone here would be able to tell you with any certainty whether you should or shouldn't be investing or what stocks to look into. If we did know, we'd all be rich.

Capture-29-611400562823.png

That's great that you're trying to learn before actually getting into it. Do paper trading like JRS suggested. Treat it like real money. Get familiar with whatever trading platform you'll be using.

2014 has been a fairly rough year so far, especially in comparison to 2013. I don't think anyone here would be able to tell you with any certainty whether you should or shouldn't be investing or what stocks to look into. If we did know, we'd all be rich.

Okay I appreciate the advice. 2014's been a rough year so far? The magazines I've read in their outlook for the year said it that the market was supposed to be bullish again. What happened?

What exactly is paper trading?

First lesson other peoples thoughts and opinions on the market outlook are just noise. Follow price n volume not what they tell you on TV or in papers. Check out that Brian Shannon book I mentioned last page. Little pricy but not too dense n helpful if you're serious about learning.

Google thinkorswim paper trading. It's the same thing as trading stocks but there's no money on the line no losses no gains just knowledge gained. Markets tough right now, just study study study.

NEWL's funny Based. All they do is reverse split and sell paper. Should be an OTC soon.

Last edited:
FB breaking out of the downtrend line. Chart posted a few days ago here

EDIT: nvm lol false break so far

Last edited:
I learned the hard way to stop chasing breakouts too close to the break point—in this market at least. Need to be better buying on support and selling some into resistance.

NEWL's even funnier today. Trading PLUG like—looks like short trapping?

NEWL longs are funny believing in this trash. Def reminds me of PLUG as well

FB I don't really trade the big names - will share the charts when I see something that looks decent. Still think it makes a move just needs more juice

Okay I appreciate the advice. 2014's been a rough year so far? The magazines I've read in their outlook for the year said it that the market was supposed to be bullish again. What happened?

What exactly is paper trading?

Actually, ignore what I said about 2014 being a rough year. The Dow & S&P has hit new highs recently; it's the Nasdaq that's been taking a hit (and subsequently me).

Take any analyst's outlook with a grain of salt. If they truly knew, they wouldn't be wasting their time writing columns.

Like JRS said, paper trading is basically a simulation. Playing with fake money.

Last edited:
I stopped watching JOEZ closely.. the volume just isn't what I look for in a stock but if I were to buy it I would wait for a close over 1.03

AKAM neg -- Morgan Stanley tech desk noting that a well known blogger is commenting that AAPL is negotiating w ISPs for their own CDN, a clear negative for AKAM as they are a large customer of Apple.Last week it was cited that Comcast was doing their own CDN and AKAMI was the odd man out.

Gotta give props to Super, I thought he was passing wind with IGC but that's been on a great run past few days.

Last edited:
Gotcha thanks fam

No offense, but if you need to ask this, I'm not sure you should even be messing with stocks right now...what you're asking has nothing to do with stocks but rather the most basic rudimentary concept of buying and selling.

First and foremost do I know you?!? I asked that question for a reason and obv I misread it you ain't help with answer so keep it moving pimp.

This might be a stupid question but I'm new to stocks I bought 250 shares at 24cents a piece back in Dec and I just looked at my portfolio and realized the current value is $61.25 a share at +44.12% change how much would I really cash if I sell? And should I or should I just wait a bit

Cmon son.

Also, it's a bad idea to buy $60 worth of stocks and pay the ~$10 in commission for that transaction. Already down 20% the second the order is executed :x Then you pay another ~$10 to recoup your investment.

Again I misread it let it go.

Dudes gotta relax. The thread is for dialogue and support/bouncing ideas.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with paper trading guys and learning the ropes without any capital on the line. Market is designed to take money from people, learn how to trade before you use real money. We're not being tools, we've been through the ******** and we know what it's like learning the hard way.

*edit* advice is appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Depends what you're looking to trade, Brandon. ETrade is pretty decent with OTCs but they have ****** borrows and their commissions for options suck. I'd say open up an account with ThinkOrSwim in the meantime, you don't need to fund it and you could learn their platform, study level 2, etc. for free.

SureTrader is great if you wanna day trade but have less than 25k (no pattern day trade rule), but you need to use DasTrader which costs like 150 a month. SpeedTrader has no PDT and decent commissions, but it's in a transitional stage from what I gather and will need to improve in time.

My goal is to get myself a Centerpoint account. Only need to earn 40 more gs to get there since you need at least 50k in your account :lol: but you could borrow pretty much any stock you want to short.

Be patient guys, just focus on learning while the market is choppy. Don't be an imbecile like me and cut your account in half because you traded whimsically without a plan or rules.

Edit: that book is getting pretty good Wiz. Thanks for putting me on. The stages of the market graphic is pretty sweet.

original_22965183.png

Last edited:
The Facebook broke the down trend line today. May offer a follow through trade tomorrow

GLD range is tightening. It makes a move soon. Which way ?

Back
Top Bottom