OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Nice run for LNKD today.

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna see if Apple has a pullback before I invest anymore money.
Good luck with that. Unless you're day trading, hop in now. You will make money if you go long. 
AAPL looked good today. I'm expecting another big run up leading up to 2Q2012 earnings. 

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna see if Apple has a pullback before I invest anymore money.
Good luck with that. Unless you're day trading, hop in now. You will make money if you go long. 
AAPL looked good today. I'm expecting another big run up leading up to 2Q2012 earnings. 
laugh.gif
Where's FrankMatthews with another rant about AAPL? What he 'heard' from his watercooler friends. 
I'm telling you this thing is going to $700. There are still many avenues that are unexplored as far as products go, and Jobs left years of research and guidance for the company. Cook seems like a strong CEO.

Anyone do options? I wanna make a trade on BP but I'm a little unfamiliar. How do I do a call-put spread? I'm thinking about the 44 call which is already in the money and the 50 put in the money as well for next weeks chain. Do I buy or sell the call? What about the put? Thanks.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
Where's FrankMatthews with another rant about AAPL? What he 'heard' from his watercooler friends. 
I'm telling you this thing is going to $700. There are still many avenues that are unexplored as far as products go, and Jobs left years of research and guidance for the company. Cook seems like a strong CEO.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.  It's run has been impressive but there is obviously a ton of speculation.  Not really my type of investment at this point.
I have nothing against apple, all I use/buy is apple products.

A split just might give that added boost to reach those insane numbers you are quoting but I don't feel it is warranted.  Someone is going to be left holding the bag
here imo.

I trade options and I advise you not to do it because the volatility is crazy. I lost like 7k in a matter of minutes in January.

Now THIS is my kind of thread, a thread devoted to making money!

I got a couple hundred left over from my income tax return and from selling my galaxy foamposites, you guys have an recommendations on how to start investing and who to talk to?

Originally Posted by rclewis2

I trade options and I advise you not to do it because the volatility is crazy. I lost like 7k in a matter of minutes in January.

What was your trading strategy?

7k wow that sucks. I just wanna use options right now on stocks whose ranges I'm familiar with that I know won't move too crazily in the wrong direction.

Been watching LUV (Southwest Airlines) for awhile, thinking about buying a few hundred shares. Anyone own/have insight? Thx  

Don't many people just use options to hedge their risk? I could definitely see where being aggressive with options could do serious damage, but does anyone have experience with using them to hedge? I'm talking like, you buy a put option on AAPL, allowing you to sell at $340 in order to minimize your risk in case of a market crash. Has anyone gone about trying to create and initiate these types of contracts?

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif

Good luck, hope it works out for you.  It's run has been impressive but there is obviously a ton of speculation.  Not really my type of investment at this point.
I have nothing against apple, all I use/buy is apple products.

A split just might give that added boost to reach those insane numbers you are quoting but I don't feel it is warranted.  Someone is going to be left holding the bag
here imo.
You don't like making money? I'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind why it's not a good investment right now. 
Too bad I couldn't get an options account. I wanted to buy the March 505 calls when they were below $1 in January. Now sitting above $40. 
mad.gif

You don't like making money? I'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind why it's not a good investment right now. 
Too bad I couldn't get an options account. I wanted to buy the March 505 calls when they were below $1 in January. Now sitting above $40. 
mad.gif

You didn't get approved? What was wrong?

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

mad.gif

I'm assuming my income level. I'm still a student for another year. I'm sitting on a fully invested $40k right now and I can't buy options? +%!@++!%.

mad.gif
I'm assuming my income level. I'm still a student for another year. I'm sitting on a fully invested $40k right now and I can't buy options? +%!@++!%.
That's messed up. Which broker was this?

mad.gif
Options really aren't worth the risk.  Unless you damn near got inside information. 

BTW, you can use margin right?

Options are totally worth the risk...IMO

Unless you're clearly being speculative, then you have to be willing to lose it all.

If you believe a company will be at XXX.xx and have done your homework to back up your theory, there's a lot less capital outlay for buying calls. Assuming you're buying OTM with a decent time horizon (i.e - expiration 6 mo's out).

With volatility, obviously that impacts the price, but at the same token, on a depressed day, you could buy your calls or double-down.

When looking at trading options these are the steps I personally take:

1) Use a market scanner to filter stocks with extremely low implied volatility relative to historic volatility

2) Go through each company's financials and research a little about industry and how recent corporate events has affected the company. If I think the stock is heavily over or undervalued based on these metrics I think about putting on an options strategy.

3a) If I think a stock is undervalued I'll buy a deep out the money call with at least 6 months to expire
3b) If heading into earnings season or there are analyst days/industry conferences coming up and implied volatility is really low, I like to put on a straddle (buying a put and call) usually at same strike for expiry in the same month or two (did this with GE at $19 strikes)
3c) I also like using bear call spreads and bull put spreads if volatility is high and I have sense of where the stock is going
3d) If I'm bullish on a company I like buying the stock and then buying a put (hopefully around breakeven price) as the stock goes higher. This is my set it and forget it trade if I get it right.

4) Always put in stop losses

Back
Top Bottom