OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

And yes, Day trading accounts require a minimum of $25k at all time to be able to conduct day trading operations

False you can day trade with as little as $500 with SureTrader or another prop firm. They give you 6:1 intraday and 2:1 overnight.

There are quite a few ways (prop firms) around the pattern day trade rule of $25k minimum balance.

Side note, with longer term investments (3 days+) you can start an account with Merrill Edge, TD, etc with less than $1k. I started my Merrill Edge with a couple hundred bucks a few years ago.

Yes your right, I guess I should've clarified that I was not addressing prop firm's

Just the major retail brokers that provide the easiest and safest access for beginning users

Yea I blew my first $5k in 2 weeks with 10:1 leverage. I was like a kid in a candy store smh. Sometimes you have to "pay" for an education. I definitely did..

A great trader told me the best way to learn is to lose money. Even after hearing that I still had to learn the hard way.

got greedy and didnt sell my rim stock, dropped to under 15...profit of 240 instead of 3k i had....so disappointed in myself

got greedy and didnt sell my rim stock, dropped to under 15...profit of 240 instead of 3k i had....so disappointed in myself
never eeeeeeevvvvevveeer fall in love with a stock. raise your stops and protect those profits man. i'll never do that again and i implore you as well. better to miss the rest of a stock's run up than give back all or most of what you made. there will always be other stocks to profit off of.

bill gross :smokin

Still, investors cannot simply surrender to their entropic destiny. Time may be running out, but time is still money as the original saying goes. How can you make some?
(1) Position for eventual inflation: the end stage of a supernova credit explosion is likely to produce more inflation than growth, and more chances of inflation as opposed to deflation. In bonds, buy inflation protection via TIPS; shorten maturities and durations; don’t fight central banks – anticipate them by buying what they buy first; look as well for offshore sovereign bonds with positive real interest rates (Mexico, Italy, Brazil, for example).

(2) Get used to slower real growth: QEs and zero-based interest rates have negative consequences. Move money to currencies and asset markets in countries with less debt and less hyperbolic credit systems. Australia, Brazil, Mexico and Canada are candidates.

(3) Invest in global equities with stable cash flows that should provide historically lower but relatively attractive returns.

(4) Transition from financial to real assets if possible at the margin: buy something you can sink your teeth into – gold, other commodities, anything that can’t be reproduced as fast as credit. Think of PIMCO in this transition. We hope to be “Your Global Investment Authority.” We have a product menu to assist.

(5) Be cognizant of property rights and confiscatory policies in all governments.

(6) Appreciate the supernova characterization of our current credit system. At some point it will transition to something else.

We may be running out of time, but time will always be money.
Speed Read for Credit Supernova
1) Why is our credit market running out of heat or fuel?

a) As it expands at a rate of trillions per year, real growth in the economy has failed to respond. More credit goes to pay interest than future investment.

b) Zero-based interest rates, which are the result of QE and credit creation, have negative as well as positive effects. Historic business models may be negatively affected and investment spending may be dampened.

c) Look to the Japanese historical example.

2) What options should an investor consider?

a) Seek inflation protection in credit market assets/ shorten durations.

b) Increase real assets/commodities/stable cash flow equities at the margin.

c) Accept lower future returns in portfolio planning.

William H. Gross
Managing Director

* The terms “money” and “credit” are used interchangeably in this IO. Purists would dispute the usage and I would agree with them, arguing for the usage for simplicity’s sake and the evolving homogeneity of the two.

† Outstanding credit includes all government debt as well as corporate, household and personal debt. Does not include “shadow” debt estimated at $20-30 trillion. [ZH: emphasis ours]

My stock fam I am really considering in investing in stocks. I need a little research any good links/ info. Good looking in advance

This thread has been quiet lately... Gonna pick up that book by O'Neil this weekend!.. You guys acquire any new positions?.. I'm playing around with some gold
and uranium stocks..

O'neil's book is overrated? People act like its the bible. Doesn't hurt to read it though.

What I'm looking at: Buy LNKD, NFLX, GS on intraday dips until it stops working IMO. And for intraday only, not holding overnight.

Last edited:
can anyone suggest to me a couple people to follow on twitter who are good at elliot wave theory preferably with a focus on fx markets?

I'm not a fundamentals trader (next earnings report is 2/28 after hours btw) so here is some technical data on JOEZ

-200 day moving average is 1.09
-Price by volume is thick between .98 to 1.23 (a lot of trades in this range which forms support/resistance areas)
-MACD is positive
-Closed just above the down trend line which is bullish
This stock is up 50% since November 2012. And since your post, about 25%. It's going to skyrocket tomorrow due to the nice earnings beat yesterday. 
[h1]Joe's Jeans Inc. : Joe's Jeans Reports 33% Increase in Net Sales to $33.7 Million for the 4th Quarter of Fiscal 2012[/h1]
02/21/2013| 04:05pm US/Eastern

Last edited:
^ looking back at the chart in hindsight (yea I know hindsight 20/20 lol) Jan 4 was a bullish hammer candle. I didn't realize it at the time. Btw, 52 week high today 1.66 on huge volume. Earnings was a week earlier than I originally posted which was the catalyst for the huge day

Booked 50% profit yesterday on AAPL Mar 425/430 put spreads. Looking for 454ish on Monday then short down to 436/428/414.

Been reading up this past week, any personal advice for a new person? Im being as cautious as possible but id love some input

Been reading up this past week, any personal advice for a new person? Im being as cautious as possible but id love some input

Cash is king. Unemployment is still high and last quarter GDP declined. Coupled with the Dow at 14,000 and I don't see reasons to commit money to the market. The game is to buy low and sell high.

You can buy high and sell higher, it carries more risk though. I don't see the upside justifying the risk. If you do buy stocks, I would stick to names that do well in a bad economy like tobacco (PM), fast food(MCD), and alcohol (DEO) Lately these stocks have been rallying hard and I think it probably has to do with future expectations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom