***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

i want this tattoo... same place..
dxfmma.jpg

but the artist told me, it wont work. didnt flow well, and it wasnt a real actual tattoo, according to him. and he also didnt want to do the same tattoo..
took a while to get him finally working on it.. then he came up with this..
riygqf.jpg

i wasnt really feeling this.. i know you cant really tell a whole lot from a sketch, but this angel looked a little bit like a ****** to me..since he didnt want to do the exact same piece, i asked him to make it a female angel, pretty face and that is what he came up with. what do you guys think? am i being too picky?
not too much later, he quit his job at that tattoo place, cause he felt he was doing more drawing than actually tattooing..
anyone know a great artist in south east (alabama), that can do 3d type pieces?

That sketch look a bit world of warcraft to me... plus the drawing standard isn't the best. I'd say you got lucky with dude bouncing.

Don't ever settle when it comes to this ****. Go through blogs and books and find really high level work to know what you should be gunning for.

im thinking of getting this as my first tat somewhere where it cant be seen some where on my upper torso..im gonna also show the sword and more snakes on medusas head, this sculpture is my favorite and the rest of it is incredible. the first image is what i will get along with the other things i mentioned.

i mean just look at this helmet...fiyahh

Anyone recommend any good Black artists? I've been checking out Miya Bailey and I'd really like to get work done by him but I can't deal with the premadonna **** artists start to do when they get popular.

What does race have anything to do with the tattoo artist?

im thinking of getting this as my first tat somewhere where it cant be seen some where on my upper torso..im gonna also show the sword and more snakes on medusas head, this sculpture is my favorite and the rest of it is incredible. the first image is what i will get along with the other things i mentioned.

looks nice.. but you do know that, if they have to go into details like on the helmet, it's gonna have to be a bigger tattoo, otherwise it wont look right, or it will be difficult to incorporate all that detail in it..

Anyone recommend any good Black artists? I've been checking out Miya Bailey and I'd really like to get work done by him but I can't deal with the premadonna **** artists start to do when they get popular.

im guessing that the op is also black, and is looking for an artist that has experience with non-white skin. most tattoo artists arent experienced on working w/ darker skin tones so im guessing that a black artist would have the most experience with non-white skin.

Jun Cha would absolutely make this a beauty. It would also cost you like $5g's lol.

I say do it, it would look amazing if you got the right artist.

In regards to that race questions, I actually would get a tattoo based on a person race if it made sense. Like if I wanted something Latin culture inspired, I would definitely want a spanish guy to do it. Ironically I didn't even do this with my own tat that I just got seeing how Lango is from somewhere in South America. I did it cause I love the shop and of course the artist but I am not that mad at people supporting artists or getting tattooed because of their race.

Mutsuo trailer for the new episodes for Tattoo Age next week. Miami Ink's Chris Garver in the mix as well: http://www.vice.com/tattoo-age/mutsuo-trailer

In regards to that race questions, I actually would get a tattoo based on a person race if it made sense. Like if I wanted something Latin culture inspired, I would definitely want a spanish guy to do it. Ironically I didn't even do this with my own tat that I just got seeing how Lango is from somewhere in South America. I did it cause I love the shop and of course the artist but I am not that mad at people supporting artists or getting tattooed because of their race.
Mutsuo trailer for the new episodes for Tattoo Age next week. Miami Ink's Chris Garver in the mix as well: http://www.vice.com/tattoo-age/mutsuo-trailer
Can't wait. The best tattoo show/documentary. 

It put me on to Dan Santoro and the Smith Street shop. Had to reschedule but it will be worth it.

looks nice.. but you do know that, if they have to go into details like on the helmet, it's gonna have to be a bigger tattoo, otherwise it wont look right, or it will be difficult to incorporate all that detail in it..
yeah i wasnt going to get the helmet in all its glory i was just trying to show the detail of the sculpture, im only going to get the first image,but with the sword showing and  show more going on with medusas hair and neck to show the snakes cuz you cant really tell its medusa without seeing the rest of the sculpture, and yeah i know it will be pricey but im not trying to make it super huge..i just wish there were more og's with their own shops, ppl like cartoon, i used to get these ill drawings from my uncle when he was in san quinn and his celly would draw some murals with aztecs and all types of goodness.

im guessing that the op is also black, and is looking for an artist that has experience with non-white skin. most tattoo artists arent experienced on working w/ darker skin tones so im guessing that a black artist would have the most experience with non-white skin.

Pretty much. Many white artists really can't tattoo dark skin well.

Last edited:
I'll post mine later.

Right Forearm:

Dali's Persistence of Memory with the caption: Ahead of My Time

Left Tricep:

MOE

Right Tricep:

FAB

What are the risk of getting hepatitis and HIV with modern day tattoos?  My mom is a nurse and Dad a doctor and they keep freaking me out everytime I say I want a tattoo they bring up cases of how common it is to see Hep C with tattoos.... I would imagine that regulations and what not are much stricter now and shops use disposable and sterile tools right?

What are the risk of getting hepatitis and HIV with modern day tattoos?  My mom is a nurse and Dad a doctor and they keep freaking me out everytime I say I want a tattoo they bring up cases of how common it is to see Hep C with tattoos.... I would imagine that regulations and what not are much stricter now and shops use disposable and sterile tools right?
They do use disposables, at least my homie does. They also have strict guidelines to follow. It's way more sanitary and safe than what it used to be. It's just that tattoos are still seen as a taboo so they retain that stigma. But you shouldn't worry, they have to show you all the equipment before they use it.

Any shop open for business will have its certificates and permits hanging up to show that everything is up to date, so no worries there. Also the artist should show you everything they use before hand so you know that is it fresh out of the box. Every time I go in for work my girl sanitizes everything in the room and everywhere I will be sitting/laying so I have no worries. Just do your homework before you pick an artist/place.

Does anyone know of a good artist in Austin,Tx? or somewhere close?

Been planning on getting something done, and I want to get it started already. I know a good guy in Houston, but I will be going to him in due time for another idea that him and I have already talked about.

Any shop open for business will have its certificates and permits hanging up to show that everything is up to date, so no worries there. Also the artist should show you everything they use before hand so you know that is it fresh out of the box. Every time I go in for work my girl sanitizes everything in the room and everywhere I will be sitting/laying so I have no worries. Just do your homework before you pick an artist/place.
Places really dont do the whole "show you everything before hand" before they tell you to sit. Maybe in some shady, hole in the wall places. But most reputable shops dont, im guessing cause they have their reputation already and to call them out on opening a fresh needle would something like a slap in the face.

All my artists who are reputable just have me wait in the waiting area til their area is ready and then call me in.

Places really dont do the whole "show you everything before hand" before they tell you to sit. Maybe in some shady, hole in the wall places. But most reputable shops dont, im guessing cause they have their reputation already and to call them out on opening a fresh needle would something like a slap in the face.

All my artists who are reputable just have me wait in the waiting area til their area is ready and then call me in.

i feel you on it being a little awkward to ask about cleanliness/sterile environment, but no place should have a problem with you asking/checking things out before hand. in fact the owner of the shop that i go to does an open house/workshop a couple times a year to educate the public about how safe getting a tattoo is. i haven't asked since my first session with my artist because i trust him and the shop, but it is definitely better to ask or check than to get caught slipping just cuz you don't want to offend.

Well you may be right about your shop or the ones you have been to but at mine she always gets everything setup when Im sitting in the chair so I know whats going to be used on my body which I have no problem with. I don't see how that would make a place shady at all though? And I never said anything about calling them out lol but I've only been to one shop to get all my work done so I cant speak on any other places as a whole.

Not your shop per say, but shops that dont have a high rep may do that to "follow guidelines", or maybe they just dont mind setting up in front of customers. A lot of places like to setup before customers sit, just for convenience, like if you had an appointment at a certain time, im sure artists would prep ahead to save time.

Maybe also since im a regular at my shops they dont do it for me, but I dont see them do it for walk in customers either. Im sure they would have no problem if a customer requested to see the needle/etc being opened in front of them, but I feel their reputation "lets them slide".

Ive been tattooed in NY Adorned 3 times, Red Rocket countless times, and at Northstar Tattoo and never once has someone opened a needle in front of me.

All in all, this isnt a huge issue. Well the cleanliness part is, but if you go to a reputable shop, you certainly dont need to worry.

Last edited:
^Your right it's not an issue, different shops do different things for sure, My lady does it just out of habit more than likely. The main thing is to just educate yourself before choosing a shop/artist so you wont regret anything that will be on you for the rest of your life or be harmful to your health. 

I hope more people decide to post up some of their own ink, I've got to take some pictures of mine.

Back
Top Bottom