***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

How much would a good tip be for an artist? 10%? 15%?

It is a hard debate with tips. Usually the rule of thumb I believe is anywhere from $10-20 and hour with the last session being a bit more. The most I gave is $80 for 6 hours. A girl I know gives max $20 for any amount of work done.

Yo Picasso, that back piece done?
My artist moved to Buffalo while my foot was broke. 
mean.gif

Hes gonna come back to NYC every now and then so ill just have to wait til then. No rush though.

How much would a good tip be for an artist? 10%? 15%?

I have been quoted at 15% but most artist I talk to seem to not care. Like they are used to not getting tips. I usually do 15% but I am told I am a generous tipper

I don't understand why artist dont just ask for the amount of money they want. I would assume an artist would have that type of power, unlike a waitress.

Last edited:
I'm still lost on what ideas I want. I don't want to rush it, but I've been drawing blanks. I'm not sure if I want to start my right arm, or add a couple more pieces to my left either.

I already have artists in mind, and have about $3k I can use... I just don't have an idea that sticks for more than a week.

Anyone have any foot tattoos. I'm considering getting someone done on my foot. Just don't know what though.

Any challenges you have run into while trying to get it to heal?

(Before people say why do you want to get tattooed on your foot. Just a backround, I'm tattooed from the bottom of my neck down to butt cheeks, I'm fully sleeved from the top of my hand all the way up to my shoulder. With japanese art.)
Any examples of what you have or have seen would be appreciated.

Anyone have any foot tattoos. I'm considering getting someone done on my foot. Just don't know what though.

Any challenges you have run into while trying to get it to heal?

(Before people say why do you want to get tattooed on your foot. Just a backround, I'm tattooed from the bottom of my neck down to butt cheeks, I'm fully sleeved from the top of my hand all the way up to my shoulder. With japanese art.)
Any examples of what you have or have seen would be appreciated.

Just letting them breathe. I tried to minimize friction between the newly tattooed skin and footwear so I rocked thong slippers as opposed to the strapped, athletic kind... wore looser socks and sneakers whenever I had to. It also sounds obvious to say "don't scratch" but considering how often I scratch my foot on a daily basis, you may find yourself instinctively reaching for them every now and then, especially when the itching starts.

I have a skull with filigree on my left foot and a grim reaper clutching a sneaker (old school British Knights) on my right. I've seen a lot of people do halved images - where if you stick the two feet together they form one picture - which I personally would never do, but it can look amazing if done right. It's also fairly common to get parallel images on both feet (ex. wolf and tiger), much like a lot of people do when they get both hands tattooed.

I have been quoted at 15% but most artist I talk to seem to not care. Like they are used to not getting tips. I usually do 15% but I am told I am a generous tipper

I don't understand why artist dont just ask for the amount of money they want. I would assume an artist would have that type of power, unlike a waitress.

Most artists don't expect tips - it's a sound philosophy, as not to set yourself up for disappointment - and it's tough to set a price point on their work because it's so personal to them... ask for too little and they do themselves a disservice, ask for too much and they come across as arrogant jerks. I suppose the safest route then is to leave it up to the customer: if they give a little something back good, if they give a lot even better, but if they don't give anything no big deal.

The tattoo artists I've met and have gone to have always been happy to receive whatever they get (if anything) but I've also heard stories of artists who "casually" bring up previous clients and how much they've been tipped in the past to influence your own contribution. Which is just a straight up grimy thing to do, but it happens...

Just had to gas up my cousin. Pretty happy for the guy really putting the dedication into this craft. He got a 8 page spread in Skin and Ink.

10453962_1431152973819830_1285845266_n.jpg

I just tip 20% or so. Sometimes when they do a 5 hour session for like 250 when they are feeling nice I'll throw them $100 dollar tips though.

Repped! That is sick!

Found this.

Also dude with a 5 skin tone (like me) I am pretty sure we can't get tattoos with that kinda detail unless the image is large. If you want something like that it will be a no go from my understanding. Tattoos just heal different on our skin. /:

:\

Just had to gas up my cousin. Pretty happy for the guy really putting the dedication into this craft. He got a 8 page spread in Skin and Ink.

10453962_1431152973819830_1285845266_n.jpg

What's the "I know Mr. Fongstarr, NT" discount looking like? :lol:

I just tip 20% or so. Sometimes when they do a 5 hour session for like 250 when they are feeling nice I'll throw them $100 dollar tips though.

$100!!!

GIFSoup

Yeah if they basically save me a few hundred dollars for a home hookup I'm gonna take care of them. If I go in expecting to spend 600 get charged half that I'm amped so I'll tip fat.

Yeah if they basically save me a few hundred dollars for a home hookup I'm gonna take care of them. If I go in expecting to spend 600 get charged half that I'm amped so I'll tip fat.

Co-sign. On my last tattoo I was booked for two 3-hour sessions but my artist was able to knock it out in one 4-hour session. Due to this and along with attention to detail, I didn't mind tipping $100.

On my first tattoo I would only tip $10-15 per hour, or even nothing all when he cancelled my appointment without notifying me. Depends on their overall customer service

Any great Tattoo artist in the Northern NJ/NYC area you guys would suggest?

Trying to get a full sleeve (even though I'll probably pass out half way, it's all good).

I also don't wanna be on a waiting list til 2039. 

You won't get the whole thing done at once bro :lol: the worst part is right when they start and then after 4 hours or so you start to hate it again.

You won't get the whole thing done at once bro
laugh.gif
the worst part is right when they start and then after 4 hours or so you start to hate it again.
Yea, I also figured I'd have to go in for a couple sessions. Bout to take some Percocet before I faint and ****. 

Is it your first? It's really not that bad dude. :lol: I just saw a chick get her sternum blasted. 4 hours, no breaks. You can do it!

Girl was a certified g for that.

Is it your first? It's really not that bad dude.
laugh.gif
I just saw a chick get her sternum blasted. 4 hours, no breaks. You can do it!

Girl was a certified g for that.
Not my first. I have 1 on each wrist, and 1 on my Deltoid.

I just love art, and have been craving a ull sleeve for years. Just looking for a great artist, not some dude in a basement. 

Back
Top Bottom