Official Trinidad James Thread

I'm sure he just made a mistake.
laugh.gif
it's not that serious
Yeah he made some tweets around the time about the typo and said it was going to ruin in his career, sarcastically. 

I agree Trinidad is getting pushed because of marketability. Same with Rocky. Dude came in the game with the whole ASAP movement, the unique visuals (Peso was an excellent video), and labels didn't really have to do any work except throw him money for videos, promotion, studio time, etc. Same with Odd Future and their whole steez.

The easiest way to get signed is to give yourself a unique, marketable image. And that doesn't mean you have to be a weirdo, look at Stalley and the whole blue collar, average guy steez he pushed. Even Chief Keef benefited from his age in combination with the bangers he was making.

Dudes be grinding for years and be wondering why they never get on, it's because they aren't doing anything that the next 10 dudes aren't doing. You gotta put out an energy that isn't found anywhere else.

Getting labels to notice you is like pro wrestling, you got to amplify your regular personality, steez, everything 10x.

You aren't getting signed if you don't have a huge movement/bandwagon (Drake, Wiz, etc.) or if you aren't easily marketable (A$AP).

That being said, I do think that eventually it's going to come down to skill, and I think while dudes like Rocky will last, as shown by his excellent showing on Long.Live.A$AP . . . dudes like Trinidad James will not be able to make an album with 15 All Gold Everythings.
He wont need 15 all gold everythings, If u peep his mixtape nothing else on there sounds like that track, hes definitely more on a Wiz route Musically. The gimmick just got his name set in stone!

Man If I knew if you were coming in here I woulda baked a cake
Lame duck excuses like this are the reason why rap is so messed up right now .Skills will always matter you don't see rock n roll fans saying oh yeah skills don't matter anymore only pushover hip hop fans do .
Skills haven't mattered since the era of the club banger. That's what modern hip hop caters too.

The "true" fans of rap are a niche market. They simply don;t matter. Take an artist like Papoose. The dude has plenty of skill but he always ******* about not getting enough play time. Why? Because he doesn't produce club bangers. It's simple as that.

It's all about appealing to the masses on a single track (the entirety of the album itself isn't that important any more) and when you do so, you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

There's a formula to producing club bangers. It's no different than producing top 40 pop. Within the first 20 seconds of "all Gold Everything", I knew that it would be a club banger.

The key for artists nowadays is to string a few of these together which in turn confers legitimacy. Then the folks start to look into the non "pop" work of the artist.

Last edited:
Hip-Hop is the only genre where discussions about relevancy, marketing and almost everything besides the quality of the music itself takes precedence and that is what drives an "artist's" popularity. SMH that is why it sucks so hard not because of crappy southern artist(because there are plenty of good south acts).

Hip-Hop is the only genre where discussions about relevancy, marketing and almost everything besides the quality of the music itself takes precedence and that is what drives an "artist's" popularity. SMH that is why it sucks so hard not because of crappy southern artist(because there are plenty of good south acts).
That's because other genres of music were commercialized long before hip-hop. Not only is hip-hop a relatively new form of music (compared to pop, rock n' roll, R&B (an outgrowth of Motown),etc) but it didn't  lend itself to commercialization until the mid 90's. Up until then, the music industry could not commercialize the genre for a variety of reasons. Foremost being that it was associated solely with Black Americans and since Black Americans only constituted ~12% of the population (and on average were poorer on the economic scale), commercialization wasn't viable.

It's no coincidence that we started seeing rap " moguls" in the late 90's, early 2k's. Are Diddy and Jay such geniuses? For the most part they were at the right place and at the right time. They seized the opportunities that commercialization of hip-hop created. Why were there white dudes at the helm or as partners at all of the major hip-hop labels? They were there because they had the connects necessary to commercialize the genre.

The catalyst for commercializing hip-hop was the Biggie and Tupac murders. The era of "gangsta rap", which wasn't appealing to non Black Americans, was over. It was like a clean slate whereby another entity could be created and put in it's place. This is what we have now. Commercial hip-hop.

Last edited:
I tried to avoid this guy forever just like ASAp, but every station and site has him on. The damn song is too catchy, but it is nothing great.

Waiting for him to get all gold braces... Ive watched a few of his interviews, and he seems like a good guy just doing his thing. he put it out there and people feeling it. same as Curren$y, except Curren$y is dope. this dude is @ss. That said, i hope he keeps winning...

I'm not the biggest Trinidad fan, but 'All Gold Everything' came on during my recent visit to the strip club and ohhhhhhhhhhhhh man. :smh::x :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom