OFFICIAL - UEFA EURO 2008 TOURNAMENT

This tourney has really picked up ever since the Italy/Holland match. Spain/Russia, Greece/Sweden, Portugal/Czech, Turkey/Switzerland were all pretty goodmatches.

I'm on the side that says the Czech Republic are over-rated. Their defense is absolutely atrocious, if they didnt have arguably the best keeper in theworld, they'd easily allow atleast 2 goals every match. Switzerland had their chances against the Czechs on Saturday but Cech was great as usual. Remember that match vs. Ghana in 06? If Cech wasn't in net, that game would've marked the end of Czech football
laugh.gif

Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Portugal are the top 8 teams in the world, after that it's a complete toss-up.

how come england didn;t make the tournament?
Amazing defense, piss-poor goaltending, midfield and attack.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

they failed to qualify for the finals. they were in the "tournament", just not the finals which is what is being played now.

did they get upset or something, how does teams like turkey and poland make it and they didn;t....

they failed to qualify for the finals. they were in the "tournament", just not the finals which is what is being played now.

did they get upset or something, how does teams like turkey and poland make it and they didn;t....

They got beaten by Russia and Croatia in their qualifying group.

Turkey and Poland are not bad squads at all... i think the confusion many casual soccer fans make it, while the english premiere league is a great footballleague, it's filled with players from other countries who all return to their home national squads when international events take place. I mean, theenglish team CERTAINLY should be in the euro finals every time out given the quality of players who do reside in england, they also aren't generally quiteon the same level as some other top nations in recent history.

Amazing defense, piss-poor goaltending, midfield and attack.

I wouldn't say the English have a piss-poor midfield. While it may not be the best, or most creative attacking midfield in the world, it definitely hassome quality players. I actually believe if they could develop a good striker/forward or two, they would really be a problem. Rooney is absolute crap, and hesnot really a threat to score goals anyway.
Just look at their results way back when Owen was actually an elite young striker (
grin.gif
laugh.gif
)...Seriously tho, if they had a little creativity going forward up front, they would return to being a top team. And there is definitely no excuse forthem to ever not qualify for the finals in Europe.

Originally Posted by Krisp Kicks

Just look at their results way back when Owen was actually an elite young striker (
grin.gif
laugh.gif
)

I'm looking at the English national team in the 1960s and I can't seem to find his name. Am I missing something?

England have never been a top team, it's just the English media hyping things up. Despite English teams dominating the UEFA Champions League, there ishardly anything English about them except for the land on which they play on. None of the top 4 squads have English managers. Arsenal dont have any Englishstarters, Liverpool with 2, Man Utd. with 6, Chelsea with 4.

English players are generally under-skilled and over-priced. To buy an English player from the 2nd division would cost you double what it would to get aforeign player with 30 international caps.

Capello is going to have his hands full leading up to 2010. England is good enough to qualify but as it stands right now, not good enough to make it to thesemi-finals of a major tournament. As already stated, their defence is very solid. Goaltending is a problem that can be addressed quickly. The biggestproblems are midfield creativity (which relates to skill) and finding consistent strikers. I've been flamed many times on this site in the past forcriticizing Rooney, but I still dont see what the hype is all about. Anyways, he is currently England's best striker, but they'll need to find someoneto team up with him as he has shown time and time again that he is ineffective playing alone upfront in the 4-5-1 formation. Oh yeah, the sooner Capello findsthe balls to bench either Gerrard or Lampard, the sooner England will get back on track.

i think i can say comfortably that Portugal WILL win the cup, with the germans coming in second,
Cristiano & Quaresma>all
30tkle0.jpg

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
If you actually think that the Czech Republic are a top 10 team with a hole-filled Defense, a terrible Midfield without Rosicky and no more Nedved, and a mediocre offense. The only thing top ten about that team is Peter Cech. I'll give you the fact that Turkey is mediocre. Nonetheless Portugal should run through these teams, easily.

As a team, especially in this tournament, they are one of the best. Portugal btw, has a history of never running through anyone... Now that Felipao is leaving, I think this might be Portugal's last chance at a title in a long time...

There are 6 teams in this tourney that are better than the Czechs. So they are the 7th best out of 16 teams. I don't know if I would call that one ofthe best, but that's just semantics I guess. I agree with your last statement though, "I think this might be Portugal's last chance at a title ina long time..."

If you actually think that the Czech Republic are a top 10 team with a hole-filled Defense, a terrible Midfield without Rosicky and no more Nedved, and a mediocre offense. The only thing top ten about that team is Peter Cech. I'll give you the fact that Turkey is mediocre. Nonetheless Portugal should run through these teams, easily.
Name 10 better teams then.

Alright, you are right, there are probably 8 definitive, undeniable teams that are better than Czech Rep. Look at what Carlos Tevez (from NT)said,
I'm on the side that says the Czech Republic are over-rated. Their defense is absolutely atrocious, if they didnt have arguably the best keeper in the world, they'd easily allow atleast 2 goals every match. Switzerland had their chances against the Czechs on Saturday but Cech was great as usual. Remember that match vs. Ghana in 06? If Cech wasn't in net, that game would've marked the end of Czech football
laugh.gif

Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Portugal are the top 8 teams in the world, after that it's a complete toss-up.
That is about the best you can sum it up. After #8, it is a huge toss up, there is a LARGE gap in team talent. But, that said, anyone could winanytime.

being new to this futbol game... now that im older and have more patience to watch futbol, I really enjoy it and with all the new blood and superstars to rootfor its fun to watch...

Id like to support my new favorite players - do they make authentic "kits", the same exact ones worn on the field? Are the $80 ones onworldsoccershop.com the real deal? Thanks

Portugal and Germany would play each other in either the 1st or 2nd round of the knockouts, so its impossible for one to come in 1st and one to come in 2nd.

Portugal does have an easier road to get to the final than most, But I think Germany will take them out in the Semis.

Originally Posted by ConcordFlightXI

being new to this futbol game... now that im older and have more patience to watch futbol, I really enjoy it and with all the new blood and superstars to root for its fun to watch...

Id like to support my new favorite players - do they make authentic "kits", the same exact ones worn on the field? Are the $80 ones on worldsoccershop.com the real deal? Thanks

Yes sir, those are legit and are nice as hell. and yea they are about $80 give or take 10 bucks depending on which team. Also, costs a bit more to get anauthentic name on the back. I recommend the purchase.

Tevez is absolutely correct. England has never been a top team and their hype has been a major result of their self-serving press. Good individual talent, butnowhere on the same collective level as European powerhouses like Italy and Germany.

Good game for Croatia. It should be at least 2-0 in their favor. Germans look tired with all the running their doing.

Great pics from yesterday's game courtesy of Boston.com

Switzerland met Turkey in their second Euro 2008 Group A match on June 11th in Basel, Switzerland. The skies opened up and poured down as the game continued on, making for dramatic images. Turkey went on to win the match, 2 goals to 1. The 2008 UEFA European Football Championship, (Euro 2008) began June 7th and is scheduled to conclude June 29th. (15 photos total)

Imposing dark clouds are pictured over the stadium during the UEFA EURO 2008 Group A match between Switzerland and Turkey at St. Jakob-Park on June 11, 2008 in Basel, Switzerland. (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)

euro2.jpg

A general view as the rain pours down during the UEFA EURO 2008 Group A match between Switzerland and Turkey at St. Jakob-Park on June 11, 2008 in Basel, Switzerland. (Photo by Patrick Straub/Bongarts/Getty Images)

euro3.jpg

Switzerland's Patrick Mueller controls the ball under pouring rain during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Peter Klaunzer)

euro4.jpg

Swiss defender Patrick Muller (L) vies with Turkish players during the Euro 2008 Championships Group A football match Switzerland vs. Turkey on June 11, 2008 at Jakob-Park stadium in Basel, Switzerland. (DANIEL MIHAILESCU/AFP/Getty Images)

euro5.jpg

Switzerland's Ludovic Magnin, right, and Turkey's Nihat Kahveci, left, vie for the ball during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Dusan Vranic)

euro6.jpg

Switzerland's Gelson Fernandes, right, and Gokhan Inler, left, vie for the ball with Turkey's Tuncay Sanli, center, during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Peter Klaunzer)

euro7.jpg

Switzerland's Hakan Yakin, foreground center, and Valon Behrami, right, celebrate scoring the opening goal during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

euro8.jpg

Turkey's goalkeeper Volkan Demirel, right, kicks the ball, following a heavy downpour, during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Peter Klaunzer)

euro9.jpg

Swiss midfielder Hakan Yakin (L) vies with Turkish midfielder Hamit Altintop during the Euro 2008 Championships Group A football match Switzerland vs. Turkey on June 11, 2008 at Jakob-Park stadium in Basel, Switzerland. (VALERY HACHE/AFP/Getty Images)

euro10.jpg

Swiss goalkeeper Diego Benaglio reacts during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey, at the Euro 2008 soccer championships in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Keystone, Laurent Gillieron)

euro11.jpg

Switzerland's Valon Behrami is seen under a pouring rain during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Ivan Sekretarev)

euro12.jpg

Switzerland's Gokhan Inler, second from left, vies for the ball with Turkey's Mehmet Aurelio, right, and Turkey's Emre Asik, second from left, during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Dusan Vranic)

euro13.jpg

Turkey's Tuncay Sanli, right, and Switzerland's Tranquillo Barnetta, left, vie for the ball during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Dusan Vranic)

euro14.jpg

Switzerland's Patrick Mueller, left, Turkey's Arda Turan, center, and Switzerland's goalkeeper Diego Benaglio, right, vie for the ball during the group A match between Switzerland and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland, Wednesday, June 11, 2008. (AP Photo/Dusan Vranic)

euro15.jpg

Swiss forward Johan Vonlanthen looks dejected after the Euro 2008 Championships Group A football match Switzerland vs. Turkey on June 11, 2008 at Jakob-Park stadium in Basel, Switzerland. Turkey won 2-1. (BORIS HORVAT/AFP/Getty Images)

Good match so far. Croatia have played really well. My boys need to put it together in the 2nd half. I'd like to see Schweinsteiger come on. The goal was amistake in defense, but I can't say Croatia hasn't deserved to score. Could be another goal or two in it for either side so far. I expect at least 2more goals in this game.

Come on Deutschland!

Back
Top Bottom