**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

Was refreshing to see a USMNT coach use tactics to gain competitive advantage last night opposed causing self-inflicted disadvantage. 

I don't know why some US media are calling the formation a 3-4-3, looked clearly like a 5-4-1 with Pulisic coming central as a target in transition.  It wasn't perfect, we took away Mexico's possession through the middle but in doing so completely surrendered the spaces on the outside.

Yedlin and Beasley were getting some criticism defensively but they were pretty much dealing with permanent 2v1's situations on the wings for 90 minutes.  Arriola and Pulisic didn't offer enough cover in front of those two, Pulisic's looser role in the structure and responsibilities as an outlet partly excuse him but Arriola has to provide more defensive coverage on the right side. 

The three CB also didn't slide quick enough or far enough laterally for me but I'd expect the spacing and reaction on balls circulated to the flanks to improve with additional experience in this system. We pretty much concede possession by default with this system but it's definitely good to have it in the bag as a strategy going forward. 

Major props to Bruce for starting Kellyn Acosta too, that's why you play the kids in high pressure environments, throw in the fire and see what both heads are made out of. Acosta didn't shrink, actually grew in stature as the match went on, and by the final whistle looked like he'd walked that path a hundred times before. I doubt Jermaine Jones ever gets his job back. 

Last edited:
Agree on Acosta. Dude has grown leaps and bounds since his under days. He is the future number #6

Only question going forward is who are the starters for the team sans CP, TH and maybe Cameron. Don't think even Demps spot is secure anymore.

Jürgen got some good results when he first came on too. Let's see if Bruce can get us to the WC and how they perform.

Jürgen got some good results when he first came on too. Let's see if Bruce can get us to the WC and how they perform.

He also got a WCQ point and he actually won at Azteca too, credit where credit is due. Overtime though the exact same weaknesses JK been critized for his entire coaching career cost him his job with us.

I might be alone on this but regardless how Bruce does the remainder of qualifying and in Russia presuming we make it, he's not who I want for the job come the 2nd week of July 2018.

Last edited:
You would want the USSF to replace Bruce just prior to the WC??

Whatever argument you have for this, its a bold strat.

I don't really care much for Bruce either but that is wild 
laugh.gif

Yeah, if Bruce qualify's to the WC, he earns the right to coach the WC. I can't even think who you could replace him with. No names comes to mind. Maybe Pareja from Dallas??

laugh.gif
 Nah I said when Bruce was hired, don't matter who's available or what the circumstances are between now and the cup, if he gets us out the hole and we qualify I'd be disgusted if he didn't earn the to right to coach the team in Russia. 

Cup will be over by the second week of July. At which point its time to move on for me for philosophical reasons. 

Even if here were to take us past the round of 16, it probably affect my desire for a replacement for the next cycle. 

Last edited:
The WC is slated to end the 2nd week of July 
laugh.gif
 so I had assumed that's what you meant.

Naw I think 99% of us hope to move on from Bruce after the WC.

He also got a WCQ point and he actually won at Azteca too, credit where credit is due. Overtime though the exact same weaknesses JK been critized for his entire coaching career cost him his job with us.

I might be alone on this but regardless how Bruce does the remainder of qualifying and in Russia presuming we make it, he's not who I want for the job come the 2nd week of July 2018.

I'm with you. Bruce isn't the long-term guy and they should be quietly scoping out possible coaches for the next WC run.

^^ Dont think Bielsa would come. He not fluent in English and I just dont think he knows that much about our national team. That dude Roberto Martinez that coaches in Belgium, would be my dark horse pick to one day run the NT. He speaks english and I think he's a good coach.

PIOJO would be cool to have. I love him. But CA just got him recently. I am not sure he would leave for us.

Mourinho? Never been a fan of him ahahah!

Back
Top Bottom