**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

whats on your mind edward
Nickname is Eddie bro

But I’m not surprised that we got bounced out
We probably wouldn’t have done crap in the World Cup anyway so it spared us some of the embrassment on the national stage

Anyway, perhaps the federation should focus more on youth development in the States

Nickname is Eddie bro

But I’m not surprised that we got bounced out
We probably wouldn’t have done crap in the World Cup anyway so it spared us some of the embrassment on the national stage

Anyway, perhaps the federation should focus more on youth development in the States
sorry eddie

idk, I know our current form is crap

but I always looked at how under the radar teams did in the WC (US 2002) always came into the tournament limping and thought maybe just maybe the US could be one of those teams.

Whatever it wasn't meant to be. I'm offering free hugs

I hope the pro/reg conversation comes about again cause it NEEDS to happen. Doesn't need to happen right away but at least within the next 5-10 years.

sorry eddie

idk, I know our current form is crap

but I always looked at how under the radar teams did in the WC (US 2002) always came into the tournament limping and thought maybe just maybe the US could be one of those teams.

Whatever it wasn't meant to be. I'm offering free hugs
I’m not looking for hugs lol
Hell im not even sad
The last time I really super cared about USMNT was 2010
Every time I see that bum *** Michael Bradley choke away a pass and then tries to “chase” after the ball like a paraplegic, I know our team can’t make it far when he’s our midfield link.

The only ones in the team that I’m fond is Wood, Pulisic, and Yedlin (also maybe Morris and Acosta sometimes). Everyone else is just a bunch of emotionless mercenaries. Dempsey helped keep USMNT afloat with his play but he’s old now. He can’t carry this team anymore and there’s no LD now.

It’s time to finally start new. As we should have after 2014.

I’m not looking for hugs lol
Hell im not even sad
The last time I really super cared about USMNT was 2010
Every time I see that bum *** Michael Bradley choke away a pass and then tries to “chase” after the ball like a paraplegic, I know our team can’t make it far when he’s our midfield link.

The only ones in the team that I’m fond is Wood, Pulisic, and Yedlin (also maybe Morris and Acosta sometimes). Everyone else is just a bunch of emotionless mercenaries. Dempsey helped keep USMNT afloat with his play but he’s old now. He can’t carry this team anymore and there’s no LD now.

It’s time to finally start new. As we should have after 2014.
k you're just being mean now

I hope the pro/reg conversation comes about again cause it NEEDS to happen. Doesn't need to happen right away but at least within the next 5-10 years.
That’s just not gonna happen in general for this decade imo, too much money would be messed around with a pro/reg system

MLS just needs to invest more in youth programs
Something like what FC Dallas is doing

Gulati and Bruce better get chopped off ASAP! If Gulati is still the boss in a couple of months, I will boycott this shi t NT!!! I love this team, but Shilati has to go.

As for the players. What a ****show. Bradley, Altidore can go back to their Crappy Toronto team and never come back on NT. I don't want to see any veterans anymore. Just under 23 players. Start fresh.

I'm so hurt by this. Was finally going to be at my dream sporting event to watch the US and we can't even get a damn tie.

Sunil, Bruce gotta go.
The Howard, Bradley, Dempsey, Bedoya, Wondo, Zusi etc gotta all go. Use these next few years to get the kids ready. There's a lot of exciting talent in the under teams but those guys won't get the chances they should if we have a prehistoric coach with prehistoric tactics calling in prehistoric players.

I am not a Twellman fan....but he said what i was feeling after this game. The BS Panama and Honduras results aside...we can't lose to Trinidad we just can't. Everyone that knows i am a huge soccer fan already this morning "so how about the US not qualifying?!?! HAHAA" Like you live in this country too man. This is an overall embarrassment for the united states. I still can't believe we won't be in the world cup....

The thing that makes me mad is the regression we've seen. If this were back in the early 90s when US Soccer was a joke, I could understand but with the great results we've had in the past, the talent we have, the money being put into the team, this is awful. We used to destroy teams like Trinidad on a regular but not anymore.

I was rooting for y'all tbh. My greatest football experience is probably the Belgium-US match in the previous WC. Shoutout to Tim Howard.

As horrible as it is to say, this was probably best for US as far as taking steps forward. If and its a big IF US Soccer takes the right steps now. Keeping the same regime would only be a step backwards. These players have had some sense of entitlement for the longest time now. When we're relying on aging players to contribute then you gotta look at what development is doing, all its done is Pulisic and honestly, I don't know if US Soccer can even take credit for that.

When players like Beasley and Wondo are still being relied on that's when you know it's bad. How many other NT have a 35-year-old mediocre defender in the squad being counted on to come in and put in quality minutes on the pitch? And Wondo? That's self-explanatory, no need for him to be here, I don't need that "experience" excuse from Arena or Gulati.

There needs to be some major changes within the sport leading up to 2022. As much as it hurts for the fan, and for the popularity of the sport in this country I honestly think this is for the best. /rant/

I would assume that the problem lies in a general lack of opportunities, high quality training, educational soccer programs etc. for the youth?
Football is by far the most popular sport worldwide after all, and a large country like the US certainly has the potential to develop a good quantity of good players just off the size of the population.
When you look at the NBA, the NFL, ... even though I don't really watch either of them it does seem like there is a steady healthy supply of talent for both leagues.
Again I could be way off the mark but I would think that the same could happen with more funding and focus on youth programs for US soccer.

I would assume that the problem lies in a general lack of opportunities, high quality training, educational soccer programs etc. for the youth?
Football is by far the most popular sport worldwide after all, and a large country like the US certainly has the potential to develop a good quantity of good players just off the size of the population.
When you look at the NBA, the NFL, ... even though I don't really watch either of them it does seem like there is a steady healthy supply of talent for both leagues.
Again I could be way off the mark but I would think that the same could happen with more funding and focus on youth programs for US soccer.

I think that like any social problem the causes are varied and incredibly complex. Another factor that complicates interpreting youth development is time variance, meaning a data point like a senior national team result is a reflection of youth development 10 - 20 years ago, not present day or even 5 years ago.

The three factors you specifically highlighted have changed a lot over the past 10 - 20 years. If we examine opportunities, 25 years ago there were 0 professional soccer teams in the United States. Right now there are 60, minus the 4 - 5 Canadian clubs who participate in our pyramid.

Quality of training at the youth level has improved dramatically, there's still a ways to go but in the last five years this is the area that I'm most proud of or country for and most optimistic about as it continues to grow. A lot of people who are critical of U.S. youth development never played competitively and don't know what it was like twenty years ago, or they did play and were likely rightfully sickened, then moved on with their lives and are no longer involved to observe the change and contrast past with present.

One issue in terms of the quality of training is that the coaches who are the least open to new ideas and who approach their careers with out a growth mindset tend to be older coaches from past generations who worked themselves up to prestigious positions and will hold on to them despite poor or outdated coaching methodology. It's the same in any industry but yea, there are older coaches who were successful in a broken past system who still have huge influence and they tend to be in positions to work with elite youth players which is a problem.

The education can be awesome but generally falls on the state organizations underneath USSF. Northern California governing body that I'm a member of is amazing. They've have a strong relationship with La Liga and RSFF, they send their coaches out here multiple times a year for educational purposes. Last winter they brought 40 of us over there and travelled around Spain observing La Liga academies for two weeks. I'd already personally relocated to Spain independently two years prior to do the same thing over a longer period of time, but those are the types of opportunities that didn't exist for the coaches who worked with me as a youth.

But we get back to that time variance part of the equation, there has been meaningful structural and cultural growth but that can't help a 30 year old Michael Bradley perform in Trinidad and Tobago. We can't go back in time and alter the youth soccer environment that shaped Omar Gonzalez.

Another challenge is simply dealing with the size and population of a country the size of the United States. With a population of 325,000,000 and a geographic footprint the size of the continent of Europe, getting to the point where the positive change I've highlighted is the rule and not the exception across the country and not isolated in pockets or regions is uniquely challenging, and will take even more time to occur.

I think the single biggest problem hurting youth development occurs in the later stages. There are a lack of opportunities for players as they transition to from young prospects to young professionals. It's nice that we now have lower division professional leagues but they're disjointed and not of adequate professional standard. This is where pro/rel comes in. It's crucial that we adopt a an open pro soccer ecosystem. From a development standpoint alone it would help us grow in the areas we need it most.

Back
Top Bottom