**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

Like some of you stated, part of the challenge remains making high-class development in soccer available to the young ones who have the goods, talent-wise, but have barriers due to the system in place. It's not just about convincing kids/future athletes that are playing basketball, baseball, or football to choose soccer as their primary sport.

With the NBA and NFL, the obvious advantage is free youth development (for the most part). Elite basketball and football players play in their respective High School squad, with most of the funding provided by those institutions. None of that Pay-To-Play crap that's going on with Soccer across the country. There are local U8 and U9 teams here in Seattle that require parents to pay almost $2K annually (preadolescent level!). If kids progress through the local development flow charts, the registration fees go up. Not only that, tournaments where "talent scouts" show up, and college showcases are held, come at huge costs for families who have to pay out of pocket for roundtrip flights to cities all over the country, hotels, etc.

The USSF needs to stop trying to find ways to make the Beautiful Game work with our culture, but instead modify our culture to become relevant and evolve within the Beautiful Game.

Threw up in mouth when I saw that quote earlier.

The lack of awareness and utter obliviousness on display by Arena and Gulati the past 48 hours is Trumpesque.

For what it's worth, there's an emergency USSF board meeting scheduled for tonight.

Some journalist are trying to cover it, hopefully we get information.

I also think they have priced people out of the sport. Development wise we need to make the game more accessible. Here in Sacramento you have to search high and low to find some goals with nets. Obviously, you can make way with pugs, cones or what not but just having the resources to play would make things a lot better for youth. Also we gotta make the game (club soccer, etc.) more affordable to people. Even 15-20 years ago my family was priced out of club soccer. While there are definitely more opportunities now for kids to play the prices they charge are ridiculous.

I also think they have priced people out of the sport. Development wise we need to make the game more accessible. Here in Sacramento you have to search high and low to find some goals with nets. Obviously, you can make way with pugs, cones or what not but just having the resources to play would make things a lot better for youth. Also we gotta make the game (club soccer, etc.) more affordable to people. Even 15-20 years ago my family was priced out of club soccer. While there are definitely more opportunities now for kids to play the prices they charge are ridiculous.

I agree with you. Some programs here offer scholarships and whatnot but I don't believe that's good enough. There's not much actual outreach and managers/local coaches that are willing to develop raw first generational players. The truth is that other nations play pickup soccer in ways that Americans play pickup basketball, flag football, etc; we can't sniff the upper echelon of this sport if we don't develop that culture here in the States. I believe that the interest is there, but like some of you stated Soccer needs to be more available in all local communities if this nation ever truly hopes to tap into available athletes of the future.

I also agree that Arenas should've been sacked instead of being allowed to resign, especially after those ridiculous comments days after being knocked out.

Sup my fellow MNT stans... I mentioned this in the footy thread. I'll put my two cents in here also. US should hire either Juanma Lillo (do your Googles on this man, I've mentioned him before) or Tata Martino. I love Lillo & he'd bring a solid philosophy & tactics to American footy but he'd be a waaay out of the box candidate. Tata is the more viable but not sure if he'd leave his ATL project yet. He's now got experience with 'Murican footy but also experience with National teams & of course his club resume with Newell's Old Boys & my beloved Barca. All the ATL players are raving about how much they've learned from Tata. Both the foreign players & the 'Murican.

I hope Gulati does the right thing & doesn't seek re-election next February. Missing 2 Olympics (2 right?) & this QC is inexcusable especially since we play in CONCACAF. I've read some names bandied about but I'd like to see Julie Foudy. She comes from the program & every time I've read or seen interviews with her she knows the issues facing the national teams but she also has answers on hos to fix issues that are well thought out. She also has leadership experience running the womens sports federation. I think that's what its called.

There is no reason why the MNT has taken steps back like it has especially when the younger teams are doing very well in international pay particularly against really good European & South American youth teams.

arena (not worth caps) was a terrible terrible hire. I really hate when he opens his mouth to speak. I get his accomplishments in Amercian footy especially in my neck of the woods at U of VA & DC United but this fool legit thinks he belongs in the same ranks as Pep, SAF, & what not...

Build more pitches in the inner cities. I see NYCFC doing that. ATL United is doing that. Portland and Seattle have rich soccer culture given their support base. I see kids playing alot around my way (South Florida), we just need to keep building.

Sup my fellow MNT stans... I mentioned this in the footy thread. I'll put my two cents in here also. US should hire either Juanma Lillo (do your Googles on this man, I've mentioned him before) or Tata Martino. I love Lillo & he'd bring a solid philosophy & tactics to American footy but he'd be a waaay out of the box candidate. Tata is the more viable but not sure if he'd leave his ATL project yet. He's now got experience with 'Murican footy but also experience with National teams & of course his club resume with Newell's Old Boys & my beloved Barca. All the ATL players are raving about how much they've learned from Tata. Both the foreign players & the 'Murican.

I hope Gulati does the right thing & doesn't seek re-election next February. Missing 2 Olympics (2 right?) & this QC is inexcusable especially since we play in CONCACAF. I've read some names bandied about but I'd like to see Julie Foudy. She comes from the program & every time I've read or seen interviews with her she knows the issues facing the national teams but she also has answers on hos to fix issues that are well thought out. She also has leadership experience running the womens sports federation. I think that's what its called.

There is no reason why the MNT has taken steps back like it has especially when the younger teams are doing very well in international pay particularly against really good European & South American youth teams.

arena (not worth caps) was a terrible terrible hire. I really hate when he opens his mouth to speak. I get his accomplishments in Amercian footy especially in my neck of the woods at U of VA & DC United but this fool legit thinks he belongs in the same ranks as Pep, SAF, & what not...

I don't think Tata's leaving ATL...sheeet I don't think ATL would let him leave :lol:

I like what Juanma brings to the table from what I've looked up so far. We are better off with a coach with international experience. I like Bielsa a alot but I'm reading that him not speaking English would set him back from getting the job which is fcuking ridiculous. Tab Ramos is a natural fit because he knows our young guys very well. Other then that, I have no idea what direction this damb federation is going in the future.

Last edited:
Gulati stated that he cant resigned because he has the WC bid going on.Fine quit as the president of the federation, but keep the WC bid. We need new blood to lead the program.

As for the interim coach, Who do you guys think will take the job?>>

Gulati stated that he cant resigned because he has the WC bid going on.Fine quit as the president of the federation, but keep the WC bid. We need new blood to lead the program.

As for the interim coach, Who do you guys think will take the job?>>

We can get the WC bid without him, why can't he just resign?!

We can get the WC bid without him, why can't he just resign?!

He wont resigned because his ego wont let him. Dude is an idiot and always will be. The only thing we can hope for is that he losses is bid for re-election in FEB. Otherwise, this joker will stay on.

I'm rocking with any underdog team for the World Cup ... but I'm rooting for France if they get far.

Back
Top Bottom