Official Warriors Off Season Thread

laugh.gif
maybe we could still get DeAndre or CDR...

and there are new brand rumors? i saw some proposed trade on RealGM that was something like Wright, #14, Harrington for Brand but it's obviously a bunch ofcrap.

^a friend texted me that Ric Bucher reported the 14th pick will be traded later next week. and that it involved Al, the 14th, TE/brandon wright for brand.

i guess that's all out the window though. mullin and nelson seem to really wanna keep randolph.

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

^a friend texted me that Ric Bucher reported the 14th pick will be traded later next week. and that it involved Al, the 14th, TE/brandon wright for brand.

i guess that's all out the window though. mullin and nelson seem to really wanna keep randolph.

how does he know?

Yup..definitely. He was projected to be a mid 1st at the highest last year but he didn't declare. he can be a nice backup to Biedrins.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Richard Hendrix!

Its Leon Powe all over again
frown.gif

laugh.gif
i hope not. i was hoping that the warriors would go with hardinafter the powe mess up, but they didn't. i don't think hendrix will be bad though; i have a lot more confidence in him than i did/do in kosta. hendrixseems pretty solid and like an ok pick.

smh.gif
no Hardin
frown.gif
, but if Hendrix really can be like a Millsap type player like they said on ESPN then I'm cool with it. Taking Kosta over Leon was wayworse.
indifferent.gif

Yeah.. picking Kosta over Leon is unforgivable imo

I'm thinking we're trading either Wright or Randolph.

I just wish the Warriors would commit to building a young team or a veteran team. I'm not quite sure what type of team Mullin and Co. are trying to build.If were going to trade for someone like Elton Brand/Billups/Wallace.. we might as well try to go for it all. If not...I think the Trailblazers have a niceblueprint we can follow.

[h2]Flash Anthony Randolph interview from just now[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on June 26th, 2008 at 7:37 pm | Categorized as At-large

We just talked to Anthony Randolph via phone from New York. Sounds like a heady guy for 18, in the middle of all the MSG hoopla, just drafted…

Here's a partial transcript:

-RANDOLPH: I was excited… This is probably one of the greatest things that happened to me in all my life. They led the league in scoring last year, Don Nelson is one of the greatest coaches probably ever.

(I asked him about how he matched up against some of the more physical players in the SEC. Randolph started rattling off some names and I didn't take them all down. But he did say…)

-RANDOLPH: I played against Richard Hendrix… I've guarded bigger players and haven't really had a problem with it, just use my quickness as an advantage.

* Were you surprised to last to 14? Was it concerning you?

-RANDOLPH: Oh no, that doesn't concern me. I'm just happy. This is a dream to play in the NBA. Doesn't matter where I went or high I went.

* Mullin just said you had star quality, which they concluded after your workout last Saturday (with Jason Thompson and Darrell Arthur)…

-RANDOLPH: I just tried to show all of my versatility, my ball-handling skills that I could shoot I could play multiple positions

* Do you know much about Brandan Wright? Doesn't he seem like a very similar player to you?

-RANDOLPH: Brandan Wright's a great player. He's long, athletic. He can play the four, the five. Actually he just texted me a few minutes ago, congratulated me… I'm looking forward to playing alongside him.

* Do you find it difficult to put on weight?

-RANDOLPH: I've been blessed. Some people look at as a blessing but for my profession kind of hindrance I don't put on weight I just get stronger.

I'm up to benching about 220 in college. I think as I keep on being strong in the weight room and really dedicated myself to it, I think my size wont' be a problem becus emy strength will make up for it.

* Do you think of yourself as a small forward or a power forward?

-RANDOLPH: Oh I don't think it's going to be a problem for me. I think I'll do very well. This is my dream.

* But where are you best suited?

-RANDOLPH: Wherever Don Nelson feels he can put me.

* Do think you're ready to play right now?

-RANDOLPH: Yes, I think I can come in and contribute.

* Is blocking shots your favorite thing?

-RANDOLPH: Yeah, I love blocking shots. I think that's one of my best assets. I think that gets your teammates pumped up when you can get a good blocked shot. Defend the basket.

* Brandan Wright had to sit and wait his rookie season. Are you prepared to do that?

-RANDOLPH: I understand that's a possibility. That's a possibility with any one in this draft. We're all new to this league and we're just new to this caliber of play…

* Is see you're a Lakers fan?

-RANDOLPH: Oh I'm a Golden State fan. I don't know what you're talking about Lakers. (Laughs)

* You turn 19 in July… How are you going to celebrate?
-RANDOLPH: I'm going to celebrate in the weight room and on the basketball court.
Dude being a Lakers fan.
smh.gif
laugh.gif

man, the blazers are gonna be filthy for years to come

Bayless
Roy
Aldridge
Oden

gahddamn!

[table][tr][td] [h1]The Kings reached, the Timberolves didn't and more draft impressions[/h1] [/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
textsize.gif

textsize_minus_d.gif
textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif
textsize_plus_l.gif

p1.thomspon.ap.jpg

Jason Thompson was the first senior selected on Thursday night.

AP

advertisement_down.gif

[/td] [/tr][/table]
NEW YORK -- Some observations from a first round that had few big trades and one player on site who kept waiting and waiting and waiting:

Geoff Petrie is smarter than all of us. He has to be. Why else would the Kings' president select a player with the 12th overall pick (Rider power forward Jason Thompson) who was rated in most mock drafts in the mid-20s?

A quick glance at Thompson's collegiate career is telling. He averaged 20.4 points and 12.4 rebounds, but was never really dominant against the weaker MAAC competition. This was the biggest surprise of the first round.

• The Timberwolves got it right. If Minnesota vice president Kevin McHale had screwed up this pick (i.e. by taking Kevin Love), he would be Danny Ainge's assistant (in an official capacity, that is) in Boston by next summer. But in taking O.J. Mayo with the third pick, the Timberwolves got the best available player, a fluid guard who can play both backcourt positions. Mayo will contribute immediately, likely as Minnesota's starting point guard. With Mayo and burgeoning big man Al Jefferson as cornerstones, the Timberwolves look like they are finally headed in the right direction.

Did Michael Jordan get it wrong again? OK, I like the Bobcats' selection of point guard D.J. Augustine with the ninth pick. He's a little on the small side (6-1, 170) but outside of Derrick Rose, he is the best pure point guard in the draft. With a little seasoning and some patience from Larry Brown, Augustine could start in two years. The Bobcats will have to shop 24-year-old incumbent Raymond Felton, who is far too young to be a placeholder for Augustine. Felton is an up-and-coming point guard in his own right and has strong market value.

But Alexis Ajinca at No. 20? To me, Ajinca has Frederic Weis written all over him. At 7-1, Ajinca has the height to play the center position, but he lacks the bulk (he's listed at 225 pounds) and the physical nature to compete on a nightly basis. His enormous wingspan makes him a legit shot-blocking threat, but I wonder if he won't get bullied underneath by NBA big men.

With memories of Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison still fresh in people's minds, Jordan should have found a way to trade up to get Georgetown center Roy Hibbert, who went three picks ahead of Ajinca. Jordan needed to get this draft right.

Memphis took a huge risk. Don't get me wrong, I like Love. I just like him more about 15 spots lower than he was drafted. Love has terrific skills, but his lack of NBA size troubles me. With Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley saying recently that he was going to take a more active role in personnel, I have to wonder who was the driving force behind the decision to draft Love. Brook Lopez would have been my pick but the Grizzlies weren't impressed with his workout. Hey, at least they didn't draft another point guard.

Split decision for the Nets. The Richard Jefferson deal didn't make sense. Yes, the Nets no longer are committed to paying Jefferson $15 million in 2010-11, which gives them more flexibility to pursue LeBron James as a free agent in 2010. But short of Jay-Z's adopting LeBron James, I cannot envision LeBron's signing with the Nets.

On the other hand, the decision to draft Lopez was smart. Lopez is a legit 7-footer whose presence will allow Nenad Krstic to slide to the power forward position. Lopez is also a fairly polished offensive player, so he should be able to contribute to a big-man rotation that, outside of Krstic, is devoid of other scorers.

The Warriors got the steal of the draft. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]OK, so[/color] Anthony Randolph [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]might make[/color] Manute Bol [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]look like[/color] Hulk Hogan[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)], but the spindly power forward has[/color] Chris Bosh[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]-like skills. Bring in[/color] John [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]"Hot Plate"[/color] Williams [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]as Randolph's eating coach. Who knows how long[/color] Don Nelson [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]will stay in the Bay Area, but Randolph would appear to be the perfect fit for his free-flowing system.[/color]

• I feel for Darrell Arthur. After feeling the highs of winning a national championship at Kansas, Arthur felt the lows of being the last guy in the NBA's green room, the result of concerns about a potential kidney issue. Arthur went to Portland at No. 27.

Anyone want a pick? The Spurs, who made it known that they wanted nothing to do with their first-round pick before the draft, selected IUPUI guard George Hill at No. 26. I'm surprised they didn't take a chance on Arthur, who has the potential to play both forward positions.

Back
Top Bottom