Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

You guys just love yuku's multiple sig feature, don't you?
laugh.gif

9ia2za.gif

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Now if we were Laker fans, we'd be demanding change to get everyone good and wanting to win now
laugh.gif
... j/p SoHi
tongue.gif
indifferent.gif
Shush bandwagoner.
It's cause we're used to winning championships, not finishing 8th and acting like we're on the top of the world.

Suns > NBDL Warriors + Fakers.
Pheonix Scums? You kidding me?
laugh.gif

Lakers would sweep them fools, and win by 20+ each game in a playoff series. Snaq is a fat pathetic loser. Raja Fell is a disgrace to the NBA. They lucky they ran into the Spurs instead of us this year or else Steve Kerr would have been fired by now.

9ia2za.gif

Fisher>Roy.
Did I mention Bynum is a better center prospect than Oden?
indifferent.gif

What the hell are you talking about? Laker fans
tired.gif
, this is the WARRIORSOFFSEASON THREAD not a Lakers thread. Get the hell outta here with that crap. And you wonder why some of us hate SOME Laker fans. Not all, some.

laugh.gif
Sorry yall, I was bored.

Fisher>Roy.
indifferent.gif

tired.gif
, this is the WARRIORS OFFSEASON THREAD not a Lakers thread. Get the hell outta here with that crap. And you wonder why some of us hate SOME Laker fans. Not all, some.

laugh.gif
Sorry yall, I was bored.

Obviously
9ia2za.jpg

Fisher>Roy.
indifferent.gif

tired.gif
, this is the WARRIORS OFFSEASON THREAD not a Lakers thread. Get the hell outta here with that crap. And you wonder why some of us hate SOME Laker fans. Not all, some.

laugh.gif
Sorry yall, I was bored.

Obviously
9ia2za.jpg

9ia2za.jpg
9ia2za.jpg
9ia2za.jpg
9ia2za.jpg
9ia2za.jpg

axelfoley=DP right?
laugh.gif
i remember i actually thought that axel was a Mavs fan.

[h2]After the Warriors draft: The TE's unlikely to be used, Cohan doesn't get heroic, what about Harrington?[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on June 26th, 2008 at 11:44 pm | Categorized as NBA, Warriors

Stray bits after bolting out of Warriors HQ still trying to figure out if Portland thinks it can go with a 22-man, $130M roster this season and wondering if Brandan Wright and No. 1 pick Anthony Randolph together weigh as much as Shaquille O'Neal…

* Asked Chris Mullin straight up if, by not using the $9.9M trade exception on draft night, when so many deals where flying around, the odds of using the TE reduced drastically. (I'd guess it went from 20% to 5% chance of using any or some of it by Monday's deadline.)

"A lot of conversations that I had could go thorugh the weekend," Mullin said.

My translation: If it was going to happen, it would've happened tonight. Look at all the chaos that Portland pulled off. That's when the adrenaline is there to do deals. If Chris Cohan was going to be egged into pushing up his payroll for an extra veteran plus another pick, it would've been tonight.

Didn't happen. Probably won't happen. It'll be Jason Richardson for Brandan Wright plus the ability to stay out of luxury tax when the Warriors finally sign Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins.

it's fair to knock Cohan for this. He didn't quite get Paul Allen-like on this one.

* Great response from Mullin to Lepper's question, noting that Sacramento took Jason Thompson at 12, helping push Randolph to the Warriors at 14.

The question: Did your smokescreen about being in love with Thompson work?

Mullin: "Well, I don't smoke. Nellie smokes a lot, though."

I think Mullin would've heavily considered Thompson if he was there at 14 and Randolph wasn't, But it didn't happen that way and Mullin and Don Nelson could not have been happier about it. Or if they weren't happy, they were doing an amazing acting job (Nellie in particular).

* Cohan did not buy the Warriors back into a spot where they could've grabbed Mario Chalmers or Chris Douglas-Roberts and fans can logically conclude that Allen's Trail Blazers will always have an edge on the Warriors because Allen is willing to pay for it and Cohan is not.

I like the pick of Richard Hendrix at 49 just fine-"it's a guy we don't have on our roster," Mullin said, referring to Hendrix's Boozer-like frame-but I'm not sure that he'll play for the Warriors with that jump shot or lack thereof.

* Of course, Hendrix might be needed just to fill a back-up role depending on what happens with Al Harrington.

I think Al could be traded fairly quickly, if the Warriors find the right deal. I don't think Nelson wants him, I know Al doesn't want to be here and with Wright, Randolph, Stephen Jackson, possibly Matt Barnes, Azubuike and Hendrix and maybe another player or two, that's a lot of players at the 3/4 slots.

(It would've been even deeper and better if Cohan had bought into Douglas-Roberts.)

Mullin still likes Harrington's game, though, so Nelson will have to out-argue Mullin on that one. But he might.

* Mullin said the team has not received the paperwork from Baron Davis that would officially indicate that he is not opting out. Of course, that's expected-all Baron has to do is let Monday's deadline pass and he will be officially un-out and on the $17.8M final year of his contract.

I'd expect some interesting things involving Baron and the Warriors, also very quickly. Maybe by mid-July, I think Baron and his agent will make a move-either a trade request or a public denunciation or something, because Baron is antsy. He wants his deal now. He tried to play it quiet, and got nothing.

I think he's about to start playing it loud.

Meanwhile, Shawn Marion is there in Miami, gettable if the trade is right. Baron might be the right thing to offer, if the Warriors are willing to take on the Marion Headache-great player, possible constant whining about his role and his contract.

* One last thing about Randolph: Something tells me that Nelson is more apt to play this guy than he was Wright.

1) He was very worried about last year's team from Day 1, thinking that the previous playoff berth might've been a fluke and that Baron and SJax might explode at any second. He didn't want to fool around with rookies and especially skinny non-shooting rookies. The 0-6 start just made it worse.

Oh, and Nelson also wanted that final season of his contract guaranteed and he figured he had to be winning every game possible to get that. So he leaned on his veterans. He got the contract. But this year coming up could be/ought to be different.

2) He says he wants to play Wright and Marco Belinelli. He has some protection there-if he plays them and the team isn't that good, well, Don only did this at the insistence of Mullin and Bobby Rowell.

And now he'll have Monta Ellis and Biedirns (if they're re-signed) as developing leaders. And he has a team that has won an average of 45 games over the last two years-this isn't a fluke.

I think Nelson might be willing to play Randolph a little. Let him make some mistakes and some great plays. Maybe.

[h1]Second-round pick can throw weight around[/h1]
By Geoff Lepper
Bay Area News Group

Article Launched: 06/27/2008 01:44:46 AM PDT

Since the Warriors' last playoff run hit was brought to an abrupt halt by Utah in May 2007, Golden State fans have wondered why their team had no answer to Paul Millsap. The reserve Jazz forward averaged 6.2 rebounds per game in the teams' Western Conference semifinal despite playing just 17.6 minutes per game.

With their second-round selection Thursday, the Warriors might have finally located that solution in the form of Alabama forward Richard Hendrix.

On a Golden State team that gets skinnier by the day, Hendrix provides a contrast: He is a 6-foot-9, 250-pound banger who is most at home in the paint.

"We have a lot of long, lean athletes," Warriors executive vice president Chris Mullin said. "We felt we needed some bulk, and rebounding is an issue for us. Just his physical stature is something different from what we have. . . . He's a guy we don't have on our roster."

Hendrix averaged 17.8 points and 10.1 rebounds per game last season as a junior for the Crimson Tide. As for the Millsap comparison, Hendrix would like to match that level of play, and then go beyond it.

"I definitely feel that (Millsap) has a great style where he brings energy and confidence to his Utah team," Hendrix said. "I feel like I can do the exact same thing, including rebounds, doing a lot of the dirty work and being in the right place at the right time. I take a lot of pride in that."

• The Warriors did not use their trade exception Thursday to move up, but that doesn't mean they won't use it. Golden State has until Monday to add another player or combination of players worth $10 million, and Mullin wouldn't close the door to that possibility: "A lot of conversations that I had could go through the weekend."

• On his official NBA bio, Anthony Randolph listed the Los Angeles Lakers as his favorite team. After joining the Warriors as the No. 14 overall selection, Randolph was changing his tune.

"I'm a Golden State fan," Randolph said. "I don't know what you're talking about. Lakers?"

• When Seattle selected him with the No. 4 pick, Russell Westbrook became the first UCLA player to crack the top 10 since Warriors point guard Baron Davis was tapped No. 3 by the Charlotte Hornets in 1999.

• Randolph will wear uniform No. 4 vacated last season by Chris Webber. Hendrix will take the No. 35 formerly worn by Brian Cardinal and Erick Dampier.

[h1]Golden State 'amazed' freshman was available[/h1]
6-10 AND 197 POUNDS: ANOTHER YOUNG, SLIM BIG MAN FOR NELLIE null

By Geoff Lepper
Bay Area News Group

Article Launched: 06/27/2008 01:37:37 AM PDT
In retrospect, the Warriors could have saved a lot of money on their cell-phone bills.
After churning through their contact lists in an attempt to improve their ill-positioned first-round selection, one of the most talented players in the draft tumbled right into the Warriors' path Thursday night.

Freshman forward Anthony Randolph of Louisiana State, who just a couple of weeks ago had been expected to merit a top-10 selection, instead slipped all the way to No. 14, where Golden State eagerly snatched up the athletically gifted but scale-challenged forward, who is 6-foot-10 and 197 pounds.

"We were sitting there, kind of amazed he was still there (on the board)," Warriors executive vice president Chris Mullin said. "I was surprised all the way through. I thought each pick was potentially that he would be gone. There were guys on the board we liked, but no one as much as him.

"I think the best-case scenario happened for us at 14."

It was the first time since 2000 - when the Warriors finally finished paying off the Chris Webber trade from six years earlier - that Golden State came out of draft day without one of the top 11 picks. Talent-wise, Randolph probably ranked among that group, but rumors of mediocre workouts knocked his stock down.

"This is the dream, to play in the NBA," Randolph said. "It doesn't matter where I went or how high I went."

Warriors Coach Don Nelson didn't say much Thursday, but earlier this week, he gave Randolph's hometown newspaper, the Dallas Morning News, a succinct description: "Star."

That was a unanimous sentiment in the Warriors' draft room, where Mullin had been searching for a player with star potential, rather than just settling for a solid pro.

"We feel he has star quality. We feel fortunate to have him," Mullin said. "For our system he can play multiple positions. Obviously he's long and athletic. I don't think there's a ceiling for him right now."

Nelson had flooded the media for days with suggestions that his team was chasing Rider forward Jason Thompson, and the gambit appeared to work when Sacramento, choosing 12th, passed on Randolph in favor of Thompson. When Portland selected Kansas guard Brandon Rush, Golden State was in the clear.

"I don't smoke," Mullin said of the subterfuge. "Nellie smokes a lot, though."

With his build, and being left-handed, the 18-year-old Randolph bears an extraordinary physical resemblance to last year's top Golden State rookie, Brandan Wright. But where Wright played primarily at power forward last season, Mullin said he envisions Randolph as a small forward to begin with, possibly going to shooting guard or power forward as the situation dictates.

Wherever he plays, Mullin expects that Randolph will be able to create mismatch problems.

"He does handle the ball and he makes plays that we feel are NBA plays," Mullin said. "He's a 6-10 long player, so if (opponents) play small on him, you can give him the ball and let him go over people. They play big on him, he has the ability to handle the ball, put it on the floor and get his own shot."

Randolph worked out for the Warriors at their headquarters Saturday, along with Thompson and Kansas forward Darrell Arthur, and clearly outshone the two other players, Mullin said.

As one of the youngest players taken in the draft - Randolph turns 19 on July 15 - one thing Randolph does not do is provide the Warriors a ready-made boost to last season's 48-win team, meaning that will have to come through a trade or free agency.

"Maybe it takes a little bit of time (to develop), but the talent is what you're looking for," Mullin said.

With his slight frame, Randolph would seem to be destined for problems guarding larger specimens in the NBA. But he said he was able to match up without problem against bigger players in the Southeastern Conference - including new teammate Richard Hendrix, a 6-9, 250-pounder from Alabama who was selected in the second round with the No. 49 overall pick.

"Some people look at it as a blessing, but for my profession it's kind of a hindrance; I don't put on weight, I just get stronger," Randolph said. "I think my size won't be a problem because my strength will make up for it."

so you pick a guy that works well with in the nelly system, yet you don't really know if nelly will be around after this year....#++?

yeah pretty much cohan will never pony up the money for the team to be great.

maybe if we're lucky with cohan, we'd be good. but there's no conceivable way that our team will go far with his ownership

dude that mix of randolph got me all pumped...he definitely can play the 3 with his weight...but can he slide his feet fast enough? he is definitely fasterthan wright, jumps higher than wright, shoots better than wright, handles better than wright, oh man and i was looking at his drop step post moves...im lovingit. i love guys with a great drop step. but i think wright can rebound better and block better.

can't the owner of oracle already buy this damn team?

I would imagine if we promote personnell from within to take over when Nelly departs, then we will keep the same style.

Obviously, Monta seems to play well in that, and he's our future, so the offensive philosphy and principles should remain.

This hinders on a lot, but from what Mullin said in the interview, Randolph can play the 3/4, beginning at the 3 till he puts on weight. That makes sense, andI'm ok with that.

I actually like the Hendrix selection, although I don't know a ton about him...he looks like he can be our Millsap/Landry type that we desparately needed.

I don't understand the notion that cohen won't pony up the money; I think he'll spend the money up till the salary cap and I'm ok with thattoo. Plus it makes our GM and executives work harder to find good players worthy of contracts than slanging endless dollars to lackluster players.

I would have preferred Jason Thompson over Randolph, but Sacramento screwed that up. Something is up with Arthur for him to slide that far, so either that willcost us, or we made the right decision.

Harrington definitely (and rightfully so) seems to be the odd man out. Maybe we can grab a serviceable backup PG and a pick (here's hoping) for him.

As of right now, the day AFTER the draft, I give the Warriors draft a B. Didn't do anything utterly stupid, didn't shock me, etc.

Thoughts?

Can we also keep the other junk out of this thread till like August or something?

I wish we could have traded for CDR. I think he would have given us legit guard size and defense, instead of putting Baron and Monta on the likes of Kobe, JoeJohnson, etc.

As for Arthur, I think he'll be a helleva pick IF he can rebound and play defense. Although his ceiling isn't too high imo.

I know some ppl aren't too excited about taking another project and the Warriors not making a dynamic trade. As much as I would like for the W's tocompete for the title now, I don't think thats going to happen. I don't think they're any trades out there (even Elton Brand) that put us over thetop against the Lakers, Spurs, and Celtics.

Realistically, I think we're building to compete now and contend later against the future West megapowers - Lakers,Blazers,Hornets.

Maybe we could trade Harrington for someone like Raymond Felton??
Memphis has a handful of guards now..Critteton or Lowry?
Marvin Williams in Atl? I don't think that would work because ATL needs cap space to re-sign Josh Smith..but I'd explore the possibility. I also forgotthat Al in ATL didn't pan out the 1st time.

when i watched that mix, the first thing that popped into my mind was Chris Bosh. on the fast break he looked extremely fast for a play of his height. unlikemost lefty's he was dribbling evenly with both hands and on the first clip he finished with his right and it looked natural. i'm really excited to seewhat he does in summer league.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

so you pick a guy that works well with in the nelly system, yet you don't really know if nelly will be around after this year....#++?

Oh, Nellie will be gone after this year... don't count on him coming back. Our future head coach appears to be Keith Smart, one of our assistant headcoaches on Nellie's staff. So even if Nellie will be gone, I think his offensive style of play won't be gone when Smart takes over. I just hope thatSmart holds his players accountable on the defensive end more than Nelson did
ohwell.gif

Man this video had me dying.
-Kevin Love is the man.
-Brook will be better than the Slav
laugh.gif

-Robin apparently speaks in a bizarre twin language
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I don't understand the notion that cohen won't pony up the money; I think he'll spend the money up till the salary cap and I'm ok with that too. Plus it makes our GM and executives work harder to find good players worthy of contracts than slanging endless dollars to lackluster players.
I would normally agree with you on this one LazyJ10. I understand what you're saying though in notsigning busts to big deals (word to Dunleavy and the like). It was hard to get out from under those contracts but we did... and boy was it a relief when wedid. Now we have the financial flexibility we haven't had in a while. But then again, it wouldn't hurt to spend a little more cash to help your teamget better too. If a player is out there that we know can help us but we can't sign him/acquire him because we're worried about the cap, then that justhinders us from getting better too.

Personally, I think we need a good mixture of both good scouting and smart spending without worrying about going a little over the cap.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I don't understand the notion that cohen won't pony up the money; I think he'll spend the money up till the salary cap and I'm ok with that too. Plus it makes our GM and executives work harder to find good players worthy of contracts than slanging endless dollars to lackluster players.
I would normally agree with you on this one LazyJ10. I understand what you're saying though in not signing busts to big deals (word to Dunleavy and the like). It was hard to get out from under those contracts but we did... and boy was it a relief when we did. Now we have the financial flexibility we haven't had in a while. But then again, it wouldn't hurt to spend a little more cash to help your team get better too. If a player is out there that we know can help us but we can't sign him/acquire him because we're worried about the cap, then that just hinders us from getting better too.

Personally, I think we need a good mixture of both good scouting and smart spending without worrying about going a little over the cap.

I see what you're saying Paul, and definitely agree too. Who in this free agent class is worth it though? Given our chemistry, as is, right now. Next year when Baron most likely moves on and we're Al-less, we've set ourself up NICELY to grab a good free agent. I mean, I don't think Bronwould come here (although he did moonlight for the Oakland Soldiers....) but with a young cheap nucleus we'll be compeitive which isn't anything totake for granted given our history in the 90's and early 00's.

I think some writers (TK, I see you) try and label Cohan as Sterling, and that's not true. I don't blame the man for not wanting to go over theCap, but its not like he's been cheap. I mean, we'll resign Monta and young Andris...that shows you something....etc

Back
Top Bottom