Official Warriors Season Thread

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

I go to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Honestly, I hate it
laugh.gif
. It just ain't me. It isn't even really in So Cal (more like the central coast) but it is way to "So Cal" for me if you know what I mean
laugh.gif
. I kind of wished I went to UCI even though that is way more in So Cal
laugh.gif
or just went to SJSU. But yeah dude if UCB is a choice, I would definitely go there. That would probably be the perfect choice for me.

I have to jump into this one. Calpoly is way to Northern California. There are so many hillbilly hicks going to this school and you know all them guysare coming from areas like Tracy, Sacramento, Fresno and other northern central valley hotspots. Not to mention that when the Warriors finally made theplayoffs last year, all of a sudden you see every other person wearing Warriors jerseys on campus. Every 3rd person I meet on campus is from the Bay Area. Besides, you are going to Calpoly because it is going to get you a Job and $$$. Employers like to see that SLO on your resume. I will agree that I am sick ofthis area though, except I need to get back to where it is more SoCal.

Originally Posted by dland24

Sorry bro, that wasnt a raise. Losing to the weak @ss bulls without their three best players is worse than losing to the worst team at full strength. Period.

With that being said....tomorrow is a must win.

at first i completely forgot we lost that bulls game without their best players in, all i remembered from watching that game was Duhon going completelynuts on us and getting pissed off from hearing the Joakim Noah scream
tired.gif
laugh.gif
. but yea, i guess that was worse. but both those losses (andsome other crappy losses like the pacers and bobcats), sadly, could be looked at heavily if we don't make the playoffs, as well as the game onmonday
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

Not to mention that when the Warriors finally made the playoffs last year, all of a sudden you see every other person wearing Warriors jerseys on campus.
It's not just a Cal Poly thing. It happened here at UCSD too, and I'm sure other CA campuses well.

[h1]Warriors rely on the three-pointer[/h1]
By Mark Emmons
Mercury News

Article Launched:�03/27/2008 01:45:07 AM PDT

The way Baron Davis tells it, the Warriors rarely come racing down the court intending to hoist a three-point shot. It's not by design. Don Nelson doesn't call for one from the bench.

It sort of just happens.

Again and again and again.

"It's so enticing," Davis said. "We're all obsessed with it, and we know we can get on a roll. We've been doing it all season, so why stop now?"

That obsession helps explain why the Warriors are on pace to break the NBA record for three-pointers attempted in a season. The NBA's highest-scoring team, the Warriors have become the Costco of the NBA.

They shoot in bulk.

And launching nearly 27 three-point shots per game, the Warriors say, actually is disciplined in their frenetic, run-and-gun offensive style that makes them such a compelling high-wire act.

"Absolutely," Stephen Jackson said. "If Coach doesn't complain about it, then shooting them is definitely the right thing to do. And Coach hasn't said anything to us yet."

That's because there is a method to the madness.

The record for three-pointers attempted is 2,155 - an average of 26.28 per game - by the 2002-03 Boston Celtics. Thus far this season, the Warriors have put up 1,881 three-pointers, an average of 26.87 per game.

In the parlance of playground gunners everywhere, the Warriors have no conscience.

It's easy to get carried away, said Davis, who leads the team in three-point tries with 448.

"Any

time you play the way we do, going up and down the court, you can get caught up in the moment," he said."If you're making a run, the crowd gets into it and you just get that feeling. It can be hard to control that urge."

Then it's bombs away.

When they're falling, Warriors' games can be a breath-taking blur. Take Sunday's 115-111 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers. Jackson, who has attempted 425 three-pointers despite missing nine games, hit two in the final 38.5 seconds of the thrilling win.

Those kinds of clutch shots have become a Jackson specialty. ("Jack's been shooting lights out," Davis said.) And the three-pointer is the Warriors' knockout punch.

"That team takes a lot of air out of your sails with the way they run and that barrage of three-point shooting," Milwaukee Coach Larry Krystkowiak said after the Warriors sank 15 of 22 tries in a 30-point win this season.

Although it often looks as if the Warriors' offensive strategy is little more than first guy down the court gets to chuck it, Nelson makes clear there is strategy involved.

"It's just part of the way that we have to play," Nelson said.

He has his reasons.

• Risk-reward. A longer shot should be a tougher shot. But Nelson notes that good ball movement often leads to a wide-open look from beyond the arc instead of a contested shot closer to the basket.

"Plus, you get 50 percent more for making a three instead of a two," he added. "That's why we practice it so much."

• Spacing. Making opponents defend the perimeter creates room inside. And the Warriors have two of the NBA's best players in attacking the basket - Davis and Monta Ellis.

"We have two point guards who are really good at penetrating, and they need room," Nelson said. "If we don't keep the defense honest, the lane gets clogged. And if the defense does do that, we should have an open three."

Space in the paint also has contributed to center Andris Biedrins' NBA-best field-goal shooting (62.2 percent).

• Rebounds. The Warriors haven't been, and probably will never be, a very good rebounding team as long as they embrace small-ball. Their rebounding differential (minus 4.38) is second-worst in the league behind only Miami.

That said, a missed three-pointer can often result in a long rebound.

"And we do seem to chase down those well," Nelson said.

• Run, Run, Run. The shot, a primary weapon in the Warriors' up-tempo game, helps lure opponents into a fast-paced game that almost always favors Golden State.

"When our three-point shot is going down, I know I can pretty much do anything else I want on the court," Davis said. "It's hard for teams to guard us when we're hitting the three ball."

Open shots

Warriors executive Chris Mullin said he often will be watching a game with someone who expresses amazement at how many - and how quickly - Golden State shoots from the outside.

"Our philosophy always is if you have the open shot, that's a good shot," Mullin said. "You take it - no matter how much time is on the clock."

But he didn't know his team was firing up three-pointers like no team in NBA history.

"Actually, I thought you were going to say we're on record pace for making them," he said.

Sorry, Chris.

The Warriors' 35.1 percentage from beyond the arc is only 20th-best in the league. (Toronto, which has attempted 602 fewer three-pointers than Golden State, is best at 40.2 percent.)

And such reliance on perimeter jumpers, of course, is a double-edged sword. As the Warriors were getting knocked out of the playoffs last spring, they made only 6 of 30 three-pointers in the 100-87 loss to Utah that eliminated Golden State.

"We just missed them," Davis said at the time.

And they just started taking them again this season.

Near the All-Star break, Nelson had predicted the Warriors would cut down on three-pointers. Instead, the Warriors started shooting more.

"I lied to you," he joked. "We do go overboard once in a while, and I try to suggest to them that it's not an individual thing, it's a team thing. When the team has missed two or three threes in a row, we don't need another one. We need a penetrating play."

Maybe that's what he says. But that's not necessarily what the players hear.

When asked if shooting too many ever was a problem, Jackson had a ready answer.

"Only when we lose."

Warriors better win today because they'll gain a game either way with the Mavs going against Nuggets. Also, Brandon Roy may be done for the season so theDubs should run the Blazers out the gym today.

Originally Posted by daprescription

"Absolutely," Stephen Jackson said. "If Coach doesn't complain about it, then shooting them is definitely the right thing to do. And Coach hasn't said anything to us yet."

Nellie has to say something then... he has to address it more. We gave the Lakers two opportunities to come back on us because we fall in love with the 3too much. We weren't hitting them and we still took 3's.

The result: 1-1 which could have been 2-0.

berkley? overrated. the ugliest girls go there, no joke. and competition is fierce.

goto irvine. it's a vastly improving school (we've already surpassed Davis in the UC system and will leapfrog over ucsd within the next few years dueto expanding majors). we also have pretty hot girls, but socal does in general.

oh, and Yuri and Kaba Modern from MTV's Next Best Dance Crew went to irvine, haha.

IRVINE FTW. you should visit other campuses before making your decision to berkley though...just a thought.

Originally Posted by 8tothe24

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

I go to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Honestly, I hate it
laugh.gif
. It just ain't me. It isn't even really in So Cal (more like the central coast) but it is way to "So Cal" for me if you know what I mean
laugh.gif
. I kind of wished I went to UCI even though that is way more in So Cal
laugh.gif
or just went to SJSU. But yeah dude if UCB is a choice, I would definitely go there. That would probably be the perfect choice for me.

I have to jump into this one. Calpoly is way to Northern California. There are so many hillbilly hicks going to this school and you know all them guys are coming from areas like Tracy, Sacramento, Fresno and other northern central valley hotspots. Not to mention that when the Warriors finally made the playoffs last year, all of a sudden you see every other person wearing Warriors jerseys on campus. Every 3rd person I meet on campus is from the Bay Area. Besides, you are going to Calpoly because it is going to get you a Job and $$$. Employers like to see that SLO on your resume. I will agree that I am sick of this area though, except I need to get back to where it is more SoCal.
laugh.gif
. I don't know, I think it is way to So Cal. All I know is that it ain't nothing like the Bay Area. And yeah, I am ONLY going here forEngineering.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

(we've already surpassed Davis in the UC system and will leapfrog over ucsd within the next few years due to expanding majors)
[Charlie Murphy]WRONG![Charlie Murphy]

first of all it is the complete opposite. irvine was above davis in the rankings and now we have leapfrogged over them. second, if you're in to asianchicks then go to irvine. if not go anywhere else. they call UCI the university of chinese immigration for a reason....

We'll, i guess no one here goes to SF state huh....hahahah....

Warriors should win (should), and hopefully put their bench in to give their staters some exteneded rest till the back to back this weekend

i disagree with Davis leapfrogging UCSD (i may seem biased but i'm trying not to be, haha), UCSD is also expanding its majors and offering new things, likethey just opened a new school of management. honestly though, whatever UC u go to doesn't make all that big of a difference. the prestige factordoesn't matter all that much, u learn the same stuff no matter where u go

\/he also said they'd leapfrog UCSD in a few years

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

berkley? overrated. the ugliest girls go there, no joke. and competition is fierce.

goto irvine. it's a vastly improving school (we've already surpassed Davis in the UC system and will leapfrog over ucsd within the next few years due to expanding majors). we also have pretty hot girls, but socal does in general.

oh, and Yuri and Kaba Modern from MTV's Next Best Dance Crew went to irvine, haha.

IRVINE FTW. you should visit other campuses before making your decision to berkley though...just a thought.

Irvine sux0rZ

Irvine FTMFL

yo enlightened what year are you? davis (unfortunately) has passed us in UC rankings. Irvine is improving, but i really don't see us catching up to UCSDsoon. especially not with buildings like the BSU3 near the Star Trek Sci-Li
laugh.gif

ucd is lame-o, but i guess it is moving up in rankings. i heard that it was extremely hard to get into ucd this year. this prolly means fugly freshman girls =/

I just went back and read the first 20 pages of the season thread
laugh.gif
.JapanAir said the Webber would never sign with the Warriors in one of the earlier pages
laugh.gif

yo enlightened what year are you? davis (unfortunately) has passed us in UC rankings. Irvine is improving, but i really don't see us catching up to UCSD soon. especially not with buildings like the BSU3 near the Star Trek Sci-Li
laugh.gif

I'm a third year. yourself?

hm, we were just in front of davis at the start of this school year. and santa barbara. oh well. it's still apart of the UC system, and every schoolwill be solid in its program. however, irvine's environment is better than davis, i believe all you can do there is go cow-tipping...(haha).

i think irvine has pretty looking girls, and not just asian. remember that it's in socal, near huntington, newport and the rest of the beaches. you getyour choice.

and JapanAir, lots of japanese beezies too man
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

I just went back and read the first 20 pages of the season thread
laugh.gif
. JapanAir said the Webber would never sign with the Warriors in one of the earlier pages
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I need to go back and read through the early parts of this thread.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom